Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Crescent Moon Eisenhower Dollar - largest clipped planchet ever?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 17, 2022 7:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's an amazing 1977 Ike Dollar error I found while looking for clipped planchets.

This one isn't just large, it's huge. Anyone know what percentage clipped this would be?

A very nice thing about this is that the following are full:

1. Ike's face including eye and mouth
  2. Eagle's head
  3. Moon
  4. Date (at least legible)
  5. UNITED STATES
  6. IN GOD WE TRUST

Has anyone seen anything larger or coming close?

Anyone know if this is slabbed?

Source: https://coinauctionshelp.com/clipped-planchet-mint-error/

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That's a huge clip and the date is still visible. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's got to be an equation that can reveal the missing volume but I don't know it. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o Wow.... Never saw one that large..... Assumedly it was found in a bag of coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2022 6:10AM

Possibly the largest curved clip on an Ike.
    I have a 74 percent curved clip dime with date, and have seen a lincoln cent thats 75 percent clipped without the date.

@Zoins
    It has to be weighed to determine how large the clip is because the metal flows into the clipped portion.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that's cool.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2022 9:11AM

@gumby1234 said:
    Possibly the largest curved clip on an Ike.
    I have a 74 percent curved clip dime with date, and have seen a lincoln cent thats 75 percent clipped without the date.

@Zoins
    It has to be weighed to determine how large the clip is because the metal flows into the clipped portion.

Wow! That’s great!

So the Ike may be the greatest in terms of mass or weight clipped but has competition in terms of percent of mass given these 2 other coins.

That being said, I’m not sure the Ike would be as aesthetically pleasing if the clip were larger due to the potential cutting off of more of Ike’s face, the Eagle’s head, and the date. It’s almost perfect for an Ike. The detail that is left is really amazing.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder where that Ike is. It would be a great addition to my collection. :)

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Namvet69 said:
    There's got to be an equation that can reveal the missing volume but I don't know it. Peace Roy

Compare the weight of this coin to the weight of a non-error Ike dollar. Simple math exercise.

Exactly.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2022 8:11AM

@PerryHall said:

@Namvet69 said:

Compare the weight of this coin to the weight of a non-error Ike dollar. Simple math exercise.

That's the way to do it, but it's not simple when all you have are photos! :'(

• Options
    edited January 17, 2022 8:13AM

@gumby1234 said:
    I wonder where that Ike is. It would be a great addition to my collection. :)

Great question! I don't know but it would be great to find out.

Any thoughts Mike @Byers and @FredWeinberg?

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins
    I have seen it before but don’t know where.

Here is another fascinating Ike Dollar mint error from a clipped and or scrap planchet. This one is struck on a 9.5 gram scrap planchet PCGS MS 63.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one crazy Ike clip, very nice.

I bought this large (crescent) clip nickel raw and had certified. Great to have the date on such a piece.

• Options
    edited January 17, 2022 4:18PM

Does this the OP crescent coin look like a 1977-D?

It looks like could be a "D" mintmark to me! It looks like there could be a partial "D" on the clip edge.

Here's an approximate overlay with a TrueView to compare, showing the "D on the edge.

And the full TrueView image:

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a better, more appealing True by weight via Herbert's Hobby Standard 60%+ Crescent in ANA Museum. It was given away by its owner with dozens of others when the Good Doctor Berry learned of those multimint releases back in that day, A multi mint abundance of Shenanigans deception. Denver, Philly and San Franscico all produced epic, well thought out, indeed I am certain, conceived errors made to be collector treasures. Many were daylighted by Lonesome John's deep pocket cash purchases by 1977 which were rewards to those Mint's floor employees some 40+ years ago. Philly, Denver and San Fran Shenanigans are incredibly well represented. Proofs are easy to critique but others from Philly and Denver were on the LJ and others money train. Pay attention, shop wisely as 1 or 2 of millions is rare, but most were actually made for resale. In spite of this, I Still I shop & choose, filling in holes. Most of the outlanndish errors from these decades were made for collectors, I remain certain of this. And I have shopped, with my eyes wide open for 3+ decades. Anyone still think five 1913 Liberty 5c are legit, all owned by a Philly Mint Employee from 1913 ?

• Options
    edited January 17, 2022 6:18PM

@LindyS said:
    There's a better, more appealing True by weight via Herbert's Hobby Standard 60%+ Crescent in ANA Museum. It was given away by its owner with dozens of others

Does the ANA have photos of this online? They have photos of somethings in specific exhibits but I wish they would put their entire collection online in a consistent way. The ANS has this and it's much appreciated.

Most of the outlanndish errors from these decades were made for collectors, I remain certain of this. And I have shopped, with my eyes wide open for 3+ decades. Anyone still think five 1913 Liberty 5c are legit, all owned by a Philly Mint Employee from 1913 ?

Is the outcome that the more of a fantasy a coin is, the more demand there is for it?

• Options

Vast majority of my error coin library is in deep storage.
    Some things I xerox'd for handy access.
    Here's the 1971D $ Crescent Clip Dr Berry donated to ANA
    I've seen it displayed a couple times at the Museum since 1980's

@Zoins said:
    Here's an amazing 1977 Ike Dollar error I found while looking for clipped planchets.

This one isn't just large, it's huge. Anyone know what percentage clipped this would be?

A very nice thing about this is that the following are full:

1. Ike's face including eye and mouth
    2. Eagle's head
    3. Moon
    4. Date (at least legible)
    5. UNITED STATES
    6. IN GOD WE TRUST

Has anyone seen anything larger or coming close?

Anyone know if this is slabbed?

Source: https://coinauctionshelp.com/clipped-planchet-mint-error/

• Options

I especially like the incorrect error diagnosis on this slab

• Options
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clipped planchets are only so-so interesting... but those HUGE CRESCENT IKE clips are fantastic!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

At what point is a coin considered struck on scrap instead of being clipped?

• Options

@gonzer said:
    At what point is a coin considered struck on scrap instead of being clipped?

I suppose the shape and condition of the struck piece.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always considered that it was 50% or more missing
    from the 'clip' that makes it a piece of scrap.

Don't know who or when that started, but I know
    it goes back at least 40 years or so.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

I meant to say 51% or more

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    :o Wow.... Never saw one that large..... Assumedly it was found in a bag of coins... Cheers, RickO

That’s what she said. Sorry couldn’t resist.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2022 3:51PM

Some of the PCGS and NGC clipped and or scrap, over 50% by weight say scrap. But I have noticed that both services sometimes puts the % ( example 74% clipped planchet) but does not call it scrap…so there is not a standard used consistently.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a struck crescent clip to compare to the ones in this thread, but back when I was first collecting clips I was given the clipped cent blank below by west coast error dealer Neil Osina, after I placed a large order from his mailing list. I didn't get a good picture of the back but on the flip he wrote "It's Real!"

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know that gigantic gold Maple Canada made a few years ago to the tune of hundreds of pounds? Well here’s an enormous 100% clip of that!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@airplanenut said:
    You know that gigantic gold Maple Canada made a few years ago to the tune of hundreds of pounds? Well here’s an enormous 100% clip of that!

Nice! They didn't actually use a planchet. Maybe you should include a picture of a newspaper clipping... 😉

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@airplanenut said:

Can we please get a pic of the reverse side?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@airplanenut said:

Here ya go!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@airplanenut said:

@PerryHall said:

@airplanenut said:

Here ya go!

Thanks. I looks just like I thought it would. ;)

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:

Fred, what about an incomplete clip that separates after the strike? You could have a crescent well under 50% by weight that is by no means struck on scrap.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

@FredWeinberg said:

Fred, what about an incomplete clip that separates after the strike? You could have a crescent well under 50% by weight that is by no means struck on scrap.

Good question. Here is one of my incomplete clips that is still attached, but would be a crescent if separated.

• Options

@LindyS said:
    There's a better, more appealing True by weight via Herbert's Hobby Standard 60%+ Crescent in ANA Museum. It was given away by its owner with dozens of others when the Good Doctor Berry learned of those multimint releases back in that day, A multi mint abundance of Shenanigans deception. Denver, Philly and San Franscico all produced epic, well thought out, indeed I am certain, conceived errors made to be collector treasures. Many were daylighted by Lonesome John's deep pocket cash purchases by 1977 which were rewards to those Mint's floor employees some 40+ years ago. Philly, Denver and San Fran Shenanigans are incredibly well represented. Proofs are easy to critique but others from Philly and Denver were on the LJ and others money train. Pay attention, shop wisely as 1 or 2 of millions is rare, but most were actually made for resale. In spite of this, I Still I shop & choose, filling in holes. Most of the outlanndish errors from these decades were made for collectors, I remain certain of this. And I have shopped, with my eyes wide open for 3+ decades. Anyone still think five 1913 Liberty 5c are legit, all owned by a Philly Mint Employee from 1913 ?

It is true that Dr. Berry gave up on collecting dollar errors and donated his collection to the ANA Museum after becoming disillusioned when he found out that he had been sold many deliberately made errors, but by no means was everything in his collection deliberately made. During my time as Senior Authenticator at ANACS (early 80's) I was asked by the Museum Curator to evaluate the donation piece by piece and identify what I thought was deliberate and what I thought was unintentional. I assume that my notes were somehow incorporated into the accession records. It has been some 40 years, but as I recall over half of it was what I called legitimate.

• Options
    edited January 19, 2022 9:15AM

@CaptHenway said:

@LindyS said:

It is true that Dr. Berry gave up on collecting dollar errors and donated his collection to the ANA Museum after becoming disillusioned when he found out that he had been sold many deliberately made errors, but by no means was everything in his collection deliberately made. During my time as Senior Authenticator at ANACS (early 80's) I was asked by the Museum Curator to evaluate the donation piece by piece and identify what I thought was deliberate and what I thought was unintentional. I assume that my notes were somehow incorporated into the accession records. It has been some 40 years, but as I recall over half of it was what I called legitimate.

Too bad Dr. Berry gave up if over half his collection was legit!

The flip side is that we see potentially intentional errors going through roof in terms of price now.

I hope he realizes the worth of his collection.

• Options

Dr. Berry passed away a long time ago -
    Don't remember the year, but it was
    well over 30 years ago, I believe.

• Options

Potential Elliptical & Crescent with curve clip and rim clip on this Type 2 Copper Cent Planchet
    Nice step illustrates the failure of gang punch to fully shear the planchet on its first pass thru the punches.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    Potential Elliptical & Crescent with curve clip and rim clip on this Type 2 Copper Cent Planchet
    Nice step illustrates the failure of gang punch to fully shear the planchet on its first pass thru the punches.

This is extremely cool, I cannot recall having seen another incomplete clip on a blank cent planchet before. Thank you for sharing the pics.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@airplanenut said:

@PerryHall said:

@airplanenut said:

Here ya go!

Thanks. I looks just like I thought it would. ;)

I was expecting the reverse to be "upside down", but then i realized that Canadian coins use the medallion orientation. Makes sense now... ;)

• Options
    edited January 19, 2022 12:38PM

@Zoins said:

“The flip side is that we see potentially intentional errors going through roof in terms of price now. I hope he realizes the worth of his collection.”

Yes!!

As documented in 6 or 7 Mint Error News articles on strong proof mint error prices in Heritage Auctions… his collection is worth multiples of the value at that time!

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

“ It is true that Dr. Berry gave up on collecting dollar errors and donated his collection to the ANA Museum after becoming disillusioned when he found out that he had been sold many deliberately made errors, but by no means was everything in his collection deliberately made. During my time as Senior Authenticator at ANACS (early 80's) I was asked by the Museum Curator to evaluate the donation piece by piece and identify what I thought was deliberate and what I thought was unintentional. I assume that my notes were somehow incorporated into the accession records. It has been some 40 years, but as I recall over half of it was what I called legitimate.”

In my opinion, Dr Berry’s Ike collection was half intentionally struck and half accidentally struck.

In the 70’s I would drive to Lonesome John’s office in NewBury Park ,CA and then drive to Dr Berry’s office in Alhambra, CA and sell him exotic proof errors.

My favorite was the proof clover of 3 mated Ikes on nickel planchets that I sold him. He told me many times subsequently that it was his favorite as well.

There may have been several reasons why he donated his collection. Tax reasons, name recognition, and disillusion.

But he sure was very excited purchasing proof error coins from me for several years over 10 or so trips to his office.

• Options

@Zoins

Speaking of largest Ike clips ever….

My favorite hands down is the silver proof Ike with a humongous curved clip:

• Options

I have ANA 2 page xerox list of his ANA donation, his collection of errors. I got it while his errors were on display, a handy hand out.
    I agree half are shenanigans that were thoughtfully mint assisted & half are legit.
    But, concerning his natural legit errors that may have been riddled out of coinage stream, set aside to be destroyed but are instead spirited out, is this OK ?

@Byers said:
    @CaptHenway said:

“ It is true that Dr. Berry gave up on collecting dollar errors and donated his collection to the ANA Museum after becoming disillusioned when he found out that he had been sold many deliberately made errors, but by no means was everything in his collection deliberately made. During my time as Senior Authenticator at ANACS (early 80's) I was asked by the Museum Curator to evaluate the donation piece by piece and identify what I thought was deliberate and what I thought was unintentional. I assume that my notes were somehow incorporated into the accession records. It has been some 40 years, but as I recall over half of it was what I called legitimate.”

In my opinion, Dr Berry’s Ike collection was half intentionally struck and half accidentally struck.

In the 70’s I would drive to Lonesome John’s office in NewBury Park ,CA and then drive to Dr Berry’s office in Alhambra, CA and sell him exotic proof errors.

My favorite was the proof clover of 3 mated Ikes on nickel planchets that I sold him. He told me many times subsequently that it was his favorite as well.

There may have been several reasons why he donated his collection. Tax reasons, name recognition, and disillusion.

But he sure was very excited purchasing proof error coins from me for several years over 10 or so trips to his office.

• Options

@LindyS said:

“But, concerning his natural legit errors that may have been riddled out of coinage stream, set aside to be destroyed but are instead spirited out, is this OK ?”

Good point!!

I guess there are 3 categories:

1. Intentionally produced and ‘removed’
    2. Not intentionally produced but ‘removed’
    3. Not intentionally produced and accidentally released in rolls, bags, ballistic bags, mint sets, proof sets etc…
  • Options

Dr Berry's Handy Handout

• Options
    edited January 19, 2022 1:25PM

Here are the only 3 known bronze Ike Dollars!

The 2 Denver Mint Ike Dollars struck for circulation from Dr. Berry’s Collection…

And my San Francisco Mint Ike Dollar struck by proof dies, which I sold for a record price.

• Options

Thanks for printing the inventory. As I said, a lot of good stuff in there!

• Options
    edited February 5, 2022 12:06PM

1977 Eisenhower Dollar - Clipped Planchet Error
    Grade: PCGS MS64
    Error: 61% Clipped Scrap Planchet
    Cert: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/11885979
    Sale: https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/-/a/1121-6295.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Wow, while looking up some errors on Heritage I found out that this was sold by Heritage in 2009 for $5,462.50!

Now we just need a TrueView :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file