Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ty Cobb was such a monster!

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I can be very sarcastic in order to prove a point. I have started one of my favorite audiobooks for the 4th or 5th time. It is called Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty written by Charles Leerhsen. It is a fascinating book that takes on the exaggerated myths that Ty Cobb was this evil, racist monster that hated everybody.

The interesting thing is that when Charles Leerhsen set out to write the book, he had the same ideas and preconceived notions that everybody else had about Ty Cobb. But the more he researched historical records the more holes he found in the stories peddled by Al Stump and Charles Alexander in other biographies. Though I have only seen clips of the Ty Cobb movie starring Tommy Lee Jones back in the 1990s, I can guarantee you that it is a caricature hit piece that is full of exaggerations, unfounded tales, and downright lies. Was Ty Cobb an angel? Not by a longshot. But he was most certainly not the monster that people think he is. This book even goes into how he was NOT a racist. His father was in Georgia state politics and had a record for being against segregation. His grandfather was a preacher that preached against slavery and was despised because of it. He routinely played with African American children that were his friends when he was a child in Royston, Georgia. He is on the record saying that he approved of Jackie Robinson and baseball being integrated saying it was long overdue. If you are interested in baseball history in the least, I HIGHLY recommend this book.

I have been through this book multiple times over the last few years and every time I delve into to it, I get more interested in Ty Cobb memorabilia and cards. I only have a few vintage newspaper clippings. I have not been able to spend the money on a card from his playing days or an autograph. One of these day I hope to be able to acquire some of those items.

When I got home this afternoon from work, I was searching for Ty Cobb videos on YouTube and came across this one. It is so very interesting to see just how laid back and relaxed he was. He was a perfect gentleman. He most certainly was not the monster everybody makes him out to be. Was he competitive? Absolutely! Did he try to get every advantage he could? Certainly! Did he have a temper? Surely. Did he spike 2nd basemen? Yes, but not much more than everybody else did. As a matter of fact, there were many players from his time that testified to this very fact. He most certainly was not the evil cartoon character everybody makes him out to be!

I hope you find this video interesting like I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXhGxpZpTO0&ab_channel=MovingImageResearchCollections

Shane

Comments

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

A great read for the baseball enthusiast!
    Stump's stories of Cobb were considered gospel until Leerhsen's research shot holes in Stump's BS.

It's unfortunate generations of fans were feed this line of a Baseball Great being an absolute terrible person.
    Cobb was an imperfect human; no where near Stump's portrayal.

Ty's father wanted him to succeed as a doctor or a lawyer.
    After Ty left for the minors, his father simply replied, "don't come home a failure".
    Cobb's aggressive style of play was to impress his father (in spirit, as Ty's mother accidentally killed him in 1905)

Let it be known, Cobb was surely one of the greatest of the game and a better person than originally portrayed.

Thanks for posting!

• Options
    runccruncc Posts: 11 ✭✭

He was probably more known than others for spiking guys because he had many more opportunities to do so - he got on base more than others and he stole more bases than them as well.

• Options

@runcc said:
    He was probably more known than others for spiking guys because he had many more opportunities to do so - he got on base more than others and he stole more bases than them as well.

This is in the Man vs Myth category

Did Ty Cobb sharpen his spikes?
    Quite the contrary: In 1910, already tired of being smeared as a dirty player, Cobb wrote a letter to then-American League President Ban Johnson suggesting that major leaguers be required to dull their sharp new spikes with a file and that every man’s spikes be checked for excessive sharpness before each game by an umpire. “This would be a good way,” he told Johnson, “to eliminate the accidents caused by spikes.” So it’s hard to believe that Cobb was out to hurt anybody.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

It is so sad how easy it is to tarnish someones legacy. A simple book full of made up lies in the 60's can become "proof" to just about everyone that Cobb was a monster. This sort of mentality is more prevalent than ever in the age of the internet.

The good news is that over the years the truth has came out and Ty Cobb can now be recognized for the player and person he actually was.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2022 1:59PM

@ArtVandelay said:
    It is so sad how easy it is to tarnish someones legacy. A simple book full of made up lies in the 60's can become "proof" to just about everyone that Cobb was a monster. This sort of mentality is more prevalent than ever in the age of the internet.

The good news is that over the years the truth has came out and Ty Cobb can now be recognized for the player and person he actually was.

< sarcasm > Yeah he was the salt of the earth. </end sarcasm>

What did he call Ruth again?

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@ArtVandelay said:

Even though I think the use of "that word" is deplorable, many people used it back then. It was very common. It was a different time. It simply was not looked at like it is now, although it should have been and should have never been used. However, you must look at things in context.

Shane

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2022 6:40PM

@ArtVandelay said:

He also was for integration of the MLB way before 1947. He commonly attended Negro League games and often sat with the players on the bench and thought it was an absolute shame they were not treated equally. His father was an avid supporter of having African Americans in politics while living in the south in the 1800's. His Great grandfather fought against slavery actively in the south prior to the civil war.

The point is that while he definitely was not perfect he was definitely not the person being portrayed by a book and an article that came out in the 60's. For 50+ years after that people just accepted these lies as truths and that is a mis-justice any way you look at it.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2022 8:02PM

Cobb mastered multiple aspects of Baseball, Ruth and his style of play saved the game. Without Ruth more than likley no one would even knwo Cobb's name today as Sport could have faded away. it is Interesting how no one here is sticking up for Ruth but instead trying to minimize Cobb.

• Options

Cobb mastered multiple aspects of Baseball, Ruth and his style of play saved the game. Without Ruth more than likley no one would even knwo Cobb's name today as Sport could have faded away. it is Interesting how no one here is sticking up for Ruth but instead trying to minimize Cobb.

I say Ruth is the greatest player to ever play. No doubt Babe Ruth was and still is the face of baseball. In my opinion, Cobb is second. However, this topic isn't about Ruth. It is about Ty Cobb and people not being fair to him and making him out to be an evil monster when he simply was not.

Shane

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2022 12:03AM

Thanks Shane! I grew up in Detroit. Although my Dad who never saw Cobb play always told me to play baseball like Ty Cobb. Hard, fast and take no prisoners. The Georgia Peach has always been revered in the Motor City

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to get a better scan of my Cobb, but definitely one of the highlights of my collection.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Shane, great topic. Makes me want to read the book. I'll share my Cobb, too.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    edited January 26, 2022 5:02PM

Speaking of Ruth and Cobb....Ruth didn't look like he had too much of a problem with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQTTnyo_F08&amp;ab_channel=CriticalPast

Cobb speaking about Ruth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xrfbKImLRk&amp;ab_channel=BFTGUcom

Shane

• Options

"(Ty) Cobb is a prick. But he sure can hit. God Almighty, that man can hit." - Babe Ruth

"Let him sleep if he will. If you get him riled up, he will annihilate us." - Connie Mack

"The Babe was a great ballplayer, sure, but (Ty) Cobb was even greater. Babe (Ruth) could knock your brains out, but (Ty) Cobb would drive you crazy." - Tris Speaker

"The greatness of Ty Cobb was something that had to be seen, and to see him was to remember him forever." - George Sisler

"What a hell of a league this is. I hit .387, .408, and .395 the last three years and I ain't won nothin' yet!" - 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson talking with Ty Cobb

• Options

"When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch."
    "His (Walter Johnson) fastball looked about the size of a watermelon seed and it hissed at you as it passed."
    "That boy (Mickey) Mantle is a good one."
    "That GD Dutchman (Honus Wagner) is the only man in the game I can't scare."
    "When I came to Detroit I was just a mild-mannered Sunday-school boy."
    "You've got to remember - I'm seventy-three." On why he would only hit .300 against today's pitchers.

• Ty Cobb
  • Options

Thanks for sharing that video, I'd never seen it before. Judging by context clues, it seems this was filmed late 1929 or early 1930. Of course Cobb's last season was 1928 so that's why he was being asked if he'd ever play again. Shame his reputation was dragged through the mud after he passed. Any guy who gives a dog that much love & attention can't be all bad!

• Options
    edited February 1, 2022 9:59AM

With a mere 1200 walks in 24 seasons Cobb simply does not belong in the Hall. Cobb was no Mike Trout who is the greatest to ever play the game due to his walks. Ruth, Cobb, Mays, Gehrig are nothing compared to the majesty that is Mike Trout walking to first base.

Yep, Nothing more exciting in Baseball than Trout in a blowout game taking a pitch 2 feet outside and in the dirt and being awarded first base for the amazing feat of keeping the bat held upon his powerful shoulder.

The opinions expressed above are not my own but an amalgam of opinions from folks on this very forum.