Home Sports Talk
Options

Most unique/memorable or otherwise pretty cool places you've been to and things you've accomplished.

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently posted a pic of Polihale Beach State Park on the island of Kauai. Truly a "to die for" beach and experience.
I then thought how many of you have surely been to incredible places as well, exotic, unique or otherwise that really impressed you. Share special things you've done or accomplished.
Pls share.

My list:
Took a 14 day cruise from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand. There aren't enough words to describe how cool that was. Enjoyed a 12 day tour of Italy, which included the Amalfi Coast, a cruise to Capri, Mt Etna, Pompeii and incredible scenery.
Took a 12-day small yacht cruise/tour of Croatia. We visited several small islands and swam in the Adriatic Sea. Stunning stuff!!
Drove the Icefields Parkway in Canada from Banff to Jasper. Jaw dropping scenery for about 150 miles.
I'll eliminate Vietnam.

My accomplishments:
Got an MBA with high honors
Got my Private and Commercial pilot's license.
Survived 36 years in the Federal Government.

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

MCMLVTopps that is one heck of an impressive list! It makes me feel rather small! lol I guess an accomplishment I am proud of is that I have worked 26 years in my current job and hopefully in a few years I will retire pretty comfortably thanks to the chance they took on me at an entry level position in 1996, I am forever grateful for that chance I was given and vowed to never let them down. Also thank you for your service sir.

Robert

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not that well traveled but seeing the Grand Canyon was majestic.

As far as accomplishing anything? I’d have to say working 20 years in a Correctional Facility without getting fired

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notable:

• swam in a shark cage in Maui - incredible experience
    • as a child, I climbed on the stones at Stonehenge

Accomplishments:

• solved a Rubik's Cube in 12.66 seconds
    • won my first football game as a head coach - on a Hail Mary
    • 16 years at my current job
    • married my best friend
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, My favorite experience is when I go to Boulder Colorado to visit my uncle. Boulder is a beautiful place to visit, the scenery is gorgeous with all the mountains and rivers. My uncle actually lives in top of a mountain and when you ride up the mountain, your ears pop from the rise in altitude, it's really weird. I've been rock climbing and white water rafting and skiing in Colorado, but my favorite thing to do is go camping in the isolated mountains, especially at night when it's dark and creepy. You take your tent and food and cooking equipment, propane tanks, and your radio and some beer and just enjoy nature. But at night, out there in the isolated wilderness, it's a different world, ruled by beasts of prey, and you hear all kinds of strange and creepy noises, it's such an adrenaline rush to wonder what might be watching you. You start thinking about what might be out there, bigfoot, bears, mountain lions, it's awesome! One thing I would love to do someday is go to some places that are haunted and spend the night there, that would be the ultimate adrenaline rush.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kessel run in 12 parsecs

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    MCMLVTopps that is one heck of an impressive list! It makes me feel rather small! lol I guess an accomplishment I am proud of is that I have worked 26 years in my current job and hopefully in a few years I will retire pretty comfortably thanks to the chance they took on me at an entry level position in 1996, I am forever grateful for that chance I was given and vowed to never let them down. Also thank you for your service sir.

Robert

We all travelled down whatever path in life took us. I left home at the age of 18 and never looked back, other than to visit. Never feel small compared to others, that you survived 26 years on your current job is indeed impressive. My 36 years of Federal Service included 10 in the Army, some of those years weren't so pleasant. I'm glad you are in a good place job wise and TRUST ME, retirement is a wonderful thing, free as a bird.

As for my service, I actually thanked a cop today for what he does. Told him I was a Vietnam Vet and could easily relate to not being appreciated. When I came home, we were called baby killers, it hurt, but those were weird and tough times then. I don't regret my time there, I'm just thankful to have come home.

Happy retirement, whenever it comes...TRAVEL!!!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I am not that well traveled but seeing the Grand Canyon was majestic.

As far as accomplishing anything? I’d have to say working 20 years in a Correctional Facility without getting fired

The Grand Canyon is indeed awesome when you first see it. Breath taking, really.

As for your job, that you endured 20 years with no doubt some really whacko people without getting hurt, was, for sure a serious accomplishment. I can't imagine you being anything but a model employee. B)B)

• Options

@Tabe said:
    Notable:

• swam in a shark cage in Maui - incredible experience
    • as a child, I climbed on the stones at Stonehenge

Accomplishments:

• solved a Rubik's Cube in 12.66 seconds
    • won my first football game as a head coach - on a Hail Mary
    • 16 years at my current job
    • married my best friend

I could never do the shark thing, kinda aqua phobic under 1 foot.

I gave up on Rubik's cube long ago. That you could do it in that amount of time is incredible!!

Marrying your best friend is pretty awesome. Happy wife, happy life. 44 years for me.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Hmm, My favorite experience is when I go to Boulder Colorado to visit my uncle. Boulder is a beautiful place to visit, the scenery is gorgeous with all the mountains and rivers. My uncle actually lives in top of a mountain and when you ride up the mountain, your ears pop from the rise in altitude, it's really weird. I've been rock climbing and white water rafting and skiing in Colorado, but my favorite thing to do is go camping in the isolated mountains, especially at night when it's dark and creepy. You take your tent and food and cooking equipment, propane tanks, and your radio and some beer and just enjoy nature. But at night, out there in the isolated wilderness, it's a different world, ruled by beasts of prey, and you hear all kinds of strange and creepy noises, it's such an adrenaline rush to wonder what might be watching you. You start thinking about what might be out there, bigfoot, bears, mountain lions, it's awesome! One thing I would love to do someday is go to some places that are haunted and spend the night there, that would be the ultimate adrenaline rush.

Cool!! I've camped a bit, but nothing like that. I'll bet you can see a bajillion stars in that darkness.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually went to my backyard once and saw a funnel cloud forming from a storm coming in off of the lake - I've never left the house since! :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m getting out classed

I’ve been to Austria, Lichtenstein (made it there on purpose), Switzerland, A tad into Germany, Spain, London, Reykjavik Iceland, Japan, Taiwan and China.

I can mention Yellowstone twice and no Grand Canyon (yet?).

The fam went digging for dinosaurs without success… except for the other half who found a large toe bone of some unknown huge dinosaur! The kid and I talk on rare occasions of going back, but for some reason the kid is employed and I am no longer fit to fly. Perhaps one day. It was still fun trying even though I only discovered few hundred million year old shale.(but no shale oil)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Boulder is gorgeous. Such a beautiful area.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've probably told this story before, but in the summer of 1992 I visited Paris France with my grandparents. I was about 13 years old at the time and I remember the flight over there was really long, and we flew over the ocean at night. We were on a big plane with three rows of seats and I slept stretched out on the middle row. Before we left, I remember having to get our money converted to french francs. When we got there we took taxi cabs everywhere we went, we stayed at this little hotel in a busy section of Paris and I remember there was a McDonald's nearby and I ate there everyday. I also remember thete was a guy with a wheelbarrow full of cherries and everyday he would stand in front of our hotel with his cherries and sell bags full of them and I became obsessed with him, I would watch him everyday and one day I decided to buy a bag of cherries from him and they were delicious, I ate so many cherries while I was there that I'm sick of them to this day. While we were in France, we visited the Eiffel tower and went up on it and looked out over the city, the view was gorgeous. We also visited the Louvre museum, and it was huge and I got to stand right in front of Leonardo Da Vinci's famous Mona Lisa painting and I remember it was behind really thick glass. The Louvre was a really amazing place filled with paintings and sculptures from some of the most famous artists in history and it was fascinating to see these priceless works of art up close and in person. While we were in France, we also rode in a double decker bus out to the Versailles palace where all of those King Louis's lived. That place was absolutely gigantic and we toured most of the rooms inside and the gardens with the fountains and also walked through the famous hall of mirrors. I believe Versailles is where the treaty that ended WWI was signed. The french people were really nice buy I couldn't understand a word they were saying the entire time we were there. If we wanted to communicate with them, we had a language translation manual that we used. Paris was a beautiful city, especially at night when the city was lit up with all the lights, and I would love to go back someday.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've managed to survive moderating the CU forums for a few years. Harrowing experience...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

@doubledragon said:

Cool!! I've camped a bit, but nothing like that. I'll bet you can see a bajillion stars in that darkness.

Topps, cool.
    We do basically the same thing in the northern AZ mountains before the snakes come out and after they go in the ground. You get a month spring and fall if weather permits.
    1). Build an all night fire
    2) everyone brings their dog.

One of the guys had to put a bear down years ago. One shot, 10mm coming straight at him. Not pleasant in self defense.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and myself loved to travel. No memorable events but we did visit all 50 States and D.C. Also been to several Canadian Provinces including the Yukon. One experience I have had is Myself and George W. Bush were both honored by an organization in the early 2000s. Since my name was listed above his he refused to come which really irritated the council that honored us. (actually he may have been busy with a few problems to deal with but they were unhappy just the same) B)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw a Hockey game in 3 of the "Original 6" arenas before they closed.
    Boston Garden 1995
    Montreal Forum 1996
    Maple Leaf Gardens 1999

Old Time Hockey!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few of the great places with happy memories:
    Amsterdam, restaurants, walking the canals and bicycling north and west of the city
    Florence, restaurants and bicycling in Tuscany
    Berlin, seeing the historical locations
    Prague, bicycling to an ancient castle on a river
    Cape Town, hiking on the Cape and Table Mtn, going to the Stellenbosch for wine
    Melbourne - no worries mate
    North Pole Australia, seeing the record of oldest life on Earth in the rocks
    Provence, everything, bicycling up Mt. Ventoux
    Paris, well, Paris (especially Musee D'Orsay, L'Orangerie for museums)
    Spain - Costa del Sol, Estapona great food and watching mediterranean life
    Spain - Barcelona and the Priorat wine district. Best city life on Earth, great hiking and wine in Priorat
    Spain/France - the Pyrenees, hiking and culture
    Durham, around 20 different pubs in a week during an interview week there.

Stopping there.

Accomplishments - coming up on 100 scientific publications, placed multiple students into govt., industry, and academic positions.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...