Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 1960's Trifecta.

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

They really advertised these three coins in the late 1960's For a kid with no, or very little money, these became holy grails.

Yep. They were heavily advertised. I did manage to get the 1970-D Kennedy and the 1960 Lincoln Small date. I still have the Kennedy, but the 1960 Small Date Cent is gone. I regretfully had to sell my Lincoln set with the 60 P Small Date.

The 1950-D I never had, bought, or found.

I guess it's time to reflect. Heck, it was a real good time to be a collector.

I hope the present day brings the memories I had to a new set of collectors.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was young enough to recall looking for Standing Liberty quarters in change. I never found one, but I know they were out there. I would come across an occasional Buffalo nickel or even a Mercury dime- this being the mid 60's when I was riding around on our Schwinn bicycles.

peacockcoins

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I well recall the days of having WLH's, SLQ's, Merc, IHC's and Buffs in change...Even an occasional Columbian quarter. The days of silver and no clad... Was a great time to be interested in coins. Cheers, RickO

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I well recall the days of having WLH's, SLQ's, Merc, IHC's and Buffs in change...Even an occasional Columbian quarter. The days of silver and no clad... Was a great time to be interested in coins. Cheers, RickO

You mean one of these quarters? I don't think I've ever even looked at one!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

@moursund ... No, the other commemorative quarter. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:

What? What? Post an image!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found three 1950-D nickels in change during the early 1960's. Never found a 1939-D though. And never ran across a 1960 Philly small date cent in change, even though I lived on the East Coast.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I can’t tell if @ricko is being snarky or thinking of the half dollar 🤔

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to say one thing when kids where kids back then you did what you had to do if you wanted something and it wasn’t illegal. Hard work and save save save.

Hoard the keys.

@airplanenut ... @moursund ... Not being snarky.... Actually was thinking of the half dollar. Getting old guys, :D;) Mea culpa....Cheers, RickO

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@ricko said:

You mean one of these quarters? I don't think I've ever even looked at one!

I always thought it was strange that the first two US legal tender coins which showed real persons showed foreigners.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

Are you referring to the 1932 quarter which commemorated the 200th birthday of George Washington and two years later was made into a regular issue coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall ... No, brain fog, was thinking of the half dollar....Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2022 6:14AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    They really advertised these three coins in the late 1960's For a kid with no, or very little money, these became holy grails.

Yep. They were heavily advertised. I did manage to get the 1970-D Kennedy and the 1960 Lincoln Small date. I still have the Kennedy, but the 1960 Small Date Cent is gone. I regretfully had to sell my Lincoln set with the 60 P Small Date.

Pete

Why were they advertising the 1970-D Kennedy in the 1960s? Was there some anticipation that the upcoming coin would be rare?

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the Lincoln cent with the little image of Kennedy added was one of the most highly marketed coins in the 60s.

All those cowinkydinks, Kennedy and Lincoln both had a lot in common with one another.

Never had one of those in my collection! :)

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2022 8:35AM

I never found a 1950-D in change, so I bought an uncirculated one from a dealer in 1969. 22 years later in 1991, an AU 1950-D popped into my hands in change when I bought some food out of a vending machine at work.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid in the 50's, finding all 20th century coins was a breeze in change. Gave up on Standing Liberty Quarters as they were usually smooth without a date. I got nearly 2 rolls of Walker's out of change, Buffs by the rolls, Mercs.early lincolns, barbers(not many halves), of course Roosies. The greatest thing for me was I had a 127 customer paper route and a partner delivering. Sunday's were a *****, but change out the yingyang. Paid my paper bill with sorted change at the newspaper office. Luckily, I had a great uncle Schley who helped me and guided my collecting practices and was therefore quite ready for the 80 silver explosion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

Why were they advertising the 1970-D Kennedy in the 1960s? Was there some anticipation that the upcoming coin would be rare?

The time frame involved (late 60's) puts the 1970-D in the range.

Sorry. Specifics lead me to change things from "Late 60's" to "late 60's-Early 70's".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@Zoins said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

The time frame involved (late 60's) puts the 1970-D in the range.

Sorry. Specifics lead me to change things from "Late 60's" to "late 60's-Early 70's".

Pete

Makes sense. "The '60s" really ran from ~1964 through 1971ish.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file