Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Australian Auction Houses

EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
edited January 21, 2022 2:36PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

As a serious collector of the Australian Wedge-tailed Silver Eagle I find myself facing a difficult situation. To begin, I'm assembling a complete 2014- current in an MS/PF 70 grade. Preferably in PCGS, but having a few NGC because of extremely low population figures at both firms. I'm lacking eight, four in the low relief proof- not the common high relief- which are extremely tough to locate in any grade. Living in the United States, the major houses here hardly ever have any for auction, or at least those I'm searching for. So, a search of the internet to find a few in or near Australia began, with similar circumstances. The question is, are there any auction firms similar to Heritage, Great Collections, Stacks & Bowers, ect. where collectors of Australian coinage and bank notes might dominate? Downies was one, but they appear to be far and few between, uncertain from the current site page. Any help, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What I'm lacking: These five would be the tough ones. 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 low relief proof. The 2020 and 2021 high relief, easily available but way over priced- they will drop as did previous years.

Comments

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 263 ✭✭✭

Older images, does not show the 2016 proof or 2020-21 MS70

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Status International: https://www.statusint.com/

Noble: https://www.noble.com.au/

Don’t the bullion houses carry them (Apmex, Panda, Modern Coin Mart, etc.)?

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

I'm being Captain Obvious here but there are 178 on eBay in the bullion category. Slabbed and raw with every date covered.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2022 7:18PM

Bullion, but not graded for those I'm lacking. EBAY only has ones which I already have. To put it into perspective, the 2017 low relief has a population of 22 at NGC, and 8 PCGS. After that the populations are lower. So it's highly likely these are in registry sets and when consigned will most certainly go through an auction house, not EBAY or Heritage in the States. Which is why I'm thinking one closer to the source.

• deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

You could try
    Imperial Coin Auctions and IAG auctions both are very good.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another smaller auction house is Roxbury's, based in my hometown, Brisbane. They're having a PCGS-slabbed-coins-only online auction coming up in just a few days time. I think this is the first time any Australian auction company has done a slabbed-only auction, to my knowledge.

https://bid.roxburys.com.au/auctions/4-4U2MBM/roxburys-auction-house-january-pcgs-auction-monday-31st-jan-tuesday-1st-feb

Sorry, there are no wedge-tails in the current auction, but you might want to keep an eye out on them if this auction format works and they try it again in the future.

Slabbing companies still aren't popular here in Australia, due to the high cost and risk of shipping coins both ways, plus the lingering perception that "the American TPGs don't know how to grade Australian coins properly". So I think you're still far more likely to find Australian slabbed coins in America, rather than Australia.

Happy Australia Day, y'all. ;)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:

Slabbing companies still aren't popular here in Australia, due to the high cost and risk of shipping coins both ways, plus the lingering perception that "the American TPGs don't know how to grade Australian coins properly".

Reminds me of the Japanese government excuse to disallow American pharmaceutical companies to market medicine in Japan.

Of course it wasn’t protectionism. It’s because American companies don’t understand Japanese bodies!

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can relate to the difference in grading standards. I don't know if the folks down under have been corrupted by us Yanks yet! Probably 15 years ago I was dealing with an Aussie over an ebay deal that went South. I honestly don't remember but I think his shipment to me was lost. He offered to do some trading. I was reluctant but what the hey. He sent me a couple of coins I was interested in grading them XF(no pics). One that I remember was a 1916 florin. That coin then and now would grade AU55-58 with our hosts! Needless to say we did a bit more dealing! Never could come together on a Waitangi crown though. :(

@Sapyx said:
    Another smaller auction house is Roxbury's, based in my hometown, Brisbane. They're having a PCGS-slabbed-coins-only online auction coming up in just a few days time. I think this is the first time any Australian auction company has done a slabbed-only auction, to my knowledge.

https://bid.roxburys.com.au/auctions/4-4U2MBM/roxburys-auction-house-january-pcgs-auction-monday-31st-jan-tuesday-1st-feb

Sorry, there are no wedge-tails in the current auction, but you might want to keep an eye out on them if this auction format works and they try it again in the future.

Slabbing companies still aren't popular here in Australia, due to the high cost and risk of shipping coins both ways, plus the lingering perception that "the American TPGs don't know how to grade Australian coins properly". So I think you're still far more likely to find Australian slabbed coins in America, rather than Australia.

Happy Australia Day, y'all. ;)

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx

Thank you for the link!

Otherwise, I’ve only had happy experiences with Noble, (ex SPINK Australia I believe?) ,too happy a few times, given the different dates that their auctions take place and that they do not attract as much attention as big US houses.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3