Home U.S. Coin Forum

1968 Kennedy Half Dollar Lamanation Clamshell Error!

Hello While CRH half dollars for silver, I pulled this 1968 Kennedy Half Dollar Lamanation Clamshell error. I wanted to share it here. I have been a member here for a while, yet forgot all about this site. I use another site to show most of my finds. Hope you like it. I pulled this coin on Sept 22, 2017

Comments

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well welcome back.

Hoard the keys.
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like your extra chimney better. :grin:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that 2 halves fused together? Where's Fred? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color of it makes it seem non-silver

What’s it weigh?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • arby96arby96 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    The color of it makes it seem non-silver

What’s it weigh?

The coins weighs in at 11.49 grams

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back. That almost looks like a secret compartment, like a Trade Dollar "opium dollar!"

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

my bad. 40% and clad weights are within tolerances of each other

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool - When you first found it did you try to pull it apart before you realized what it was?

Nope, I knew it was a type of Lamination error, I didn't know it was called a clamshell until I researched it. I spelled it wrong in my heading. LOL

• Dug13Dug13 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

Welcome back & nice find!
    Thanks for sharing.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice clamshell split outer layer Congrats on the find

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back... And that is a great find.... Thanks for the excellent pictures. Cheers, RickO

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 11:46AM

Awesome catch. Even better than finding the silver value!
    At first, it would appear to maybe being a magician coin. Glad it's not.
    Very cool to have. It even got Fred's approval.
    Congratulations ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic clamshell error coin <3

Thank you all for the kind words. I love this hobby, yet sometimes its a bit confusing specially the double dies. Obvious DD are easy its all the others that pop up that can get tricky.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm enjoying your posts of your previous finds @arby96. Something nice and fresh around here. Thanks!

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome find!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

is there really no concern that this coin appears to have been severely tampered with?

also in the one image, the inside does not appear to be what i'd expect to see from a legit clamshell, granted i really can't see much.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

cool

BST references available on request

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file