Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oregon State Quarter

pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandson has completed his state quarter set minus one coin, the Organ state quarter. He completed the set by finding coins in circulation. Most are very nice AU coins but for some reason in all his searching he hasn't seen an Oregon quarter in any condition. Why is this coin so hard to find in circulation?

The quarter can be had on EBay but he asked my why he can't find one in change and I had no idea of the answer.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2022 12:46AM

Probably just random bad luck.
    There will always be one that is "last".
    All the mintages were pretty large.
    http://lynncoins.com/quarter_mintages.htm
    I'd say "keep looking"; one is bound to turn up at some point.
    In the meantime, he could switch to a different series, to reduce the frustration on this coin.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random bad luck

Try hunting in boxes of quarters

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:
    My grandson has completed his state quarter set minus one coin, the Organ state quarter. He completed the set by finding coins in circulation. Most are very nice AU coins but for some reason in all his searching he hasn't seen an Oregon quarter in any condition. Why is this coin so hard to find in circulation?

The quarter can be had on EBay but he asked my why he can't find one in change and I had no idea of the answer.

How long has it been since he found the second-to-last quarter?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Random bad luck, we all get it time to time

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2022 6:43AM

Buy him one off eBay or BST and sneak it into his world. Don’t let him know and I believe you will score many grandpa points, in Heaven, where it counts. 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... I am still looking for my first W quarter in the wild.... Sometimes, certain coins, though known to be 'common', or at least a lot of them minted, seem to not be available in certain areas. No rhyme or reason, just chance. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file