Home Q & A Forum

Coin Show Etiquette

PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

I'm about to attend my first coin show in Grand Island NE. Probably a small one but at least ANACS will be there. One problem I'm having, after about 4 months of handling coins, is gauging surface quality. In particular, where cleaned/polished/scratched is concerned. Approx 1/3 of the coins I've sent to be graded have come back DETAILS. Is it OK to bring a limited number of coins I'm struggling with and ask they be evaluated on-site? I don't have the photo equipment to do it properly on this forum. Anything to know other than bring cash and comfortable shoes? TIA

USAF veteran 1984-2005

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you have fun at your first show! :)

If ANACS will be there they may tell you if you have a coin that has been cleaned/polished/scratched.
    The person from ANACS is not a grader and if something is questionable they will tell you to just send it in.

One of the best things you can do is talk to several dealers and ask them to take a quick peek at your coins if they are not too busy. If you tell most dealers that it's your first coin show and you need some help most will be happy to take a little time with you. Once you have several opinions you may have a better idea of what to take back to the ANACS table for grading.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE certainly exciting to get to a show, even a small one. Couple of things come to mind. Hopefully you have and use a good loupe. As you examine a coin, available lighting can be helpful or deceptive. It's nice to examine a similar graded coin in hand to appreciate the surface condition. I love to talk to dealers and tell them what I'm interested in and specify a grade. Our host also has excellent coin images that you can view on your phone. First show is gonna be awesome, try to pace yourself, get dealer contact info for follow up. Making an informed decision is a good feeling. Good luck and be safe. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless it is a big show, it won’t be a grader at the show, just someone accepting coins to be graded.
    Visit lots of tables and look at lots of coins.

thefinn
  • PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Thanks all. Tonight I prepared a 20 coin submission for ANACS. Nothing real fancy but I want to at least establish a relationship. Hopefully they'll accept them in a sure-safe. I ran out of flips. It's funny a Loupe was mentioned as I shopped for one last night but out of stock locally. Shipped one wouldn't get here in time. Guess I'll have to bring the big 'ol Sherlock Holmes one I have. That and a redbook in-hand should make me stick out like a sore thumb.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

I had a great time. Started off by submitting 20 Morgans and/or Peace dollars to ANACS to establish a relationship. Easy-peezy which is the way I like it. Now the test. I brought with me about 75 Morgans I didn't like; cleaned/damaged or I had multiples of it. I worked a trade using approx 50 of them for a 21, a 28, and 34-D Peace Dollars in mint states. I also came away with 2 of the 3 2021 Morgans I needed. My one screw-up was not bringing an inventory so I know what holes to fill. The highlight of the day were some great conversations. I'm not a social butterfly but many were fellow vets or people like me that were just happy to get out from under COVID for awhile and shoot the poo. Lastly, I learned of shows and clubs closer to home and eagerly await participating. A day I won't forget....even my bum knee cooperated.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report & great pick ups! :)

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Nice show report & great pick ups! :)

Thanks. The 21 was a coin that when I picked it up, it had to be mine. It's got a little something about it. I didn't even notice the VAM attribution until I was half way home. Maybe it will help me distinguish between a scratch and a polishing line.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you had a pleasant experience at your first show.
    Great pickups especially the 1921 peace dollar.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...