Home U.S. Coin Forum

Exceptional 1882 G$10 cherry pick, any experts?

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never owned anything like this before. I'm still kinda shaking and it's hard for me to believe this is really happening.

This is potentially MS65 (or better) territory for this issue, right? I've been looking at PCGS TrueView and completed online auctions all night and I'm still beside myself.

I'd really appreciate your candid opinions even if it doesn't confirm my bias. I paid melt lol, so break my heart if you gotta, I can take it.

I also can't find info on "Variety 2" for this issue, if anyone can help. Thank you.

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out in the field behind the neck it looks like some sort of small "wiped" area or spot removal.
    If not for that, it looks like it would have had a good shot at MS64. Need better pictures to be sure.

Still, a nice coin for "melt".

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a lot of scuffing in the field. Looks 62 or maybe a 63. Can we get better pics with more and better lighting?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not EF40! Not sure what you paid for it, but by the tone of your message, sounds like you got quite a deal. Definitely worth grading IMHO! Nice pick up!

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting that coin for under $900 was a good deal regardless of grade. I don't see an MS65 coin but could be 62/63 if not for that area DCarr mentioned. I could see this one coming back details.

@Azurescens said:

I also can't find info on "Variety 2" for this issue, if anyone can help. Thank you.

Can someone explain what a "Variety 2" is for this issue? This is a new one for me.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Azurescens said:

Can someone explain what a "Variety 2" is for this issue? This is a new one for me.

My guess is that “variety 2” simply indicates With Motto dates in the series.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Azurescens said:

Probably ‘ With Motto ‘

I've never heard them referred to as being a Variety 2 considering all 1882 G$10 are the same variety. Normally they would be referred to as "No Motto" or "NM" or they would be referred to as "With Motto" or "WM".

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I've never heard them referred to as being a Variety 2 considering all 1882 G$10 are the same variety. Normally they would be referred to as "No Motto" or "NM" or they would be referred to as "With Motto" or "WM".

I have also heard of them referred to as Type 1, Type 2 as with $10s and $20s.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That appears to be a nice gold coin... Better pictures would help, but looks like a MS63 in those pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Variety 1 (No Motto). Minted 1838-1866
    Variety 2 (Motto). Minted 1866-1907

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you got it for melt you did OK. Unfortunately, it is not MS65. The disturbances in the fields, both obverse and reverse will limit its grade to 62/63/64 depending on what it actually looks like in hand.

All glory is fleeting.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

No guess but nice score!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color and luster are really something in the photo. I too would like a bit more detail of the right obverse field.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

the EF40 does not go with that coin, why do people assume the Var 2 does?

Nice gold pickup, did it come in the blue box or is that just a support prop?

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 9:09AM

Not quite a cherry but I picked this scarce early post civil war New Orleans eagle that is an a rare conservative NGC holder for only double melt. While baggy like most of these issues are after coming back form Europe, there is little actual rub and it is almost fully PL with nice copper and honey gold coloring. I believe it to be a 55 today.

One of the cool things about the 1882 is the old school script of the 2 which is unique for the 1882 eagles I believe

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice coin for the price keep up the good work.

Hoard the keys.

Marks say ms 64, luster says MS62+ so MS63+ Seems about right

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the insight, everyone. This really helps a lot.

I'll hopefully have it next week and I'll upload photos and video.

The guy I bought it from said it was one of the main pieces at the front of his grandfather's collection, and he had it as long as he could remember. So I hope that smear doesn't totally kill this coin.

This is a 64 for this year 😌

Probably the nicest 64 I've seen and I'm not convinced these are original surfaces

This 64+ from heritage is really nice, too. I hope whoever owns it is enjoying it. I have an 1886-S G$5 in 62 that looks like this and I really like it.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    Not quite a cherry but I picked this scarce early post civil war New Orleans eagle that is an a rare conservative NGC holder for only double melt. While baggy like most of these issues are after coming back form Europe, there is little actual rub and it is almost fully PL with nice copper and honey gold coloring. I believe it to be a 55 today.

One of the cool things about the 1882 is the old school script of the 2 which is unique for the 1882 eagles I believe

Thank you for sharing. It's a nice piece. I fell in love with 1880's G$5 and G$10 somewhere along the way. Love the whole green gold and dirty gold aesthetic. It's a really interesting period for US gold production and there's a lot to talk about with them.

I was gonna buy a half ounce of gold last night but saw this instead. Couldn't walk away.

And thanks everyone for the other insights I really appreciate it. Will bring clear pics in natural light when she shows up.

Gonna be one of my most eye appealing Details grade coins, if nothing else 😋

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I wonder if it once had an ANACS photo certificate.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the area I was referring to, where maybe someone wiped across a spot to try and remove it:

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy a coin like yours at melt all day long or until I went broke.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking pickup. Hard to grade from those photos but does look nice!

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you going to give the seller anything additional if it comes back worth significantly more than you paid for it?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others say, if you picked this one up at melt or even a small premium above, you did well. I would be concerned about the rough spots one the obverse, especially the one behind Ms. Liberty's head. Hard to tell exactly what's going on there... hopefully not enough to earn a "details" designation.

Mark

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2022 8:52PM

@Crypto said:

$888 x 2 = $1776, sounds about what one would expect to pay based on recent auction results. Cool O mint Eagle.

Mark

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    This is the area I was referring to, where maybe someone wiped across a spot to try and remove it:

I think that's a combination of ghosting from the wing on the reverse and bad JPEG artifacts.

@mark_dak said:

@Crypto said:

$888 x 2 = $1776, sounds about what one would expect to pay based on recent auction results. Cool O mint Eagle.

Mark

*1700$ but It requires a nuance understanding of the market but youre misreading old results for XF coins in AU holders and many other higher results. These don't trade that regularly due to their rarity and there is a massive price escalation in the AU range. These were in the low thousands for years when common dates were trading in the mid hundreds. Now that common dates have surpassed 1k the key dates were slower to escalate and still traded for similar premiums. Part of the hoopla going on with gold is the rebalancing of prices if common dates trade higher, dealers are raising the premiums of harder to replace branch mints and key dates.

Good luck finding any 1879-1883 o mint eagle with strong luster in a problem free holder now

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file