Home Sports Talk
Options

Are you going to watch the winter Olympics?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

The winter Olympics in Beijing start February 2nd, are you going to watch?

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

I can’t wait for the frontside board slides off the great wall

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Might catch something out of boredom.........but basically no

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't go out of my way to purposely watch but if I catch it between flipping channels I may check it out for a bit.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

I just read they're going to be sending room service robots to the athlete's rooms in the hotels!

• Options
    edited January 27, 2022 1:34PM

This should be Shaun White's last Olympics, I can't wait to see how he does against the younger guys.

• Options

It's a tradition for me to watch every winter Olympics event, in it's entirety, it drives my wife crazy, but it must be done!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will most likely watch some of the hockey, not sure about other events.

• Options

One of my favorite events at the winter Olympics is the luge, breakneck speeds on ice!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2022 3:37PM

The ski jump is probably my favorite event, it's insane to watch how far they go and how long they're in the air.

• Options

I don’t like that they changed the ramp to having grooves

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

YES!

But I'm mainly just saying that to counter some of the recent NO's. Bill Jones even went bold font on us. :o

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I don’t like that they changed the ramp to having grooves

I don't like it either, if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it!

• Options

I also like the snowboard ramp, I think it's called freestyle? They get some serious air!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not likely.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Defund the olympic teams.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

I'm not sure what this event is called, but I love it, especially at night when the lights are shining.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, except hockey and ice skating

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Yes

I look forward to it every time.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. I have never been interested in the Olympics.

i take it back. I did watch every game of the 1992 dream team.

that was about it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭

I want nothing to do with anything china offers and will not be watching!

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO!! H*** F****** NO! I would rather watch a loved one be autopsied.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

You do make a good point. China may try to counterfeit all the best athletes the U.S. has to offer
    like they counterfeit all the best products the U.S. has to offer.
    So how are we going to be able to tell the real athletes from the fake athletes?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2022 9:01AM

I've gotten word from my sources that these are the sneakers the Chinese athletes will be
    wearing for the opening ceremonies. Purchased from their local fake Apple store
    they can apparently double as a cell phone in an emergency.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, only the curling, Canadian team this Oly is is full of superstars including 5 from my old stomping ground of Alberta. Most riveting sport on ice, tense moments, emotion, big granite stones, broom swpeeing, lot's of shouting, what more could one want? Drama at its best! Oh Canada!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpBisfRoVoM

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2022 6:42PM

I only ever found one street parlor vendor in China selling counterfeit coins.

Once, someone traveling with us bought a “LV” bag for the equivalent of $25. I did not chastise them.

Ripped off fashion items are everywhere away from the real posh storefronts.

• Options

I also enjoy the speed skating on ice, you can go from dead last to win the race in an instant!

• Options

Short track is good stuff
    The strategy in the longer distance short track is very interesting

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Short track is good stuff
    The strategy in the longer distance short track is very interesting

Yes, anything can happen, it's action packed!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

@Tibor said:

After giving us Covid, the Chinese should have been more contrite and willing to be better World citizens. They have been just the opposite. Instead they threaten their neighbors and spread lies. They are less deserving of of the Olympic stage than the Soviets were in 1980.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

.> @BillJones said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

@Tibor said:

Instead they threaten their neighbors and spread lies.

Bill, that statement could be true for just about any country including ours. But I somewhat agree with you, problem is it is all our fault (and the rest of the world's) for wanting cheap stuff. We lost our leverage bc of that. HST, >95% of the people I have met from China are really nice people, it is really about their govt. And I meet and know well many chinese nationals in my line of work.

But for the Oly's I am not watching bc it is in China, I am not watching bc I am bored with it (except for curling of course).

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I didn't give the politics or COVID-19 a thought in relation to the Olympics, maybe I should have. I just DON'T LIKE THE OLYMPICS. They pre empt shows which are of more interest to me.

• Options

I love the Olympics, summer and winter, these athletes train for 4 years to get one shot at this, it's great competitive theater, and I just refuse to let politics or anything else ruin that. Some of the greatest and most dramatic moments in sports history have been at the Olympic games, and I'm looking forward to this.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I love the Olympics, summer and winter, these athletes train for 4 years to get one shot at this, it's great competitive theater, and I just refuse to let politics or anything else ruin that. Some of the greatest and most dramatic moments in sports history have been at the Olympic games, and I'm looking forward to this.

I used to love the Oly's, but I hate the format of Oly TV in the US which has led to my boredom. Very little is the competition which is what I am there for. Too many sides stories, commercials, etc. etc. with very little viewing time for the competition. If I watch, it is for the competition. For example, when I watch the Paris Roubaix online each year no commercials, it is 6 blissful hours of watching humans suffer on their bikes and achieving amazing feats of athleticism and courage. 6 hours, live, no commercials just men on bikes. Watch a 30 km cross country ski race, you never see hardly any of it for the Oly's, too busy diverting away to other events, interviews, personal interest stories and commercials. That sucks, so no go for me.

Best, SH

• Options

I am also disinterested in back stories

It seems I am a dying breed who likes the medal ceremonies.

For Tokyo the schedule stated on the tv info blurbs didn’t match what was actually aired often times. As a result I was up late to watch one event that never aired.

I hope they have their act together this time.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    One of my favorite events at the winter Olympics is the luge, breakneck speeds on ice!

We used to think it was pronounces "Loogie"

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:
    .> @BillJones said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

@Tibor said:

Instead they threaten their neighbors and spread lies.

Bill, that statement could be true for just about any country including ours. But I somewhat agree with you, problem is it is all our fault (and the rest of the world's) for wanting cheap stuff. We lost our leverage bc of that. HST, >95% of the people I have met from China are really nice people, it is really about their govt. And I meet and know well many chinese nationals in my line of work.

But for the Oly's I am not watching bc it is in China, I am not watching bc I am bored with it (except for curling of course).

Best, SH

I respectfully disagree, but it’s useless to debate it.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2022 7:00PM

I will root for, watch and support anyone or any team that is representing the US or has USA on its jersey period. Most have sacrificed a lot preparing for the games. I'll be watching a chunk of it with my wife. She loves it.

I'll also be watching Team USA vs Canada in World Cup (soccer) qualifying tomorrow on a secondary TV as the Chiefs/ Bengals kick off at noon

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......