Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pokemon Cards

I have a bunch of pokemon cards that were my sons when he was young. Yes I know most are not worth squat.
I have about 20+ holographic cards including 3 charizard cards. I want to get them graded if it's worth it.
I read that PSA isn't accepting memberships at this time and graded cards valued over $1500 cost $100 each, ouch.
Anyway I was looking for someone that has knowledge about current prices. I see they're all over the place.
I'll make a list and post some pics ASAP.

Thanks

Love the 1885-CC Morgan

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2022 1:13PM

Post pics and will tell you what you've got.. Unless it is really good stuff, you will probably want to grade with CGC, since they resell for good percentage of PSA prices and are much cheaper to grade with.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good place to start….

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

OK here's 5 of them. 3 are first editions, mechamp, charizard and dark charizard then 2 charizards from '99 and 2000 I think.
    I post more when i get time but the other holo cards are not marked first edition.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are great. The 1st edition shadowless char Izard is worth sending to PSA at $100. The others will depend on if there is zero white showing on the back borders or not. Machamp is very common and probably not worth grading. Nice cards.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

@Bosox1976 said:
    Those are great. The 1st edition shadowless char Izard is worth sending to PSA at $100. The others will depend on if there is zero white showing on the back borders or not. Machamp is very common and probably not worth grading. Nice cards.

What's a shadowless card?
    What's the value of the charizard if it grades a 9? I suppose a 10 is highly unlikely because the front borders are slightly off side to side.
    Is the dark charizard worth anything?
    Thanks

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

@ccmorgan said:

@Bosox1976 said:

What's the value of the charizard if it grades a 9? I suppose a 10 is highly unlikely because the front borders are slightly off side to side.
    Thanks

No black shadow on the RIGHT side of the hologram box.
    A PSA 9 on a 1st edtion shadowless is only worth $25,000 -$35,000..... A PSA 8 is only $10k! Show us the backs

Since a PSA 1 is worth $2500, you'll wan't/need to submit this card at $150, but I'd probably go $300 since I'd imagine it's a 5 or higher if the back isn't crap and there isn't a crease we can't see....

The Dark Charizard and the 2 other charizards are worth something, but because they need to grade 9 or 10 for real value, they would only be worth submitting at $50 each when that comes available. The Machamp is not gradable except for $20.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@ccmorgan said:

@Bosox1976 said:

Thanks

No black shadow on the RIGHT side of the hologram box.
    A PSA 9 on a 1st edtion shadowless is only worth $25,000 -$35,000..... A PSA 8 is only $10k! Show us the backs

Since a PSA 1 is worth $2500, you'll wan't/need to submit this card at $150, but I'd probably go $300 since I'd imagine it's a 5 or higher if the back isn't crap and there isn't a crease we can't see....

The Dark Charizard and the 2 other charizards are worth something, but because they need to grade 9 or 10 for real value, they would only be worth submitting at $50 each when that comes available. The Machamp is not gradable except for $20.

The backs are perfect. I'll get some pics tonight.
    These cards were put in protective sleeves back in '99-'00 and have been there ever since.
    I have 20ish regular holo cards in the same condition. Clefairy, clansey alakazam,raichu,gyarados and more.
    What is the difference between the grading prices of 100,150 & 300?
    Thanks

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

@ccmorgan I wrote a beginners guide thread here a few months back… at your early stage of Pokemon collecting, it might be helpful for you to read through. I will post on it so it comes to the front of these threads. My up front opinion is you have great stuff and should proceed with grading in some fashion that makes sense to you.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    @ccmorgan I wrote a beginners guide thread here a few months back… at your early stage of Pokemon collecting, it might be helpful for you to read through. I will post on it so it comes to the front of these threads. My up front opinion is you have great stuff and should proceed with grading in some fashion that makes sense to you.

I read through some of it and I joined PSSA and read through some of their articles I now can see the shadow. Before I was looking in the pic next to the character and not outside the "box" so to speak.
    I bought these cards long ago when my son was young and they were what all kids wanted. Bought them for christmas his birthday and my father bought him some too. I remember when he opened a pack at my fathers house to find one of the charizards(non first edition)he worshipped that card like a pot of gold.

Anyway he's grown and long gone and I'm recalling a lot of this info as I'm reading it.
    Didn't know there were 4 different sets.

My two non 1st charizards above have different dates on the bottom right half of the card.
    I'll check them again tonight and post the dates. Too difficult to read from the pics.
    I spent a lot of $$$ on those packs years ago but it made the day for me and my son and his friends.
    Somehow the cards are still around after 20+ years.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ccmorgan said:

@threeofsix said:

I read through some of it and I joined PSSA and read through some of their articles I now can see the shadow. Before I was looking in the pic next to the character and not outside the "box" so to speak.
    I bought these cards long ago when my son was young and they were what all kids wanted. Bought them for christmas his birthday and my father bought him some too. I remember when he opened a pack at my fathers house to find one of the charizards(non first edition)he worshipped that card like a pot of gold.

Anyway he's grown and long gone and I'm recalling a lot of this info as I'm reading it.
    Didn't know there were 4 different sets.

My two non 1st charizards above have different dates on the bottom right half of the card.
    I'll check them again tonight and post the dates. Too difficult to read from the pics.
    I spent a lot of $$$ on those packs years ago but it made the day for me and my son and his friends.
    Somehow the cards are still around after 20+ years.

Tremendous story and looks like a good financial windfall for your family!

Enjoy it!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Glad the backstory helped. It takes a while to understand all the differences between all the sets. I only touched on the first few releases but many of the different releases of cards have value.

The card everyone that collects Pokemon wishes they had (in any condition) is a first edition Charizard! And it looks like you have one. It is one of the more valuable cards to own. The better the condition the better the value. Yay! But don’t overlook the other 1st edition cards or variation cards as well. By posting pics, the folks here can help you determine what you have. Ultimately the grading companies will determine what they are worth. Good luck, and enjoy figuring it all out!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

I would loop you kid on on the process (unless "long gone" means something very sad). Could be a chance to bond over these again. Those are some nice cards and it appears they were treasured.

• Options

FYI - it appears as though one of the non 1st edition Charizard cards is from the original 1999 base set, and one is from the 2000 base set 2 (reprint set). This is indicated by the set indicator shown below and to the right of the foil picture.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    FYI - it appears as though one of the non 1st edition Charizard cards is from the original 1999 base set, and one is from the 2000 base set 2 (reprint set). This is indicated by the set indicator shown below and to the right of the foil picture.

OK the one has like a check mark and the other doesn't. I think you're right one IIRC is dated 99 and the other 2000.
    Is one of those more desirable than the other? I suppose not much.
    At work till later lots to check tonight.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

None of these cards look shadowless to me. I researched this stuff 15 years ago. I don't believe there are any shadowless cards that are marked 1st edition. Shadowless were short print unlimited cards that were missing a holo layer. All of this stuff seems to have lots of detail in the hologram.

• Options
    edited January 12, 2022 11:17AM

@threeofsix said:

Found these two searching. Looks like a 1999 and set II from 2000
    Neither one worth much in grade 8.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1141477399/charizard-4102-unlimited-psa-8?click_key=0f39233fae1e0c49921d9c9ab7409ab7b6520e79:1141477399&click_sum=af962a38&rec_type=cs&ref=pla_similar_listing_top-2&cns=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/892344553/charizard-base-set-2-psa-8-nm?click_key=a2c0275c524356378e88bfbd0ebc4024a285c472:892344553&click_sum=d05ce674&ref=internal_similar_listing_bot-3&frs=1

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2022 12:20PM

@CardGeek said:
    None of these cards look shadowless to me. I researched this stuff 15 years ago. I don't believe there are any shadowless cards that are marked 1st edition. Shadowless were short print unlimited cards that were missing a holo layer. All of this stuff seems to have lots of detail in the hologram.

@CardGeek The term shadowless is applied to unlimited cards to differentiate them as being shadowless or non-shadowless. So that is correct thinking.

But in the original 1999 base set all of the 1st Edition cards were printed as shadowless. So it is okay to refer to them as such. (Just don’t do it when looking them up in the price guide, because they are all just considered 1st editions).

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@ccmorgan Also, be cautious when referring to the dates at the bottom of the card. Unlike sports cards, it does not refer to the date of issue. It refers to the copyright dates for where the set was produced. So even cards that were issued in 2000 show 1995 dates at the bottom. Once you know which set it is by the set indicator, you’ll know when it was first issued by the set name. Then by knowing how many cards in that set you can match it to the numbering at the bottom to verify it is the correct card from the correct set.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2022 1:42PM

@threeofsix said:
    @ccmorgan Also, be cautious when referring to the dates at the bottom of the card. Unlike sports cards, it does not refer to the date of issue. It refers to the copyright dates for where the set was produced. So even cards that were issued in 2000 show 1995 dates at the bottom. Once you know which set it is by the set indicator, you’ll know when it was first issued by the set name. Then by knowing how many cards in that set you can match it to the numbering at the bottom to verify it is the correct card from the correct set.

Yes I'm aware of that. I was just stating the different dates on the card because they look very similar and that was the only difference I noticed till you pointed out the set II mark on the lower right.
    I'll post pics of the lower right of the charizards tonight just for reference.
    Looks like we figured out the difference today or at least I did thanks to you.
    Either way it doesn't look like there's much value in the other cards besides the 1st ed charizard.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

OK here's more eye candy. When I flipped over the set2 charizard to take pics of the reverse there was this Blaines charizard.
    Don't remember that one at all. Another nice find I hope?

Here's the obverse of the lower right non 1st edition charizards with the dates and card numbers.
    Then the reverse pics

Now the reverse of the 1st edition charizard

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

Here's the dark charizard 1st edition but it looks like it has scratches on the holo. Guess it's not worth grading now?

Here's the regular holo's and a couple jap holos?

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

I'm going to say that the 1st Edition Charizard is going to top out at a PSA 7 because of edge issues, especially at the top. Need to see that card naked to give a better assessment.

All your other cards are candidates for CGC at $15-$25 a pop.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

I was gonna say 7 max too. Certainly not an 8.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2022 11:47PM

I’m sure you know this but for the record here, the holofoil Blaine’s Charizard is from the 2000 Pokemon Gym Challenge set.

Most of the cards you pictured above are not 1st Edition cards, so the values drop off dramatically from that fact alone. And none of these unlimited base set cards appear to be shadowless, so there is no additional premium there.

Good luck proceeding with any of the gradings as you see fit. Be sure to share the grading results with us when you get them.

And thanks for sharing.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

Now I guess I need to decide which cards are worth grading?
    To me the two non 1st charizards and the 1st ed charizard.
    I agree guys when I looked at the reverse of the 1st ed charizard I was disappointed with the edges.
    What would the value of a 6-7 be? and a 8 on the other two?
    Does anyone think any of the other cards are worth submission?
    Is the gym blains worth a hill of beans?
    Thanks guys.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2022 11:47AM

The Blaine's Charizard is equal to the other non 1st charizards... Def grade worthy at CGC. Most of your other cards are only good for grading if they will get 8-9.5's at CGC. But at $15 a pop for 50+ cards, figure a 7 you will still make your money back.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/?view=trading-cards#

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    The Blaine's Charizard is equal to the other non 1st charizards... Def grade worthy at CGC. Most of your other cards are only good for grading if they will get 8-9.5's at CGC. But at $15 a pop for 50+ cards, figure a 7 you will still make your money back.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/?view=trading-cards#

Is the blains really worth $500 in 8 or 9?

If I can sell them. I've learned over the years when people say "oh just sell it" MUCH easier said than done.
    I think I saw the regular charizards grade 8 posted links above listed for $600-$1000ish but it looks like they're not selling?
    I'd hate to dump a $1000 into grading cards then for it to take 2 years to sell them. One must keep in mind the cost of selling also.
    What are the non 1st holo cards worth in 8-9 $25 a pop?

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

First off, ETSY is not used for any type of card value research ....EVER! You should be looking here or on eBay..
    https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices

Blaine's Charizard non-1st is worh $500 in a 9, $250 in an 8. Similar prices for the Blastoise and Venusaur

The other cards are all in the $40-100 range in 9's, 30-50 range in 8's and pretty much all in the 20's for a 7.

Everything will sell when the starting auction price is 99 cents!

• Options

Don't want to start a new thread but I was looking at the online submission.
    The closest one for the 1st charizard is pokemon merlin 180 charizard. I entered 1999 pokemon and that's what came up.
    I plan on submitting the 3 charizards the 1st for the $300 and the other two @ $100.
    Can I submit all three or do I need to fill out three separate orders?
    Is there a form at the end to print and mail with the cards?
    I've never submitted before?
    Thanks

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The good news is that these cards will be truly vintage by the time you get them back from grading

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@ccmorgan said:
    Don't want to start a new thread but I was looking at the online submission.
    The closest one for the 1st charizard is pokemon merlin 180 charizard. I entered 1999 pokemon and that's what came up.
    I plan on submitting the 3 charizards the 1st for the $300 and the other two @ $100.
    Can I submit all three or do I need to fill out three separate orders?
    Is there a form at the end to print and mail with the cards?
    I've never submitted before?
    Thanks

The PSA submission center has some helpful videos that explain the procedures for submission. You should take the time to watch them, because the process is very specific from PSA’s perspective. This is to help ensure that your package arrives safely and is tracked properly. (I know I wouldn’t want my order lost for a few days because I mislabeled something important).

As for the items themselves, I think you would have 2 orders…determined by service level. One order for the $500 level (1card) and one order for the $300 level (2cards). This means you will send them 2 orders in one shipping box. When you go to print the 1st form to include in the shipping package you will indicate to PSA that you have another order included (because it asks you how many orders are you shipping?)

Lastly (VERY IMPORTANT) only select the name of the card that matches the card you know you that are sending!

Typye as much of the name of the card as you know in the search box until you see it come up.

You seem to be confused as to whether or not you have a Charizard 180 card??? In all of the discussions above I did not recall seeing such an item mentioned. I don’t know off the top of my head what card that is but it doesn’t sound like yours.

PSA will be very confused if you included different cards than what you say you have in the card description.

My guess is if you type 1999 Pokemon Base Charizard 4 you will see your card come up in the search engine…but it may come up with 200 other Charizard cards as well. Only 1 will match your card exactly. That is the one you need to select. For the first order you would select the 1st edition version. For the second order you would select the one that doesn’t say 1st edition. These non 1st editions are not shadowless so you cannot choose the shadowless card description. If you do select it by mistake, just backspace it out and type it again. The search engine will keep working until you are sure you selected it right.

Good luck.

PS if you still can’t figure it out, just call PSA customer service and they can walk a first timer through it. Step by step.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

Pokemon 180 came up with my first search but I wasn't sure what they call it.
    Anyway I just tried again and came up with this (1999 Pokemon Game 4 Charizard-Holo 1st Edition)
    I think there's only one 1st edition that I know of.
    If my card is a 7 and I send it in with the $300 submission do you know if that will create a problem?
    $600 is the next level, ouch...

Services are as follows

Service Level Max Declared Value Per Item Pricing
    Regular $1,499 $100.00
    Express $2,499 $150.00
    Super Express $4,999 $300.00
    Walk-Through $9,999 $600.00
    Premium 1 $24,999 $1,000.00
    Premium 2 $49,999 $2,000.00
    Premium 3 $99,999 $3,000.00
    Premium 5 $249,999 $5,000.00
    Premium 10 n/a $10,000.00

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2022 9:57AM

If you submit at a lower service level, PSA will up charge you to the correct level if it earns a higher grade than what you submitted for. So you can submit a level you are comfortable with….and be happy if they call and tell you that you owe them more because it did better.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    If you submit at a lower service level, PSA will up charge you to the correct level if it earns a higher grade than what you submitted for. So you can submit a level you are comfortable with….and be happy if they call and tell you that you owe them more because it did better.

OK that sounds good.
    I think I have this figured out from looking at their price guide.
    There's a 1999 pokemon game card set which my 1st charizard is from but I don't see the 1st ed dark charizard.
    Then there's the 1999 pokemon game unlimited card set which my regular charizard is from.
    Then there's the 2000 pokemon base II which my charizard 2 is from.

Values are as follows
    1st Edition 7=$10,000, 8=$15,000, 9=$25,000, 10=$290,000
    Charizard unlimited 8=$600, 9=$1,200, 10=$12,000
    Charizard base II 8=$300, 9=$700, 10=$6,000

You guys have been a lot of help especially you @threeofsix.
    I've been trying to find some info on these cards for a few months now with no success until now.
    I've been here in the coin forums on and off for a long time now started collecting coins too when I was young, and I'm glad I saw this forum about trading cards.
    I also have stamp collections that I started when I was a kind and my father continued after I grew up. Now the only place to visit him is sadly the cemetery. Now I'm using them for postage because they're not worth squat. Ugh...

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

I get it!! It’s not easy the first time thru… if I were doing coins I would have no idea what I was talking about.

The other 1st Edition card you have (assuming that it is #4) is a 2000 Pokemon Rocket Dark Charizard 4 holofoil 1st Edition. Again you should be able to find it on the list once you type it in. (Be careful when you choose it because #4 is the holofoil card from that set and #21 is a non-foil version of the same card in that same set.)

For Dark Charizard the values are 8=$350, 9=$800, 10=$4,200.

I think you are getting close.

Good luck.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ccmorgan It might be useful to post pictures.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

I believe all the pics are posted above.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@daltex said:

I believe all the pics are posted above.

Oops. Never mind. Thank you.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2022 9:58AM

@threeofsix said:
    I get it!! It’s not easy the first time thru… if I were doing coins I would have no idea what I was talking about.

The other 1st Edition card you have (assuming that it is #4) is a 2000 Pokemon Rocket Dark Charizard 4 holofoil 1st Edition. Again you should be able to find it on the list once you type it in. (Be careful when you choose it because #4 is the holofoil card from that set and #21 is a non-foil version of the same card in that same set.)

For Dark Charizard the values are 8=$350, 9=$800, 10=$4,200.

I think you are getting close.

Good luck.

It's a #4 of 82? But it has a R to the lower right of the hologram.
    See sideways pic above.
    Just found it in the rocket set.
    https://www.psacard.com/priceguide/non-sports-tcg-card-values/2000-poke-mon-team-rocket/2657

Found the Blains charizard here. But no 1st ed stamp? I checked the gym hero's but it's not listed there?
    https://www.psacard.com/priceguide/non-sports-tcg-card-values/2000-poke-mon-gym-challenge/2763

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

2000 gym challenge not gym hero’s.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2022 2:43PM

@threeofsix said:

But there's no 1st ed stamp?
    Just trying to find out which cards are worth grading according to PSA price list.
    I also have two Blastoise holo and one venusaur from the unlimited cards shown in pics above.
    Those two are listed as at premium prices.
    One of the blastoise looks to be a 8-9 and the venusaur looks to be a 8-9/
    My 2nd blastiose might be a 7 due to slight edge wear.

I'll post pics of them tomorrow.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

@ccmorgan said:

@threeofsix said:

But there's no 1st ed stamp?
    Just trying to find out which cards are worth grading according to PSA price list.
    I also have two Blastoise holo and one venusaur from the unlimited cards shown in pics above.
    Those two are listed as at premium prices.
    One of the blastoise looks to be a 8-9 and the venusaur looks to be a 8-9/
    My 2nd blastiose might be a 7 due to slight edge wear.

I'll post pics of them tomorrow.

Correct…..the Blaine’s Charizard is not a 1st Edition so you would select the not 1st Edition version from the selection list.

Beyond that, the unlimited versions of the cards are not going to be worth grading at the current prices unless they grade 10’s (unlikely). So stick with the ones we discussed and once you see how those do, you can then use that submission experience to decide how to proceed with any of the other lesser grade unlimited cards.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2022 6:12AM

I can't find the blain's non 1st on their price list. It's not in the 2000 gym hero's list or the 2000 gym challenge list?
    Curious to the value to help me decide if it's worth grading.
    https://www.psacard.com/priceguide/non-sports-tcg-card-values/7

Love the 1885-CC Morgan