Home Sports Talk
Options

The USFL - Will you watch?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2022 10:51AM in Sports Talk

We haven't had a good election around here lately, the USFL is rebooting and it will debut on Saturday, April 16th when Fox and NBC simultaneously broadcast the season opener, will you watch?

The USFL - Will you watch?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it's football

Here is a little bit about the USFL reboot:

NBC To Broadcast USFL Games Along With Fox Under New Multi-Year Rights Deal

NBC Sports will televise USFL games along with Fox Sports when the pro football league returns in a new incarnation next spring.

Starting in April, NBCUniversal will carry 21 USFL games in 2022, with eight on NBC, nine on USA Network and four on Peacock. Fox will have 22 games, 12 on its flagship broadcast network and 10 on cable’s FS1.

The USFL’s 20 national over-the-air broadcast windows will exceed the number for any regularly scheduled sport in the first half of 2022, according to the league.

The newly constituted USFL is controlled by Fox Sports and not affiliated with the original organization, which had a short but tumultuous run in the 1980s. While many alternatives to the NFL have been attempted, none has managed to survive for long. The XFL, which was forced into bankruptcy in 2020 due to Covid, has been acquired by Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and RedBird Capital, has also vowed to return in 2023.

The USFL’s eight teams will play a 10-game schedule in a single host city, which will be revealed soon. TV schedule details will be released at a later date.

“We’re excited to partner with the USFL and Fox Sports to present this new era of professional football,” NBC Sports Chairman Pete Bevacqua said. “With our multiple platforms across broadcast, cable, and streaming, football fans throughout the country will be able to experience the USFL’s opening season this spring.”

Fox Sports CEO and Executive Producer Eric Shanks, who will be the chairman of the USFL’s board of directors, saluted NBC’s “reputation for excellence in football production.” The commitments by NBC and Fox, he added, “will provide fans unprecedented access all season long.”

The new USFL’s teams are the Birmingham Stallions, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers, Tampa Bay Bandits, Michigan Panthers, New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars and Pittsburgh Maulers. Four teams will make the playoffs and will compete in semifinal games and a championship matchup between divisional winners.

• Options
    Yes, it's football

I will watch it, put some beer in me and it should be interesting.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the USFL will be a joke

Nope it will fold anyways

• Options
    edited January 25, 2022 12:04PM
    Yes, it's football

Let me make it clear, I will only watch if I have alcohol in me, that is the key to this whole thing, I must have beer to watch the USFL.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2022 12:30PM
    Yes, it's football

Uh oh, we're behind in the polls, time to do a little campaigning. Please vote yes for Christ's sake!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if Manziel makes a comeback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is Bobby Hebert still the QB for the Michigan Panthers?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Yes, it's football

This election was rigged, I blame the hanging chads, I demand a recount, this election is now closed!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's football

I remember that Houston Gamblers team with Jim Kelly and that run and shoot offense! Those guys were so fun to watch and you needed a calculator to keep track of their points!

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's football

Spring football is a lot better than spring baseball. Hard to believe, but the LA Express played a few games at Pierce College during the 1985 season.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's football

@LandrysFedora said:
    I remember that Houston Gamblers team with Jim Kelly and that run and shoot offense! Those guys were so fun to watch and you needed a calculator to keep track of their points!

I was really getting into my football fandom as a young pup when the USFL came out. The USFL was 1983-85. So I was just seven that first year. I think that the excitement of the new league is part of what sparked my love of football. And as soon as the league was over, I experienced my first real football pain when the Patriots got trounced by the Bears in the SuperBowl.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's football

As I'm channel surfing I may watch until a commercial comes on, then I move on. I may watch the last few minutes of a game if it's tight.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

No I just wouldn't have any interest in watching.

• Options
    Yes, it's football

Sigh. It looks like the election is lost. How do I go on?

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's on at the watering hole sure. Otherwise same as Mark - if it's on at the house wifey=pissy.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Let me make it clear, I will only watch if I have alcohol in me, that is the key to this whole thing, I must have beer to watch the USFL.

Dragon Master......I just showed this to The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant...... Her response....." Now that's the one we need to print up!".........she's working on it now.........THANKS MAN!!!!!

• Options
    Yes, it's football

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

Dragon Master......I just showed this to The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant...... Her response....." Now that's the one we need to print up!".........she's working on it now.........THANKS MAN!!!!!

You're welcome grasshopper, I'm always happy to spread wisdom.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

watching fire hydrant working on the ranch without a shirt on > watching this incarnation of the USFL

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    watching fire hydrant working on the ranch without a shirt on > watching this incarnation of the USFL

fire hydrant working on the ranch without a shirt on > Double Dragon eating a Reese's Pie with his hands tied behind his back off of Patty Labelle's butt > watching the incarnation of the USFL

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double Dragon eating a Reese's Pie with his hands tied behind his back off of Patty Labelle's butt

m

Hmmm..........................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

Double Dragon eating a Reese's Pie with his hands tied behind his back off of Patty Labelle's butt

m

Hmmm..........................

Freak

m

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

My answer is “maybe,” so there is no vote for me.

The American Football League started in 1960, and I got hooked on the Huston Oilers and George Blanda when I was a kid. During a visit to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, I learned that there have been several pro football leagues that started and failed over the decades. This one probably will not amount to anything, but who knows?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?