Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can anyone identify this coin?

Greetings, I have, as part of the collection I inherited, a strange coin with a few marks. If anyone's able to ID it I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another coin in the photo for size reference may help.

• Options

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a large cent that some kid mangled with a vise and some washers....

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    It looks like a large cent that some kid mangled with a vise and some washers....

That would be my guess. If we could get the weight, it would help. It may be a foreign coin that got smashed with a hammer for some reason. In that condition, it really has no value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weight
    Diameter
    Thickness

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

It is 4.8 g and 1" in diameter. I can't measure the thickness with the ruler I have.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too heavy for a us blank

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

'slug'

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with that... It is far beyond any numismatic value... if indeed it every was a coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never a coin but a slug.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:

If I rotate it a bit - based on the horizontal line near the bottom, and what looks like the remnant of a date just below it, as well as the "N" in the upper right I'd say it started off its life as something from Great Britain - perhaps a half penny similar to this.

That is freaking awesome! How did you do that?!? :o

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:

If I rotate it a bit - based on the horizontal line near the bottom, and what looks like the remnant of a date just below it, as well as the "N" in the upper right I'd say it started off its life as something from Great Britain - perhaps a half penny similar to this.

What an eye.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

It's not too difficult to rotate a coin. With some practice I'm sure you'll be able to do it too.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@moursund said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

It's not too difficult to rotate a coin. With some practice I'm sure you'll be able to do it too.

I can pitch a coin, or roll it... but I have trouble with the yaw... :smile:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file