Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1931-S

Let’s see if this works. This auction is closed so I think it’s okay to ask about it. This coin has been up for auction several times recently and has repeatedly closed with no bids. The asking price is below fair value as far as I can tell. Question for the group - Why does this coin continue to go without a bid? What is the yellowish streak across the coin? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

yellow looks like different alloy in the metal

As far as price, 31-s seemed to have been soft as of late, but i sold a pure t turd on ebay the other day and it brought 85 bucks.

• Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Sorry, I don’t understand. The 31-s cent is worth much more than a 31-s nickel.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has it a too high starting bid?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NickelMike said:

It was a joke, there is a thread on the first page about a 31-S nickel that went for moon money.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@Steven59 said:

No it’s under PCGS price guide by a fair amount.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NickelMike said:

@Steven59 said:

No it’s under PCGS price guide by a fair amount.

But is the PCGS Guide the real market value? The average price of the last seven PCGS 64 RD's have sold for about 75% of PCGS Guide, and under what looks like the starting bid, before the vig.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PCGS price guide is not always (quite often in fact) close to the current market for some coins at auction. I think of the guide as just that, a guide to some level of retail price that may or may not be in sync with the market.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

All good points. Thanks

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NickelMike said:

Not this one that sold on GC. But any way what was the starting bid on that coin?

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:

@NickelMike said:

Not this one that sold on GC. But any way what was the starting bid on that coin?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a bit to high after all fees and not perfect. Now if it was on the BST for$275 I’ll be all over it or he should just let it go open bid they will set the price.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

The yellow streak and a high minimum bid are not helping the coin.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2022 5:58AM

It also looks RB and not RED in the photo. That changes the price considerably. Greysheet is $275 in Red but only $200 RB.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for that coin.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope springs eternal on a coin like that. I think it's a better quality coin for 1931-S than we've seen previous.

A very high percentage of 1931-S Cents have problems, color being one of them. The bags seem to have been man handled a bit, and the coins developed problems from sitting around.

The yellow streak is one of the least problems that you'll find on the coins.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file