Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I have to be doing something wrong, submittals don't get very high grades

2»

Comments

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    My advice? Fewer conspiracy theories and an improved grading eye.

Really. Blame the submitter seems to be the go to these days.

Maybe it's just more of inaccurate grading, combined with variation and inconsistencies. Undocumented and zero transparency in the grading process, and add no notes provided on the grades given. Individuals submitting the very same card many times, and getting a variety of grades. How does one "get" an improved grading eye under those circumstances.

This must be the conspiracy theories you're speaking of...
    or Maybe it's the well known conflicts of interest. Grading companies owned by or owning the auction companies. Grading companies owned by or owning sport collectibles investment firms. And employees of said companies and members of those boards with collections of considerable value.
    That grading cards based on the cards merit would jeopardize billions of dollars of those investments.

So back to the post topic. Is there a firm we can submit our cards under in hopes to get better grades.
    Is there a company that can review your cards grades. As I'll take that Pepsi challenge and present the same three cards to them.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2022 12:13PM

@chrislynn5

Are you asking for help or venting? Either one is fine but you are simply going through a learning curve right now. And an expensive one at that! There are visible flaws on each of those cards, some of which have already been pointed out.

A card that gets removed from a pack and placed in a holder is not a 10. That is a very common misconception that people have. Studying existing tens, scrutinizing cards under loupes, large magnifying devices and/or high resolution scans is the only professional way to cull down a stack for potential tens.

How much of that did you do and for how long?

Now, could you hire someone to it? Absolutely. Will it eat most of your profits? Probably.

Your post is not uncommon and guys with low post counts who really didn’t know what they were doing when they subbed cards and then cry foul when they don’t get 10’s and blame the grading company are a dime a dozen.

If you’d like advice, ask for it. If you’re looking to vent, just be careful lobbing accusations of corruption against a company on their company website.

Good luck!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2022 11:21AM

The rule of thumb I go by is generally assume your card could grade 1 grade lower than what you think it will. If the potential for that lower grade will result in a monetary loss, you should reconsider submitting depending on your risk tolerance.

If you're lucky, you'll get one of PSA noob graders and your cards will come back 2 grades higher than it should be, like this trainwreck (not my card). I welcome receiving a slightly higher grade than I predict, but this would just bug me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294639495817?hash=item4499e1ea89:g:T04AAOSw8IFh06Tp

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chrislynn5 what makes PSA’s grading “inaccurate” and yours accurate? Especially when PSA graders have received some training and usually have some experience, and you haven’t and don’t. Your point about the cards going straight from packs to holders shows that you’re still learning. Plenty of cards come out of the pack as 7’s.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2022 12:11PM

You may want to focus on subbing cards that grade well like Prizm, Optic, or Mosaic. You are choosing brands that are tough to get a PSA 10, that's why they sell for so much.

Your problem is with Panini and the horrible quality control. not PSA.

Mike
  • Options

this is the focus of my post.

Maybe it's just more of inaccurate grading, combined with variation and inconsistencies. Undocumented and zero transparency in the grading process, and add no notes provided on the grades given. Individuals submitting the very same card many times, and getting a variety of grades. How does one "get" an improved grading eye under those circumstances.

I have over 200+ PSA graded cards, 130+ of those are personal submissions.
    I have over 200 more cards that I wanted to get graded.
    I personally went through and picked cards, three that were 9s or better. As a test. I had submitted a few that I knew had a defect or two, thus lower grades. They received 8's.
    I can't keep resubmitting them to get a better grades as its $100+, so no longer $10 when that was an option.
    I have 60 currently with PSA over a year.
    I pulled 24 that were a year over due from PSA, sent to HGA which they can't get any cards graded either, 30 days = 100+. As a comparison.
    Beckett is $100+ in addition.
    So no good options.
    Was looking for a PSA partner to submit under. As I've had others tell me I'm being robbed of grades.
    Without transparency or grader notes, they can give it any grade they want.
    Its on your honor. In a billion dollar industry. So what do you think.
    It used to mean something to find that diamond in the rough.
    I've heard comments that we cant have another 10 in the market, do you know what that would do to the existing investments. So grade tougher, protect the population.

• Options

Post some pictures of some of the cards you feel they graded lower than expected.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chrislynn5 said:
    this is the focus of my post.

I have over 200+ PSA graded cards, 130+ of those are personal submissions.
    I have over 200 more cards that I wanted to get graded.
    I personally went through and picked cards, three that were 9s or better. As a test. I had submitted a few that I knew had a defect or two, thus lower grades. They received 8's.
    I can't keep resubmitting them to get a better grades as its $100+, so no longer $10 when that was an option.
    I have 60 currently with PSA over a year.
    I pulled 24 that were a year over due from PSA, sent to HGA which they can't get any cards graded either, 30 days = 100+. As a comparison.
    Beckett is $100+ in addition.
    So no good options.
    Was looking for a PSA partner to submit under. As I've had others tell me I'm being robbed of grades.
    Without transparency or grader notes, they can give it any grade they want.
    Its on your honor. In a billion dollar industry. So what do you think.
    It used to mean something to find that diamond in the rough.
    I've heard comments that we cant have another 10 in the market, do you know what that would do to the existing investments. So grade tougher, protect the population.

Well, it was you who posted here and asked people who aren’t your friends or acquaintances to give their opinions on why you aren’t getting high grades, right?

You’ve been given the answer, some more subtly delivered than others, that you need to significantly improve your grading eye.

So far in this space, no one is telling you (unless I missed one) that you got robbed. Instead, they’ve pointed out the actual flaws on the cards that caused them to earn their lower grades, the same one that you have deemed unfair. Also noteworthy, no one is saying ‘resub that’ or invoking the infamous ‘Grader of Death’ as I scroll through the comments, either.

As for the things you’ve heard, in general, if there’s not a name put on it you should take it as utter nonsense. It will serve you well and more people should adopt this strategy, as a general life rule.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@GOBUCKS said:
    Post some pictures of some of the cards you feel they graded lower than expected.

There already in the post; Trevor, Lance, and Wilson. 3 hot QBs for 2021.