Home Sports Talk
Options

Overtime Rules Stink

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The overtime rules for the regular season are bad enough. But...during the regular season, a game can end in a tie. Not so in a championship game. There must be a winner. Mahomes and Allen are two great young quarterbacks.....but the fans got cheated because Allen and the Bills did not get a chance to have possession in overtime. The Chiefs won basically because they won the coin toss.......and Mahomes is good. The overtime rules for post season games need to change.......Allen is the best quarterback in the league in my opinion. We never got to see what could have been.....

Comments

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Would you like some cheese with that whine? Boo hoo!

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Had nothing to do with the coin toss. The Chiefs won because the lousy Bills defense couldn't stop Mahomes.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2022 9:01PM

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Would you like some cheese with that whine? Boo hoo!

Actually.... It's double Jose Cuervos Margaritas on the rocks with salt on the rim.......I'm on my third one.......heading for four!!! 86 the cheese!!!! Ahhh....🍸🍸🍸🍸😵

• Options

@MisterTim1962 said:
    Had nothing to do with the coin toss. The Chiefs won because the lousy Bills defense couldn't stop Mahomes.

It had EVERYTHING to do with the coin toss.......the Bills never got possession....... that's reality......... I could care less who won or lost......football scores rank really low on my list of what matters in life.....like not at all!.......but......if one team doesn't get a chance to get the ball......that's stupid!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, in the college game, the other team does get a chance, but don’t look for the NFL to change the rules any time soon.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t really know how I feel about the overtime rules but the bills could have d”upped and made a few plays in overtime to give their offense the ball back and a chance to win. It’s not all about the coin toss. Although the team that wins the toss likely has a statistical advantage. In football it’s all about who steps up and make the big play at the right time. The bills did not do that today. I did think they should have not kick off to the end zone make them burn a few seconds on the return But in the end the chiefs made the plays the bills did not

Martin

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's better than when a FG on the opening drive would win the game but I do agree that each team should have a possession in OT before the next score wins.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MisterTim1962 said:

I agree with you about the Bills D, but really the way both teams D’s were playing it really did have everything to do with that coin toss

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the rules are the rules and everyone knows that going in. If you lose the OT coin toss, then if your defense can't stop the opponent, so be it. There are always going to be rules that don't make sense in team sports, like the one where you can scoop a ball off the ground and it is considered to be a reception even after review (interception in TB-Rams game), so your team must be good enough to overcome anything like that or losing a coin toss. If it is not, then, you lose and that is just the way it is.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Every Bills fan except @2dueces is whining about the OT rules, if the Bills won the toss nobody would be crying about it, the same scenario played out against the Chiefs when they lost to the Pats in the AFC Championship game a few years ago.

Bitch about it before the season starts.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since next season hasn't started yet I'll commence the bitching. Coin flips should have nothing to do with the outcome. I say play a 15minute quarter (I know it's really a fifth) to determine the winner. If they are still tied start the next quarter sudden death. No new kickoff, just keep playing. Example. If K.C. has the ball at midfield at the end of the 5th quarter they still have the ball at midfield but are going the other direction. I could see a situation where a team wins the coin toss and chooses which direction they want to go due to wind conditions. If the players feel this is too hard on their fragile bodies they can use these rules for playoffs only.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrible defense was the reason BUF lost, not the overtime rules.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    The overtime rules for the regular season are bad enough. But...during the regular season, a game can end in a tie. Not so in a championship game. There must be a winner. Mahomes and Allen are two great young quarterbacks.....but the fans got cheated because Allen and the Bills did not get a chance to have possession in overtime. The Chiefs won basically because they won the coin toss.......and Mahomes is good. The overtime rules for post season games need to change.......Allen is the best quarterback in the league in my opinion. We never got to see what could have been.....

I agree with you 100% Hydrant, this rule has bothered me since its inception, it would be neat if the NFL adopted the NCAA football overtime format where both teams get a turn on offense to start. Another rule that really gets me is the spot foul on pass interference, if you're in a 3rd and 26 bind just heave it 40 yards downfield and chances are if your guy doesn't catch it uncontested then there is a real good chance of defensive pi and your 3rd and 26 problem is solved! Once again, I believe college has it correct here as well with it being a flat 15 yard penalty. It has never made sense to me a guy can get tagged with a massive yardage pi penalty ie 45 yards etc, yet unsportsmanlike conduct yields a 15 yard penalty max.

• Options

@Brick said:
    Since next season hasn't started yet I'll commence the bitching. Coin flips should have nothing to do with the outcome.

But coin flips don't have anything to do with the outcome already. Defenses do.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@MisterTim1962 said:

I agree with you about the Bills D, but really the way both teams D’s were playing it really did have everything to do with that coin toss

Both of those D's were gassed by the start of OT. Totally agree. Whoever got possession first was winning it.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both teams should get the ball in my opinion.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Both teams should get the ball in my opinion.

Agree 100% but it should be addressed before the season starts.

I just think it’s so typically reactive rather than it being a proactive subject as it should have been already.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still remember that 2018 LSU vs Texas A&M game, that was a doozie, 7 overtimes.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of the 2nd team getting a rebuttal to try and match.
    Is it standard kickoff or start on say, the 50? Either would be fine.

I think offense should NOT start out in FG/scoring range, they should work at least some to get in FG range. This the 50 yard line thought instead of college 25 yard line.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 cents...

The rule is that whichever team wins the coin toss, they get the ball fist in OT. The rule also states that if the team who has first possession, and scores a field goal, the opponent gets the ball. IF, HOWEVER,, the team who first gets the ball scores a touchdown, the game is ovah!! So, in this case, the Bills lost the toss, Mahomes throws for a td, therefore, IMO, the coin toss was indeed key to this win...without having won the toss, the Bills would have had the ball, and who knows what the result could have been.

Tough game to lose, no question. Stupid me checked out early, BUT, I have it recorded. B) Heads up Bills fans, your team played one helluva game. Kinda like the Bucs game, lost in the final seconds with a deep pass, a scrambling team to get set so JG could spike it and a chip shot FG. KC played equally as well...until the coin went into the air.

Somebody's gotta lose. And for those who aren't sportsmen enough, cease with the pouring salt into those who post here and who's teams lost. Its far too bush league to be on this website, so, smarten up and play nice, or go back to wherever you drifted in from.

• Options

Well there are alot of rules in the books that can turn a game. I don't agree with some of them at all, seems for example all you have to do is 'blink' at an opponent to get a personal foul - 15 yarder (or roughing the qb) these days and that can kill a drive or a defense to get called one of these even in a case where the 'blink' was clearly soft but hands or something just happened to be in a defined place they were not supposed to be. Would I revise those rules if I was King NFL? Absolutely. etc. etc. So yes the OT as it stands at present could probably be revised to make it appear to be more egalitarian for each team. But. Still. The Bills defense had every capability of stopping the Chiefs in OT, they are elite athletes, both teams were tired. They had to suck it up and defend, that was what they were given. They did not, they lost. Had they rose to the occaision, then Allen might March down and win it. But they did not. Period. Those were the rules, that is how it is going to be played. If it were my team that gave up that last TD, I'd be pissed at them, not the rules bc I know going in what the rules are and how it will be played and defense must show it can rise to the occasion if they want to win. Sorry if I don't have empathy for the Bills or anyone in this example............