Home Sports Talk
Options

The official Tompa Bay Bucs thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm starting this thread because I have taken a liking to the Tompa Bay Buccaneers and I am a reporter at heart, and I enjoy following news stories and developments as they happen. I'm going to follow the latrst developments on the situation with the Bucs as it happens all throughout the offseason. So if you want to discuss Tompa Bay, the Bucs, Bruce Arians, Tom Brady, and Rob Gronkowski, this is the place to be!

Comments

• Options

There are some rumors flying around and we'll get to those shortly, but right now I have to go check on dinner, we're having pot roast and it smells delicious!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the 2021 Super Bowl win, the Tampa ownership went out its way to keep the team intact. This time, watch for a lot more departures. The Bucs are deep with running backs and had good offense and defense lines. They will need some new faces next year.

Will Brady retire? It’s entirely possible.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

There's some speculation that Tom Brady might want out of Tampa Bay to play for another team.

Could Tom Brady be thinking about joining a new team?

Despite the nonchalance many have expressed regarding the possibility that Tom Brady will retire in lieu of playing next season, Brady has said — on multiple occasions — that he’ll play through 2022 and then decide whether to continue. Thus, as much as some would like to ignore it, something has changed. Dramatically.

What is it, then? How and why did Brady go from being all in for 2022 to being “noncommittal” for next season. (ESPN reported over the weekend that he “remains noncommittal” about playing next year, phrasing that ignores even more strongly the things Brady has, you know, said.)

There’s a belief that Mrs. Brady, otherwise known as Gisele Bundchen, has laid down the law with her husband. That, regardless of whether he wants to keep playing in 2022 and beyond, she’s telling him that 22 seasons are more than enough.

Here’s another possibility, one that is pure speculation but can’t be ignored. What if Brady is hoping to wiggle out of Tampa and go to a team that he thinks will be better suited to get him to his eighth Super Bowl win?

The deck was stacked for the Bucs this season, with all 22 starters from last year’s championship run returning. Injuries were a problem. Linebacker Lavonte David also pointed to “turmoil” within the team.

How much did the Antonio Brown fiasco — and the team’s handling of it — potentially sour Brady? Has he lost faith in the ability of coach Bruce Arians to coax the team to the top of the mountain?

We don’t know the truth about this because Brady would never admit to it. Given the current gap between the Rams and Buccaneers, however, it’s hard not to wonder whether Brady, if he continues to play, will want to roll another set of loaded dice?

Where would that be? Well, his first choice two years ago was San Francisco. (They passed.) How about a year for Brady, as Trey Lance continues to develop? Lance would get to watch and learn from the best ever for a year. And the 49ers, a final-four team despite having a quarterback who isn’t even in the top 20, could add Brady to a highly-talented roster and a brilliant coaching staff (his former teammate, Wes Welker, works there) and finally get their sixth Super Bowl win.

Brady would have to finesse his way out of Tampa. He signed a one-year extension in 2021, primarily to reduce his cap number. If he asks the Buccaneers to trade or release him, maybe they would. Maybe, when he agreed to extend his contract last year, he sought and received a wink-nod commitment that he’ll be released, if he asks to be, after 2021.

Regardless, the sudden confusion regarding Brady’s status for 2021 is far more stunning than most are treating it. While retirement seems to be the far more likely option, it’s impossible to rule out the possibility that Brady will indeed honor his longstanding commitment to play until his 45 — and that maybe he’ll do what he can to wrap up with career with the 49ers.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady should either retire or stick with TOMPA.

If he starts the journeymen hired gun thing it will look bad for him.

• Options

Well, the pot roast was delicious, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's dinner, it's taco night!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2022 4:35PM

Rumor is that Tommy TOMPA is getting together with his good buddies Antonio Brown and Cam Newton for a blockbuster move to the Panthers next season...... It's in the works. B.B. is keeping a close eye on the situation and and it just might be a foursome!!!!! As is usual... Gronk is out of the loop and clueless....... just waiting for the call from Tommy to get his instructions.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Rumor is that Tommy TOMPA is getting together with his good buddies Antonio Brown and Cam Newton for a blockbuster move to the Panthers next season...... It's in the works. B.B. is keeping a close eye on the situation and and it just might be a foursome!!!!! As is usual... Gronk is out of the loop and clueless....... just waiting for the call from Tommy to get his instructions.

We'll take Tom and Gronk and Bill, Cam and Antonio can take a slow boat to China!

• Options

Hmm, could this be a hint that Tom is retiring? Gisele made a video on Instagram recently that showed Tom spending time with his family, the video showed the family spending time together in different places all over the world and one of the scenes in the video was the family horseback riding together. The theme of the video is spending time with family and enjoying the years you have left.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Riding off into the sunset??????????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Personally, I don't want to see Tom Brady retire, I've been watching him since 2001 when he led the Patriots to that upset win against the Rams in the Super Bowl. He brought it every game and left it all out on the field every game, and has been a pleasure to watch. When he retires, it will be sad to see him go, he has taken us on one heck of a ride.

• Options

Tom Brady elaborated on his potential retirement on his "Let's Go" podcast today, here is what he said:

Tom Brady on his Let’s Go podcast about his wife and family and football.

“It pains her to see me get hit out there. And she deserves what she needs from me as a husband and my kids deserve what they need from me as a dad."

“I said this a few years ago, it's what relationships are all about. It's not always what I want. It's what we want as a family. And I'm gonna spend a lot of time with them and figure out in the future what's next.”

“The team doesn’t deserve anything less than my best. And if I feel like I'm not committed to that, or I can't play at a championship level, then you gotta give someone else a chance to play. And, you know, we'll see.”

“Playing football I get so much joy from. I love it. But not playing football, there's a lot of joy in that for me also now, too, with my kids getting older and seeing them develop and grow. So all these things need to be considered and they will be."

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2022 6:37PM

When a woman tries to take away something you love to do, it's time to dump the woman. She'll always run you and you'll never be happy because she took away the one thing you loved to do in this world...

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    There are some rumors flying around and we'll get to those shortly, but right now I have to go check on dinner, we're having pot roast and it smells delicious!

Now that you've gone to the PLB dark side for your uber caloric desert pleasures after the pot roast, I'm sure you didn't get to enjoy a big slice of this beauty. So, go eat one of your wimpy PLB snacky things, NOTHING compares to this cake!! Just ask Eric.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Puss. Gimme the reeses and another year.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2022 11:54PM

I think TB knows whether it's this year of next his time is near. He may just take Gisele's wishes to heart and bow out now to spend more time with his family. That's honorable. It's hard to believe that TB's net worth is still 150 million less then his wife.

I've seen Brady get hit more in his last 4 or 5 games then I have in his previous 4 of 5 seasons.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@doubledragon said:

Now that you've gone to the PLB dark side for your uber caloric desert pleasures after the pot roast, I'm sure you didn't get to enjoy a big slice of this beauty. So, go eat one of your wimpy PLB snacky things, NOTHING compares to this cake!! Just ask Eric.

So Eric is the keeper of the Reese's cake, the plot thickens. 🤔

• Options

Speaking of Reese's, it 's time for a word from our sponsors:

The official Tompa Bay Bucs thread is being brought to you by Reese's Ugly Sweater, it's the sweater you've always wanted!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:
    When a woman tries to take away something you love to do, it's time to dump the woman. She'll always run you and you'll never be happy because she took away the one thing you loved to do in this world...

I totally agree with you and live the “Alpha” male in my current and all my former relationships however as I get older I do understand the word “Compromise” much better.

I think Giselle has been pretty decent with Brady and his career, she gave hers up for their kids and has let him play since the late 2000’s.

I’m a permanent member of the guy club but can be on Giselles side with wanting him to retire at this point. Fair being fair

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who in the hell is gonna chop that ugly sweater up into 6 pieces?

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Brady should either retire or stick with TOMPA.

If he starts the journeymen hired gun thing it will look bad for him.

Spot on Perk. Not just because I’m a season ticket holder 😉 Bucs let him do whatever he wants, put line and weapons out there, etc. I don’t see a better situation to walk in to for him. So why make a move unless you’re just done.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

The signs seem to be pointing to Brady retiring, Skip Bayless said that he was told by a source that the Bucs are now in a position where they would be surprised if Brady plays for them next year, here's the video of Skip Bayless.