Home Metal Detecting
Options

What do you think?

I was wondering what you guys thought of this. I am pretty sure it it an old telegraph insulator because it was found it an electric coop and is one a metal post that goes on a telephone crossarm. I have never seen another one like it. Comments are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    BrutalflyBrutalfly Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

The number on it look like 42335 or 42385

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

i wonder if that goes to like some sort of pulley system?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks a barb wire stringing bracket. I don't think metal was used where electricity was present. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes more sense to me namvet

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not an 'insulator' when made of metal.... Neat find though... looks like a part number or patent number... cannot tell from the pictures. Must have rung up loud and clear on the MD... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BrutalflyBrutalfly Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the comments and the conversation everyone. I have enjoyed reading the posts and doing a little more digging around on the internet.

I completely understand what guys are thinking when it comes to insulators and metal. My son has said the same thing "Dad isn't metal a conductor." Great conversation to have with my son because he collects insulators with me and my dad. So we have 3 generations collection insulators. My thinking is that could get a telegraph or telephone insulator that was metal encased as there have been examples of those found just not like this one. It was got me thinking more a long those lines than anything else.

Here are a couple examples of metal encased insulators.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does the 'post' that it is attached to look like, is it threaded.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brutalfly
    Based on the wear points on the sides and on the top, perhaps it was a jig for bending pipe/conduit producing bends with different radii??

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look like a cable top insulator but I never saw a cast iron one before..........doesn't mean they don't exist though. At times insulators held telegraph lines too, not just electric lines. Did the telegraph lines need insulated? I don't know...........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

An insulator would be nonmetallic so they signal wouldn't be grounded out. Have you looked at the serial numbers on the one and maybe that could give you a clue. They definitely are different but rather nice-looking whatever they might be. Nice Vine :#

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members