Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

'55 Banks

This '55 Banks is in excellent condition, but obviously the centering is completely off ... does that prohibit this from being anything other than a 1? If not, what do you think it would grade?

Always looking for 1950's Graded Banks Cards

Comments

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

It will not get a 1. it is too nice other than the centering. My guess is 7 or 8 o/c. Does not look like a miscut to me.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

Nice card, love the fuzzy cut on the top.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Higher than a 1, but MC qualifier.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cubsfan71 - I’ll do yours and you do mine!!!

First, I’m calling that beautiful Banks an unqualified VG/EX 4 and here’s my rationale: the card has L/R centering of around 30/70 and T/B centering around 1/99. That said, the card clearly has four borders, no loss of text front or back and while the extended bottom border indicates a similar shape to the card below it on the original sheet, you don’t actually have any of that card visible.

PSA recently announced they were no longer assigning results with qualifying grades (but at the same time left the door open to do so 🤔) and I would think a 6 MC or O/C would be the old school grade and those qualifiers result in a -2 from the numeric grade for Registry purposes, with the assumption of a clean surface and no hidden damage/crease to lower the guessed grade.

My turn - feedback from ANYONE is appreciated as this card is beautiful and I need help tempering my expectations:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1959 I'm still learning ... what do you mean by "does not look like a miscut"... do you think it has been trimmed??? I'm guessing that is not good ... I bought a bunch of Banks cards some 20 years ago just to have them ... so didn't care much at the time about centering, condition, etc...

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I believe MC and MK are still required qualifiers.

I saw the following from a blog post at PSA:

For reference, following is a description of the six PSA qualifiers, two of which are required, and four that are optional.

REQUIRED QUALIFIERS

MK (Marks) – Any and all cards with writing, ink marks, pencil marks, etc. or evidence of the impression left from the act of writing will be designated “MK.”
    MC (Miscut) – Any and all cards that exhibit an atypical cut for the issue, which may result in portions of the subject card being cut off or more than one card being visible, will be designated “MC.”

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    My turn - feedback from ANYONE is appreciated as this card is beautiful and I need help tempering my expectations:

I'm thinking a grade in the neighborhood of 6 (MC)

I can't see clearly the bottom right edge/corner where the black goes all the way to the edge. It looks a little out of place compared to the rest of the bottom edge, so want to make sure it's natural. The good thing is from an example of an uncut sheet the card in that spot would be the black nameplate for Jim Hearn -- so it would also be black in that area on the uncut sheet and perhaps is natural/original (i.e. no marker).

• Options

@DotStore said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

I'm thinking a grade in the neighborhood of 6 (MC)

I can't see clearly the bottom right edge/corner where the black goes all the way to the edge. It looks a little out of place compared to the rest of the bottom edge, so want to make sure it's natural. The good thing is from an example of an uncut sheet the card in that spot would be the black nameplate for Jim Hearn -- so it would also be black in that area on the uncut sheet and perhaps is natural/original (i.e. no marker).

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Really appreciate you taking the time, @DotStore

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

At least the Banks has A border, the Robinson does not and another card is showing so would definitely get a MC.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think the banks is MC. it has the tiniest border. it would be like 98-2 centering in my book.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long have you had that card ? Are you sure the top isn't trimmed ? It looks a little questionable to me.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@76collector said:
    How long have you had that card ? Are you sure the top isn't trimmed ? It looks a little questionable to me.

Jeff

I thought the upper right corner looked funny too. Maybe it's because it doesn't have the fuzz coming off of it like the rest of the top border. IDK

• Options

@76collector its a good point ... had it for about 20 years ... honestly, no clue ... could someone have done that before to remove a damaged edge or something?

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2022 1:33PM

@Cubsfan71 said:
    @76collector its a good point ... had it for about 20 years ... honestly, no clue ... could someone have done that before to remove a damaged edge or something?

Measure it, no not with a tape measure, calipers.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

I assume the image was taken using a camera? Scan would be better but here is what I see and it's being hinted on above as well.

There is a border (albeit very tiny) until you hit about the area where I have placed the arrow. It then disappears. The fuzzy cut also mentioned above also disappears just before the arrow and seems to get smooth and the cut seems to go downward.

No expert, just my thoughts on what I see. Still a stunning looking card with great image and color.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

The back of the card (left side ) sims to show letters from card next to it . Thus, could be MC or like 1951 wrote drop to 3 or 4.Still a great looking card.

• Options

@Barfvader great observation...thank you, what would be the benefit of someone doing that???

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

good eye. definitely trimmed.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

While on the subject of '55 Banks, how about this beauty?

• Options

That 55 T Banks & 53 T Jackie are beautiful cards. I feel sometimes people get so worked up over centering issues that they fail to step back & see the true beauty of the card itself.

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

As sports card investors get more sophisticated like coin investors they will learn to appreciate the rarity of factory errors on significant issues - I would love to have that Jackie

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

I’ll bet you have a hard time finding another one of those in that good of a condition

• Options

@Willymac said:
    As sports card investors get more sophisticated like coin investors they will learn to appreciate the rarity of factory errors on significant issues - I would love to have that Jackie

Thank you kindly.

I really found the card mesmerizing and the O/C nature of it didn’t bother me in the slightest when I was looking at it and I can’t explain why. That’s atypical for me as I’m usually a (low to mid grade) centering snob. Plus a card in that condition and also with nicely centered borders left the barn for me a great while ago.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great card NOT necessarily trimmed.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set