Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Where are my other African coin collectors out there?

Hey there! I know I am pretty new to the PCGS forums, but I am certainly not new to the Set Registry lol! Is anyone else from the African Section of the Set Registry on here?
Hoping to meet some new people!

Comments

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an African coin collector here but I'll post this just to say Welcome.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Still_In_Circ Welcome to the party. Stick around and show us something. How bout an error or three? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I do like a few - Dahomey, Biafra, Seychelles (does that count)?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

And I have a soft spot for Egypt, but I’m guessing that it isn’t what you’re looking for.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long ago I had a very presentable collection of Ethiopian and Eritrean coins. At the time, the 1970's, I knew of only a few other people who collected them. I wonder if there are more today?

I only have a few Ethiopian pieces left. The most interesting of these is the 1944 25 cent coin with the original scalloped reeding that was added to the round versions shortly after their issue. The reeding, which was added in Ethiopia, is much different from that applied to later versions of the coins and is easily identifiable. The piece I have is well worn but it is also the only example I have seen.

There are plenty of interesting issues from Africa. Good luck in your collecting of them!

All glory is fleeting.
  • @7Jaguars said:
    Well, I do like a few - Dahomey, Biafra, Seychelles (does that count)?

All those count! Great choices to!

• Egypt is in there to

• I mainly do South Africa, the Rhodesia's, Seychelles, British West Africa and Nigeria and The Gambia.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1913 matching set of British Africa minors all PCGS 65 …really nice 😄

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

My preference is pre-20th century silver crowns so here the few I've collected from Africa.

Empire of Ethiopia birr EE 1889 (1897)-A of Menelik II, Minted in Paris, mintage of 418,000.

Kingdom of Morocco 10 dirham in 1882 (AH 1299), Minted in Paris, mintage of 870,000.

Sierra Leone Company dollar, the first silver crowns minted by Matthew Bolton at his Soho Mint, mintage of 6560.

Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (South African Republic) 5 shillings, mintage of 14,000 for the single shaft (corrected) version.

Sultanate of Zanzibar, Barghash ibn Sa'id Riyal, dated AH 1299 (1881/2). Minted in Brussels, mintage of 60,000.

• 1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an awesome ESSAI, design Pierette Lambert, engraver Robet Cochet:

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Man, all of y'all have such nice stuff. My focus is South Africa, especially gold. Stuff like this:

• Lovely half pound

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are looking for Dr Livingstone.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 1:59PM

Egypt AH1277/4 4 para

Egypt Fuad 1935 1 mil PCGS SP 65RB KN mint collection

Tunisia AH1281 1 kharoub PCGS SP 65 RD

Egypt Farouk 1938 1 mil PCGS MS64RD

Egypt 100 qirsh gold AH1293/12 rare and popular one year « floral » type NGC MS64

German East Africa 1890 1 heller PCGS MS65RD

Egypt AH1293/15 10 qirsh PCGS MS64 superb.

Tunisia 1904-A10 centimes PCGS MS64 RD, a coin at Latin Union standards.

British West Africa 1937 1/2D PCGS SP66 KN mint collection

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • MaxfliMaxfli Posts: 39 ✭✭

Southern Rhodesia, PCGS AU-58.

Rhodesia and Nyasaland, PCGS MS-64.

Gotta love the dancing elephants!

East Africa, NGC MS-65+.

British West Africa, NGC-AU55. Apologies for the poor photo.

• TouchOfGreyTouchOfGrey Posts: 12
    edited January 29, 2022 10:07AM

@Maxfli I'm with you on the dancing elephants, I have always been a fan of that design.

I recently picked these up from Drake Sterling Numismatics. They are South African gold blanks, supposed to be minted into ponds (same specs as the british sovereign), but never completed due to the invasion of Pretoria by British forces during the Second Boer War. May have been used as specie or traded for sovereigns by the South African government while fleeing.