Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ever make an impulse purchase?

These are pretty far off my usual collecting interests, but I thought the designs were pretty cool!

Feel free to post your own impulse purchases, or coins you collect in between "big" purchases.

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to many to choose from 😬

Also they did not stay in my collection very long either 😬

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    These are pretty far off my usual collecting interests, but I thought the designs were pretty cool!

Feel free to post your own impulse purchases, or coins you collect in between "big" purchases.

Oh wow, beautiful coins , design and toning!

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Simple answer: All the time!

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the time which makes this fun - here are two recent impulse buys

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several times. It happens when there's just nothing on the want list at a show.

• RSPRSP Posts: 64 ✭✭

Was that stella made in China? E. Pluribus unun?

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:

Yes, but I generally don't like doing that. I did with this one. I won this at a coin club auction. I don't collect buff's. The soap bar slab and toning caught my eye. I also like AU55 grades.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is water wet?

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't do sets, I just buy things I like. They're all pretty much impulse purchases.

@MasonG- When you posted, did this thread move to the top?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Jeeezzzz!!! (&^%(&^%&!?!?$! Never mind!! This is the World & Ancient Coins Forum. I thought I was in U.S. Coin!!

• mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998
  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for bumpuing @OAKSTAR - even if you thought you were on the US side! By the way, I sent in the 1000 Kroner from the OP and it graded as a 68! This was a top pop, although another 68 with more color just graded, too.

My current "Box of 20"

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, like that better than the ?maid walking the cow ( I have the two coin set and the gold which you ought to probably get as well - it tends to tone somewhat reddish but like the Viking at the steering oar).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2023 9:41AM

I will answer your post with a picture:

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

My PhD is in impulse purchases

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern Italian commemoratives are rather overlooked outside of Italy - except perhaps when people like me find stuff like this for sale and like the artistry and the linking of historical Italian coinage on a modern commem.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I laughed... and laughed... and laughed...

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does impulse mean: you’re sitting in the auction room (physical or virtual), you’re watching the lots pass by waiting for yours, you see something interesting that you’ve missed, it’s cheap(-ish), boom, click that bid button, it’s mine!

Many times! Especially when I didn’t have a physical catalog to study beforehand.

• Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Sometimes on morning i think about my later yesterday-night bids and think "why?", "what?", "Phhh it's good that another man buy it...". Sometimes i think about some coin "oh... so expensive... I'll buy it in the end of the year or later" and buy it some days later.
    Sorry for bad English.

Peace.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! Most of what I have was an "impulse purchase" at some point.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS- nice Icelanders, @bob13- and congrats on making that 68!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Seems like impulse purchases come more often than I like to admit. Here’s a couple

• Piano1Piano1 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

I've made MANY impulse purchases in my years. One particular show I attended maybe 15 years ago, I was looking for a 1917 Standing Lib quarter Type 1 MS 62 or better with full head. Didn't find one that I liked but I did stumble into a whole box full of Civil War Tokens and Hard Times Tokens/Merchant Tokens. They were maybe $5 each so I picked out about 50 of them. Only in the middle of last year did I finally drag them home, bought a couple of references and cataloged them. What fun THAT was. Impulse purchase?? Sure...but it got me started in a whole new area of collecting. Neat coins...great history. Also bought 20 Canadian 1 ounce silver "rounds" about 10 years ago. Not sure why...but I did. I can't remember where they are now but they will turn up in the bank box somewhere. Not treasures, but "I liked them", like the civil war stuff. Fortunately, I can't recall a flop impulse buy...but "the day is young"...I'm not!! :/

Oh, I did finally get the quarter a few years later.

Piano1

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 minutes ago... again.

• Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    10 minutes ago... again.

You must be strong...

Peace.