Home U.S. Coin Forum

And you thought PCGS turnaround times were bad...

Anyone else notice NGC changed their turnaround times? "Early Bird" is now up to 68 days and Economy is now 85(!?). I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly hesitant to submit anything to either service as it will be a 3+ month turnaround unless you shell out $$$.

Comments

• MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

I sent a submission in. The coins were delivered on Nov. 1st received in on Dec 9th. They have been in grading for a month now. I’ll probably see my coins in March. :o

• I have a submission delivered Dec 9th that hasn't even shown up in their system yet.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent in an express package for a member here. Supposedly a 3 day turnaround. Sent mid December , as I recall. Forgot to write "express" on outer package.

Ooops. Sorry jedm.

Slow? Pathetically lethargic.

• My packaged was "received" on December 2. I finally called Friday and was told what is stated in the above post. Of course they haven't cashed my check yet, but I am through with them!

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

You all better hope they don't mark down the grade, because the work is late... 😜

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

You wonder why people are looking at alternatives such as Anacs and Icg. Maybe they will get them crossed when this is over.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@parallax1 said:
    Anyone else notice NGC changed their turnaround times? "Early Bird" is now up to 68 days and Economy is now 85(!?). I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly hesitant to submit anything to either service as it will be a 3+ month turnaround unless you shell out $$$.

My last econ at PCGS took over 100, it was dropped off at ANA and I just got it back a couple weeks ago. I bet current TAT at PCGS are still underestimated. Just food for thought.

Also NGC turned my last econ around in 30 biz days back in Dec, for some extra brain food.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2022 2:01PM

Oh goodie, looks like NGC is about to acknowledge receipt of my submission which was delivered mid-November. I won't go into why I had to submit a coin to them, but rest assured, I have no plans to ever do it again.

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Today I received the grades for my economy submission of 12 Morgans received by PCGS on 11/18/21. A little outside the window perhaps but not too bad.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@parallax1 said:

I agree. I passed on submitting anything due to the absurd turnaround times. I'm not willing to have them keep my stuff for 90+ days just to put on a number in a slab lol

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt they are popular with all this volume! I have a single coin submission that was received November 10 and it’s still in grading. I don’t really care, it’s just a cheap coin more for fun, but I can understand the anticipation some have.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

took two weeks for them to acknowledge receipt of submission after they actually received it. Then another two months to complete the six coin economy submission. Had an earlier order where I got back the two coin set of ASE reverse proofs - The W coin was in the S holder and the S coin was in the W holder. Rather than return them and wait for them to correct I sold them on ebay for a "label error" premium.

I think all the modern mint issues in the latter part of the year backed up all the TPGs.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya think!! 😇

Ken
  • PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you to the op for starting this post.
    I know a few people including me who exclusively use pcgs for grading and we have more submissions to send in but the delays seriously has us considering sending coins into ngc for the first time.
    Learning that ngc is having issues too was great to hear. I will just wait like everyone else.
    😳

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are quick. Look at CGC or PSA turnaround times.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent 4 orders to PCGS Last week. It showed received in two days. I am pretty happy with that.

• I have to wonder if they'll pull a move a la the trading card grading companies and just halt submissions for a month or two if things get really bad. If economy submissions hit 100 business days something has to give.

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also.......try telling the grading services to grade and ship your coins back ASAP, and you'll log in their invoice within two months and pay them within an additional 85 business days and see what they say, LOLOL.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who wants to try an order to the Russian grading company with me? 😆

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the last 2-3 orders I have sent in took 2 weeks to get there and another to be picked up at the P.O. I sent one in last Tuesday and received a notice from PCGS that they received it today. If it takes another 8 to 12 weeks to get it crossed, sobeit.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my stuff that is worth grading, is already slabbed. I have a coupon for grading ATS that Im sure Ill use at some point in the future, but I hope grading times improve!

@jt88 said:
    I sent 4 orders to PCGS Last week. It showed received in two days. I am pretty happy with that.

That proves that the post office is fast...

• Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Better to buy slabbed coins which are obviously nice for the grade. Of course then people would want to crack them out and re slab them.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 3:15PM

I know it will not make anyone feel better, but this type of issue is affecting many different businesses. Labor shortages, material shortages, food shortages. The supply chain itself is mangled. Will be a while before things smooth out. Cheers, RickO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it started to get bad towards late 2020 I saw the writing on the wall and stopped submitting anywhere. Just been buying already-slabbed items. It's not worth the frustration playing that game right now unless you're a business. It's one reason I don't buy raw except for some small, ubiquitous examples for my several raw albums which are nearly done.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some raw foreign and colonial coins that are of interest to me, but I'm reluctant to tie up purchases for three months. (I only consider raw coins in cases where slabbed coins are scarce.) And, one of three that I sent in last fall disappeared on its way back after it reached my local USPS hub. Best to be patient these days.

• And now I just got an email that they’re raising submission fees…

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting to send your submission makes no sense. The sooner PCGS gets your coins the sooner they get graded.

Waiting 2 months to send them in still adds 2 months to turnaround time.

GrandAm :)
  • stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

I couldn't stomach having any of my coins out of my personal possession for that long. I am sure this has been answered before, but does PCGS have less graders than pre-COVID? Is it a backlog? It seems like they could just hire more qualified graders.

@stownsin said:
    I couldn't stomach having any of my coins out of my personal possession for that long. I am sure this has been answered before, but does PCGS have less graders than pre-COVID? Is it a backlog? It seems like they could just hire more qualified graders.

It's not so easy to find qualified graders.

I suspect the clog is with moderns: SAE, GAE, commems, special issues like the 2021 morgan and peace.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got 4 submissions in at PCGS. 1 Economy (encapsulation) 1 (Grading) 2 (Regular). I am already at the point where I know it will be a while but all are worth waiting for.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2022 2:15PM

@parallax1 said:
    I have to wonder if they'll pull a move a la the trading card grading companies and just halt submissions for a month or two if things get really bad. If economy submissions hit 100 business days something has to give.

I'm at calendar day 104, in the encapsulation phase now...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I know it will not make anyone feel better, but this type of issue is affecting many different businesses. Labor shortages, material shortages, food shortages. The supply chain itself is mangled. Will be a while before things smooth out. Cheers, Rick

THIS

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@TurtleCat said:
    I suspect the clog is with moderns: SAE, GAE, commems, special issues like the 2021 morgan and peace.

Maybe. I randomly looked at several shared orders and all but one were of foreign regions and foreign coins. Just a guess but I imagine Asian collectors overwhelmingly use PCGS.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, PCGS just moved its 45 day turnaround for BOTH economy and Regular submissions to .....

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2022 6:09PM

Still too low. I'm on business day 68 if you account for all federal holidays for an economy sub. Been in encapsulation for two weeks now.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE said:

@TurtleCat said:

Maybe. I randomly looked at several shared orders and all but one were of foreign regions and foreign coins. Just a guess but I imagine Asian collectors overwhelmingly use PCGS.

>
    After I saw your post, I was curious about the volume of world coin grading submissions. I searched on eBay to see what certified coins were being offered for sale. I didn't have the time or inclination to search by country or even by region so I did a search in "Coins & Paper Money>Coins>World" for:

"World Coins PCGS" and it came up with 23,000+ Listings

"World Coins NGC" and it came up with 67,000+ Listings

So, perhaps it isn't as overwhelming as you think. ;)

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

"And you thought PCGS turnaround times were bad..."

Looks like the 'TPG other than the hosts' are out in force here to bash.......................

Reality check, both TPG's are being ridiculously slow right now. I won't be submitting to either again until they fix this.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE said:

@TurtleCat said:

But are they sending them to Newport Beach or a facility in their own neck of the woods?

@BAJJERFAN said:

@PapiNE said:

@TurtleCat said:

But are they sending them to Newport Beach or a facility in their own neck of the woods?

I imagine most of the Chinese and Asian coins are going through the Chinese office. When I go through shared orders I often find that the submission numbers are in a very different range for those offices than the one here in the US.

It would be interesting to learn what the majority of the volume is. I’m assuming the graders of classic US aren’t also doing moderns and bullion. If so, are average turnaround times dependent upon the types of coins being submitted to some degree?

• ESTIMATED SUBMISSION TURNAROUND TIME
    For: US Coins | World Coins | Banknotes
    SERVICE ESTIMATED TURNAROUND TIME
    EXPRESS 15 business days
    REGULAR 50 business days
    ECONOMY 60 business days
    MODERN 50 business days
    MODERN VALUE 50 business days

Seems about right. My modern received 12/8/21 just went into encapsulation. I should have it in-hand late next week. My show submission to TPG #3 received 1/24, is due back 3/28.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2022 7:48AM

Got coin back . Was going to say it's " about time" but it's "about good" :blush:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file