Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone know how many version one and 1.1 holders were released by PCGS when it began operations

Can anyone tell me how many coins were encapsulated by PCGS in the very beginning. According to the museum of holders PCGS started in February 1986 using version 1.0 and then transition to version 1.1 but that was only till mid February. Those two styles of holders that were produced during that approx 2 week time period were white and very plain looking.
By the end of February 1986 and after barely 1 month of operation PCGS transition to the version 1.2 holder and the insert color was changed to pale green.
My question is how many holders were released by PCGS with the white insert versions 1 and 1.1 ?
Does anyone have a wild guess.
Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great question.
    I will have to wait for answers from those with the knowledge.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably ballpark - but how did you come up with those numbers??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

My guess is cert numbers. Though we do know there is commingling of the insert types. So ballparks as good as you get probably.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

This is not the first time that this question was asked and answered on this board.

The search function on this board sucks, but I took the numbers from when you opined on this long ago. I see no reason to doubt your conclusions.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK - was hoping you had some fresh information ......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Johnscott6443Johnscott6443 Posts: 29
    edited January 23, 2022 6:06AM

Thanks that’s the first time I’ve heard anybody try to quantify this. We’re only talking about a two week. Pretty much for the version 1.0 and 1.1 according to PCGS. The first versions supposedly started in the 1080000 serial number range as I recall, seems like a very random place to start lol.
    The PCGS holder museum list the first two as rare so I have been collecting them for sometime regardless of the coin type and only in MS
    To me it just seemed like kind of a cool thing to do.
    Thanks everyone

• Options

correction all white card insert holders are in the 1080000 range.
    And are considered very rare by PCGS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file