Home U.S. Coin Forum

Winnings from Legend's "No Dreck" Auction?

mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone grab anything from last night's Legend's auction, designated to have "No Dreck". Quite a few nice pieces out of. my price range, but I was able to grab this for my slowly growing type set.

Comments

  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

    None for me. I just blew my coin budget for about 2 years. Great looking proof III center!

  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    No. I can only afford to collect dreck. :/

    Same here.

    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

    Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have yet to see a dreck free auction. There isn’t enough material for any auction house to go dreck free.

  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Gorgeous coin. Alas, I only collect Dreck so nothing for me in this auction.

    Best, SH


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not me. A "No Dreck" auction is a "No Me" auction.

  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Dreck rules

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One man's dreck is another man's... yeah... ;)

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The "no dreck" auction does not mean sky high 5 figure prices. There were 10 coins out of 280 lots that went for under $1200. That number increases quite a bit if you count coins under $1750.

  • mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2022 9:09PM

    @TheMayor said:
    @mavs2583, nice buy on that one - half the price from 2018. In general, the prices on the three cent nickels were ice cold last night, especially in the context of the broader market. Opportunistic time to pick one up for your type set.

    I was able to pick up a couple of nice ones.

    PR67+CAM CAC, Ex-Forsythe

    PR67+DCAM CAC

    Absolutely love the nickel, it's exactly what I'd love for my type set, only if I can get one at a dreck price.

  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mavs2583 said:

    @TheMayor said:
    @mavs2583, nice buy on that one - half the price from 2018. In general, the prices on the three cent nickels were ice cold last night, especially in the context of the broader market. Opportunistic time to pick one up for your type set.

    I was able to pick up a couple of nice ones.

    PR67+CAM CAC, Ex-Forsythe

    PR67+DCAM CAC

    Absolutely love the nickel, it's exactly what I'd love for my type set, only if I can get one at a dreck price.

    The nickel is amazing!

    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @Gazes said:
    The "no dreck" auction does not mean sky high 5 figure prices.

    4 figure coins are "sky high" for lots of collectors.

    Just sayin'.

    I am willing to trade two 2 figure coins in exchange for one 4 figure coin... sounds fair to me o:)

  • GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MasonG said:

    @Gazes said:
    The "no dreck" auction does not mean sky high 5 figure prices.

    4 figure coins are "sky high" for lots of collectors.

    Just sayin'.

    there were a few 3 figure coins in the "no dreck auction"

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @winesteven ... That Franklin is a real beauty.... Super coin indeed. Cheers, RickO

  • TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @winesteven said:
    This is the one coin I got - an upgrade for my Proof Franklin set - PR68+DCAM with CAC. PCGS Pop = 7. None graded higher with a CAC:

    I really like that Franklin, Steve. I had considered bidding on it but by the time it rolled around, I was out of money.. :D

  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Gazes said:

    @MasonG said:

    @Gazes said:
    The "no dreck" auction does not mean sky high 5 figure prices.

    4 figure coins are "sky high" for lots of collectors.

    Just sayin'.

    there were a few 3 figure coins in the "no dreck auction"

    "Three figure" goes from $100 to $999. Were any of those "a few" near the low end of that range?

  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2022 5:22PM

    @MasonG said:

    @Gazes said:

    @MasonG said:

    @Gazes said:
    The "no dreck" auction does not mean sky high 5 figure prices.

    4 figure coins are "sky high" for lots of collectors.

    Just sayin'.

    there were a few 3 figure coins in the "no dreck auction"

    "Three figure" goes from $100 to $999. Were any of those "a few" near the low end of that range?

    Oh, let’s not get picky! The point Gazes made, which is valid, is many collectors have the misconception that all of the coins in a Legend Regency auction are top rarities, able to be purchased only by the “Big Boys”. So while many on this forum are not comfortable buying four figure coins, many of us are, and there are always plenty of coins in every Regency auction in this price range. When challenged, Gazes correctly pointed out there were even several coins that went for less than $1,000.

    One thing I’ve determined over the years that makes Legend “special” or “different” from other auction houses, is that the coins they choose to include in Regency auctions tend to be special with their eye appeal for the grade!

    Steve

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2022 5:31PM

    @winesteven said:
    Oh, let’s not get picky! The point Gazes made, which is valid...

    If the point is valid, getting picky shouldn't be an issue, right? ;)

    edited to add... to be clear, my position is that most collectors have never paid as much as $100 for a coin.

  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Gazes said:
    The "no dreck" auction does not mean sky high 5 figure prices. There were 10 coins out of 280 lots that went for under $1200. That number increases quite a bit if you count coins under $1750.

    Agreed. But there were also coins that would be called dreck if posted here by someone else. A few candidates that come to mind were some ratty, non-CAC Saints that were pretty obvious for why the coins didn’t sticker, a dipped and retoned NGC proof seated quarter that likely failed CAC, and one of the darkest terminally toned “gem” Isabella quarters I’ve ever seen. There were also some very nice coins too, but I’d hardly call this “dreck free.”

  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2022 5:35PM

    @cameonut2011 said:
    There were also some very nice coins too, but I’d hardly call this “dreck free.”

    In many cases, "dreck free" is what I sell. Other sellers? Not so much.

    (File under "Marketing", not that there's anything wrong with that)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file