Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

EVP's Time at NYINC 2022 (Wed - Sat)

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 17, 2022 9:02AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

At previous NYINC events, I would try to write a show report. But, there seems always to be someone who complains that my post is more of a blog instead of a show report (as if there is a formal difference?!?). So, my post is whatever it is. A blog, if you like. Or a show report, if that is what you think this is. No matter. Just read and hopefully you'll enjoy this.

I did not get much sleep because I had too much nervous energy. Tired but excited, I made my way into NYC and ultimately the hotel by around 9:45am. Checked in and got a free room upgrade. And, you know what? Our room really is nice. I say 'us' because I am waiting for @Nap to arrive Thursday morning.

I hurriedly registered and made my way to CNG lot viewing. For those reading this still to arrive, NYINC registration is at the lobby level, where the organizers have a table setup near a set of stairs up to the bourse and lot viewing areas.

CNG lot viewing was not busy. Got through the few trays quickly enough, and availed myself of some professional guidance from Victor England.

I then made my way to a nearby Luke's Lobster Shack to eat lunch. From then until the auction finished, I just stayed in my room either resting or monitoring Triton Session IV. As usual, the lots that I like went strong. The pieces from the de Wilde collection were generally of unbelievable quality for the assigned grade. The 1486 Guldiner was amazing as a Near EF piece, and the 1484 Half Guldiner was a "gem" VF. In fact, all those rare early Austrian Guldiners were of superb quality for the grade. The lone exception in that grouping was the relatively common Rudolph II Taler, which had gorgeous eye appeal but not a "Superb EF" as CNG had it. (The coin was just an EF in my eyes, with light scuffs and hairlines underneath the attractive toning. I would have graded it MS63 or so.) The 1486 Guldiner hammered at 22K. While a big boy sum, IMO it is a steal for that coin.

I won a lot in Triton. It is a type that I had been wanting for a long time, but had a very hard time finding a good example. This type is super tough to find in nice grade, with a nice strike, and is free of unsightly blemishes.

IRELAND, The Great Rebellion. Issues of the Lords Justices. 1642-1649. AR Crown (39mm, 29.58 g, 3h). “Ormonde Money” issue. Issued 1643-1644. Large C • R; crown above; all within linear and beaded border / Large V; small S above; all within linear and beaded border . D&F 288; SCBC 6544. Deeply toned. Good VF.

From the J. de Wilde Collection.

I am very happy with this piece. I know it does not look like a trophy piece (and perhaps it is not one), but trust me when I say this: this is VERY tough to find nicer.

With the auction over, I now realize that I am very hungry (and it's only 5pm!). I guess no breakfast and only one lobster roll didn't satisfy enough. I go downstairs to eat at the bar and run into John Agre decided to have a drink with him. Nice chat with a nice guy, but that one drink hit me harder than expected. I eventually ate dinner and went back to my room where I am now trying to finish this so I can go to sleep.

Observations: masks and proof of vaccinations aside, I feel that today has been relatively similar to past NYINC Wednesdays for me. Hopefully tomorrow (Early Bird day) will be normal enough too.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a fantastic Ormonde Crown! And don't let the critics get you down - i look forward to your show reports!

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, I enjoy reading posts/reports/blogs about the experience of others at the show. Thanks also for the tip on where to find the registration table at the new location!

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep up your posts, I always enjoy them.

I wonder how truly rare those guldiners are as a small number seem to come up for auction every year.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments.

@TwoKopeiki, I’m sorry I won’t get to see you. Your concerns over travel logistics is warranted, but I’ll still be disappointed at your absence.

@Iosephus, when do you get in? Hit us up if you want to hang.

@jgenn, the 1486 Guldiner is not rare in total population but are tough as AF in any wholesome condition where it hadn’t been mounted, cleaned, badly bruised, etc. The one in Triton was a treat to view. Wholesome beyond words, and with nice eye appeal.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to write the blog/show report.

Your Ormonde Crown is superb. Congrats!

@EVillageProwler said:

I'll be commuting in via LIRR, and for today expect to be at the hotel around 11:30.

@Iosephus said:

@EVillageProwler said:

I'll be commuting in via LIRR, and for today expect to be at the hotel around 11:30.

PM sent

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your correspondence!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your reports!

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Ormonde coin!

My current "Box of 20"

edited January 17, 2022 9:03AM

Thanks to folks who responded positively about this post or the Ormonde. And for those who ask why I am writing this at 5am... It is because @Nap got me drunk. Well, to be fair, he did not actually get me drunk. Rather, he put into motion the circumstances under which I got drunk. But, more on this later.

Thursday morning rolls around and I am wide awake at 4am. That is because the night before I fell asleep at 9:30pm watching The Tennis Channel showing live WTA matches at Sydney. So, anyway, it is 4am and I think around this time I have an audio chat with @Zohar. I do not precisely recall our conversation, but I am pretty sure it wasn't worth remembering because it was still very early for me. Then at 5am I made arrangements for 7am breakfast with a friend from Italy who was a dealer but now works for NGC. I wanted to pay for him, but he insisted on paying for me. Seeing him, and having a meal with him, is yet another sign of returning normalcy for me/us -- we are quite fond of each other and haven't seen each since NYINC 2020. Each year at NYINC, we'd have a meal together and catch up.

Nap arrived at the hotel around 10am just as I finished SB lot viewing. After he settled in our room, we get him a quick breakfast at a nearby Ess-a-Bagel store that is a stereotypical NYC bagel deli. Back at the room, I fire off my SB notes to another buddy, and soon Noon and the start of the show (Early Bird) commences.

As soon as we get off the elevator, we arrive at the CNG booth. They got a primo location. And guess what? Yup, I buy something from them.

ANGLO-SAXON, Anglo-Viking (Danish Northumbria). Cnut & Siefred (Sigeferth). Circa 900. AR Penny (19mm, 1.15 g, 3h). Class IIId. York mint. C N V T R E + · ·:· · arranged around inverted patriarchal cross with pellets in upper angles / + SI EF RED VS, short cross pattée with pellets in first and fourth quarters. L&S class IIId; SCBI 29 (Merseyside) 367 (same obv. die); BMC 1022; North 502; SCBC 996. Areas of weak strike. Otherwise lightly toned. EF. Very rare.

Ex John N. Cross Collection.

This coin is much nicer in hand than one would expect from the image; it is lustrous and has a pleasing light-medium patina. I have been wanting one of these with Siefred's name on it for a long time and am happy to get a high quality example from someone I actually slightly knew through a Facebook group for British coins. (He passed away maybe last year or in 2020 -- I do not recall because time has been a blur for much of the pandemic-driven lockdown.)

At that time, we also meet up with @Iosephus but given the chaos of the First Day / Early Bird sprint, it quickly became every man for himself as we run around to find nice material. (Iosephus is a medals collector, and I have minimal understanding of the material that he collects.)

I do my thing going to a pre-determined list of dealers. I check out Shanna, who sadly did not make it. (Per her email, she caught COVID earlier in January and was hoping that she'd test negative soon enough to be able to arrive. Maybe I'll see her on Friday. Anyway, I hope she is doing well.) I go see my usual suspects: Joe Linzalone, who doesn't have anything that screams 'buy me' that is within my budget; Sov Rarities (nothing for me in the Anglo-Saxon and Viking areas); Baldwin's (whose inventory arrived mid-afternoon; Neil eventually was able to show me some good British hammered material but nothing screamed 'buy me' either); Atlas; Numismatica Fiorentina (for Italian stuff) and several other dealers for Zohar. I also went to see CRO and Laibstain. John wanted me to stop at his table to say hi to his daughter-in-law who only recently arrived in the USA from China. And, I wanted to see how Harry was doing, since he blew off FUN out of COVID-related issues.

I also said hi to Andy and asked him about his daily happy hour which on Thursday coincided with our dinner plans.

Later we hook up with Iosephus again, and the three of us take a walk into Grand Central to buy some beer, cheese and Iberico ham. (The beer cost us $80 for a six-pack!!! It was great beer, but still beer!!!)

Back at the room, Nap and I drink the expensive beer (Iosephus wasn't interested in any alcohol), and the three of us had sundry and meandering conversations until he left for his train and we went to a nearby seafood restaurant where we had a bottle of Pinot Noir.

Two bottle of that expensive beer (it was strong, like a Belgian tripel) and the wine at dinner made me quite useless later. Iosephus and Nap may argue that I had already become useless in the room from the beer.

Nap went to sleep at around 8:30pm, while I passed out with the lights on shortly thereafter.

Some musings: (1) one of the best rewards from this hobby is the people we meet and the friendships we make; (2) it is hard to find choice material these days, and when we do they're priced shockingly high; (3) the show circuit hasn't returned to normal yet, but hopefully it will by the time the Summer ANA rolls around; (4) drunk or not, I can still enjoy my 2-lb female lobster with all the tasty gooey inside stuff, especially the eggs.

Here's a picture of my dinner (I also had pulpo as a starter, but no picture):

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome writeup and experience B)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

As to the Lobster...I suppose that in the matter of taste, there is no dispute...

You have my sympathy in connection with the 80.00 6 pack.

Terrific coin additions- congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@EVillageProwler - it was great to meet up yesterday with you and @Nap !

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

Fantastic write up of such a cool trip. I particularly liked your Irish penny; terrific eye appeal ! 👍🏿

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great write-up. I love the Ormonde Crown and thought of bidding on it. I own 2 but neither is as nice as yours. And your Phase I looks very nice as well. My only Phase I is the 6103 with peck marks. You got some nice pieces there.

Tom

edited January 17, 2022 9:06AM

Today, Saturday, is my final day at the show. I was not planning on much actual coin-related activity. I just wanted to catch up on some tasty food that I cannot easily get at home. Did some casual browsing on the bourse floor and chatting up some folks. My day was interrupted by a work issue, but I was able to get back to doing coin business.

I eventually made my way to CNG and decided to buy my final coin of the show:

SWEDEN. Olof Skötkonung (the Treasurer). 995–1022. AR Penny (20mm, 1.62 g, 3h). Imitation of Æthelred II Helmet type. Sigtuna mint. Struck after 1003. + EDELERD REX A(NG), helmeted bust left / + ED : PI(NE)’ MΩ Θ LV(ND), voided long cross, with pellet in center and triple crescent ends, over square with trefoil at each point; annulet in third quarter. SMH 519 (same dies); Malmer chain 5-L, dies 4.301/4.811; Malmer, Sigtuna chain 24, 311.801; Viking Collection (Spink 150, 14 March 2001), lot 1165 (same dies, cover coin). Richly toned, small peck on obverse. Near EF. Very rare. An excellent example. The work of a highly skilled engraver who Malmer dubbed ‘the Helmet-master’.

Ex Lawrence R. Stack (Sotheby’s, 22 April 1999), lot 808; P. Carlyon-Britton (Sotheby, Wilkinson, Hodge, 17 November 1913), lot 522 (part of, illustrated pl. XIV).

Also known as Olof Eiríksson, Olof Skötkonung (the Treasurer) was the first Christian King of Sweden. The epithet Skötkonung refers to Olof’s role as a treasure king: taxes, a tributary relationship, the minting of coins, or an ancient land ownership ceremony have all been suggested as possible explanations. In 1008, Olof Skötkonung was baptised a Christian by St. Sigfrid at Husaby. Olof’s death in the winter of 1021/2 was, according to legend, the result of his refusal to sacrifice to the pagan gods. He was later canonized as St. Olof of Sweden.

Afterwards, we made our way to dinner, joined by @Nap's wife, @superpsychmd and another couple. We walked to K-Town and had Korean BBQ where we ate adequately satisfyingly to round out the show.

And now I will pack a bit and go to bed so I can have an early departure.

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2022 12:23PM

Nice write up, I almost feel like I was there too!

I don’t want to put together a write up that details the same experiences, so instead I’ll piggyback yours and just add my newps. I will say that you can buy coins anytime, but the social part of the trip is what makes the show a memorable experience.

Here are my two Hiberno-Norse pennies. The first is from the time of Sihtric III Olafson, also known as Silkbeard, and the second was a few decades later. Sihtric was the son of a Viking warlord/king Olaf (also called Anlaf or Amlaib), who ruled in both Dublin, Ireland and York, England. Olaf was expelled from England, and his son only ruled in Ireland. Sihtric is a main antagonist in the legends about the Irish high king Brian Boru. Sihtric and Brian fought at Clontarf in 1014 and Sihtric lost, but Brian was killed in the battle.

Hiberno-Norse coins are divided into phases, with a chronology that extends from the late 900s until about 1150. They are all imitative of contemporary English coins, starting with the coins of Aethelred II "the Unready". Phase I coins were in the time of Sihtric and are generally of good style with legible legend, noting "Sihtric Rex" or Sihtric Cunung". These date from around 995 until about the time of Clontarf in 1014. Following Sihtric's loss in battle, the style of coinage changes slightly in phase II, and the legends degenerate, though the coins overall remains similar to phase I. After Sihtric's forced abdication in 1136, the coin legends deteriorate into nonsense and abstract "hands" are seen on the reverse in phase III. The subsequent phases (IV-VII) are crude and varied in style, with nonsensical legends and not of any clear royal authority. The very last Hiberno-Norse coins are bracteates.

Phase I Hiberno-Norse penny of Sihtric "Silkbeard", moneyer Faeremin of Dublin

Phase III Hiberno-Norse penny

Very nice addendum @Nap. Hope you enjoy your newps, especially the P3. Have a safe and uneventful trip home!

edited January 17, 2022 4:10PM

Thanks to all who read and responded.

@coinkat said:
    As to the Lobster...I suppose that in the matter of taste, there is no dispute...

The lobster eggs and the gooey stuff is high in cholesterol but extremely tasty -- but of course it is an acquired taste.

@Iosephus said:
    @EVillageProwler - it was great to meet up yesterday with you and @Nap !

If we (or, I) didn't scare you off, we can meet up again at the next major show.

@TPRC said:
    Great write-up. I love the Ormonde Crown and thought of bidding on it. I own 2 but neither is as nice as yours. And your Phase I looks very nice as well. My only Phase I is the 6103 with peck marks. You got some nice pieces there.

Thanks. I am glad that you did not bid me up on the Ormonde. Here is my S-6103, from CNG last year:

BTW, I updated the images in the prior posts with better (hopefully!) ones.

Nicely done! But now I'm hungry. Sadly my last lipid panel dictates I now have to take eating in a healthy fashion seriously. Not sure that lobster dish would work :'(

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2022 11:47PM

An acquired taste Cathy, he made it perfectly clear: like Djokovic. A lot of people hate him at first but you gotta bow to greatness. 😉

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

if he doesn't mind would you please name the dealer from Italy who now works for NGC?

@Stork said:
    Nicely done! But now I'm hungry. Sadly my last lipid panel dictates I now have to take eating in a healthy fashion seriously. Not sure that lobster dish would work :'(

The lobster industry swears that lobsters are healthy. o:)

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:

@Stork said:

They are. It's been scientifically proven that dietary cholesterol is unrelated to blood cholesterol. Much of the medical establishment is way behind on that. Feel free to eat as many lobsters with butter and cream sauce as you want! Sugar on the other hand, will kill you.

Sorry for the digression....

@pruebas said:

@EVillageProwler said:

@Stork said:

They are. It's been scientifically proven that dietary cholesterol is unrelated to blood cholesterol. Much of the medical establishment is way behind on that. Feel free to eat as many lobsters with butter and cream sauce as you want! Sugar on the other hand, will kill you.

Sorry for the digression....

Not so much the dietary cholesterol as it is what gets squeezed out with all the yummy stuff. Mostly trying for more fiber, no sugar, and yes a bit less saturated fat. Losing a few pounds and working out more. And adding a sidebar of blood pressure that means lower sodium. I mean what's lobster without a pound of salted butter?

@Stork,

If you adopt a dog, then you can get some exercise that way. Also, you can eat lobster by dipping the meat into an Asian style ginger vinaigrette. Or, melted butter with crushed garlic.

@EVillageProwler I've been working the dog angle. Hubs is being recalcitrant. Our current dog is a diva and he is concerned her feelings might be hurt. I am the third wheel in this human-dog-human relationship. There are no illusions about who would be carried out in case of fire. I am expected to save myself :smiley:

And now I really want lobster. And yes, the dog has gotten leftover lobster as a treat. She is beyond spoiled.

@Stork,

I think my wife feels the same regarding our Jimmy, so she got Rocky (a Maine Coon).

As for the lobster, you can be my date next year and @Nap can be the third wheel.

:)

EVP