Home Metal Detecting
Options

Countermarked Spanish Silver mystery merchant

Hi all! First Post.

This 180(?) Spanish 2 Real was dug at a large colonial site in the Western Mass area recently.
The countermark is from J. Warren. The "N" is almost missing from this stamp as I'm guessing it was meant for larger American silvers.
I'm having no luck on my own finding a Warren family in the area that aligns with this piece of history. But, I have found a reference to a Gregory Brunk book that lists J.Warren, and a J.B Warren reference to Ithaca NY possibly. Which isn't too far away to have wound up here.

Does anyone have copies of these books? I think his 2'nd book is what I need, and the resale price is impressive. I know some of the listings in the book only include coins and dates. I can't justify buying his books on a gamble. I would love to figure out where this coin was marked, and how it wound up under my coil.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NortheastDigger.... Welcome aboard. Nice find. I cannot help with your quest, but there are members here who may have information. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @NortheastDigger.... Welcome aboard. Nice find. I cannot help with your quest, but there are members here who may have information. Cheers, RickO

Thanks ricko. I've posted this coin on multiple sources so far and hoping I can find a direction.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

If you don't get any replies here post it on the main coin forum. ;)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find. Be patient as some of our learned members are traveling. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall