Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

The Rarity of Lowball Ike Dollars

As the lowball set participants here know, sometimes, collecting the lowest-graded specimens of a certain coin can be just as challenging as acquiring the top-pops, especially when talking about modern issues like the Eisenhower Dollar.

To date, PCGS has yet to grade every issue of the Eisenhower Dollar below G4. A few dates show a sparse handful of specimens grading PO01 or FR02, with many others yielding one, maybe two examples in that grade range. Prices tend to gravitate around $5 for an AG03, click up to $25 for a FR02, and hit as high as $100 for a PO01 specimen.

Full article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/the-rarity-of-lowball-ike-dollars

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

where can I get an AG03 for $5 ? they do like nice like that

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Is that a Type 1 or Type 2?

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got the number 3 set. It is so tough to crack the top two. The way the coins are rated (allowing a Proof Clad Ike to be counted within the lowball registry) will be nearly impossible.

peacockcoins

• oldsmagnetoldsmagnet Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

So eager to spend $40 to certify a $5 coin...

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a chore to find low grades coins at a fair price.
    The asking price is higher than that of an MS60-65 coin.
    I find this true when I look for a lowball coin for my Kennedy sets.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• TreemanTreeman Posts: 418 ✭✭✭

What are the odds that these lowball moderns have legitimate circulation wear? Even crazier on moderns like this one that didn't circulate....

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treeman said:
    What are the odds that these lowball moderns have legitimate circulation wear? Even crazier on moderns like this one that didn't circulate....

Pretty low. Ikes G4 or less were likely pocket pieces.

• SPPSPP Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

I have as of yet, to see any Canadian nickel dollar (which is sort of equivalent to US Ike dollars) worn down anywhere near to G. The challenge is real.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0
  • jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

Would a rock tumbler or something along those lines be able to accomplish what your trying?

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jshaulis said:
    Would a rock tumbler or something along those lines be able to accomplish what your trying?

a lot of methods like that would absolutely accomplish that goal/grade. the real question is, would it be acceptable and that answer is absolutely no.

we've seen a few posted on this forum with notes on holders about artificial wear. it probably isn't impossible to the goal in get em graded but it is NO easy feat. it really isn't even realistic to expect moderns to naturally wear down that low. they simply aren't used appropriately enough often enough which is why the pops are so low and partially why the po01 has a nice financial benefit. (although nothing wrong with doing it as a hobby and hobbies should generally cost money, not make it)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen