Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

novice questions about a Buffalo 5¢

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a Morgan dollar collector, so I know virtually nothing about Buffalo nickels. So...

What are all of the raised metal lines under the buff's belly and elsewhere in this photo?

Why does it look like there is a B under the Indian's chin?

Is this is one of the 1914/3 die pairs?

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die erosion / worn die

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Why does it look like there is a B under the Indian's chin?"

Sorry, I missed this the first time, it's hiding between 2 photos.

Die clash letter transfer from the reverse EPU

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a die clash.
    IMO:
    To me it is the letter "R" from EPLURBUS.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "lines" are from die overuse. They are flow lines indicating that the die should have been changed out long before they appeared.

Usually called "cavitation", especially around the rim as metal flows toward it, happens a lot to Buffs, especially at branch mints where the die supply is limited.

The letters under the chin, routinely called "chin whiskers", are from the dies hitting each other without a planchet (coin) between them due to a problem with the feeder mechanism not operating properly.

Lastly, the coin you presented is not a 14/3 overdate. The genuine overdate shows a visible line at the top crossing the 4 in the date. The line comes from the top of the 3, which on Buffs is flat.

There are specimens from different dies, but some of the notations have recently been excluded from certain coins sent for slabbing.

The late Ron Pope was the person to go to for a complete explanation.

I can only vaguely speculate.

I miss him. He was my friend.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with over used die for 1, and clashing for 2.
    I defer to IronTail on 3, he’s the one of the experts.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file