Home U.S. Coin Forum

Countermarked 180(?) Spanish 2 Real

Hi all!

This 180(?) Spanish 2 Real was dug at a large colonial site in the Western Mass area recently.
The countermark is from J. Warren. The "N" is almost missing from this stamp as I'm guessing it was meant for larger American silvers.
I'm having no luck on my own finding a Warren family in the area that aligns with this piece of history. But, I have found a reference to a Gregory Brunk book that lists J.Warren, and a J.B Warren reference to Ithaca NY possibly. Which isn't too far away to have wound up here.

Does anyone have copies of these books? I think his 2'nd book is what I need, and the resale price is impressive. I know some of the listings in the book only include coins and dates. I can't justify buying his books on a gamble. I would love to figure out where this coin was marked, and how it wound up under my coil.

Comments

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might want to edit your title and add J. Warren someone here will know the name and have info for you.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!
    Sorry I can't help as I don't have the books either but love c/m coins and probably should have them by now..🤔

With any luck one or more of the members who are knowledgeable in this area will open this thread and enlighten us!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NortheastDigger.... Welcome aboard... Some other experts should be along shortly. There are countermark collectors here that can likely help. Cheers, RickO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few copies available on ebay of The Merchant Countermarks On World Coins 1989 Hardcover By Gregory Brunk in the $39.99 range, which I would think very fair. As your coin is a world coin, I would think this book would suffice, rather than the $150 to $500 copies of the others.
    Jim

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=MERCHANT+COUNTERMARKS+on+WORLD+COINS&_sacat=0

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2022 8:08AM

Nice find.

The punch was most likely meant for other objects that this J. WARREN produced, and he was either testing his stamp or looking for a little free advertising.

BTW.. I have noticed that counterstamped coins are insanely hot on Ebay right now. I'd you are looking to sell I'd suggest attributing it and getting it listed.

And by the way, if you are going to lost it as a "countermark" make sure to use the term "counterstamp" in your listing as well, as that is the term many collectors use in their searches.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file