Home Q & A Forum
Options

Coin cleaning

Ok so new to coin collecting and was wondering the best way to clean old coins Iv found that are all nasty and unreadable. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never clean coins

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Even if they are so nasty you can’t even read them?

• Options

If you have something dirty or corroded there may be someone around that can help you not ruin it in the process of conservation

As a rule, don’t clean coins

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be advised that a cleaned will always be worth less. Unless you're knowledgeable and have experience, It's almost a certainty that anything you try to clean, will be noticeable and therefore worth less.

That being said, there really isn't a simple answer. It all depends on what's on the coin, how it reacted with the surface, what chemicals you use for removal, the coin metal, etc. It really helps if you have a little background in chemistry or metallurgy.

That's why new collectors (and even experienced collectors) are told to never clean their coins. It's complicated and too easy to screw things up

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I don't refute anything said above. I'm new to this and will be experimenting with acetone and maybe some commercial cleaners later this year. Why? To see for myself and say I've done it. First priority is not to use coins with potential. Nonkey date and just plain dirty/snotty coins that I will never have graded. These will mainly be Franklins, Kennedys and maybe a few SBAs. Maybe I'll start with nickels and quarters. Lastly, I will do it in babysteps. Before picture, quick dip, rinse, pat dry and after picture. I think the key is not to overcook your coin. Never rub a coin.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start with the most gentle method first, then work your way up. A soak in soapy water is a good way to begin.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are determined to try and clean a coin, start the test process with a worth less parking lot find. Even a foreign coin would do. Do baby steps and don't experiment with a coin of possible value. Myself, I never clean a coin and do not recommend it.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're going to be a coin collector, hopefully you decide to study and collect the nicest coins you can afford. Cleaning dirty nasty coins is kind of a diversion from seeking out well cared for coins in close to uncirculated condition. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard @Twitch3518
    A novice collector should not even attempt to clean coins.
    Seasoned collectors will tell you that cleaning coins is a no no, even for them.
    PCGS does do a restoration process, but it is costly.
    From the sounds here on your coin's condition, they are not worth the price.
    Spend your money on nicely graded coins and you can put together a nice collection.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Post pics of both sides for what you want to clean

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Post pics of both sides for what you want to clean

I will post some pictures later. I want to say thank you to everyone who took time to give me advice, help, and answer my question. Only reason I thought of even trying to clean some of the coins I have is because I have a few coins I have found that are so badly corroded and nasty you can’t read the dates or anything on them. They are just a piece of corrosion.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

dishwasher soar (ivory), just a drop, warm water and a soft electric tooth brush... but only "cheap" stuff..

Today is the first day of the rest of my life