Home Precious Metals
Options

Generic silver rounds and bars - Why don't the mints place their names on them?

tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few 'generic' rounds and bars that are somewhat attractive designs... but why don't the mints place their name on them?? some are actually manufactured by some fairly known mints/entities; and I would certainly have more interest in them if the name was on it. Is there some legal reason for it? Just curious, since bars/rounds with no info on it can certainly be more difficult to sell, or at least bring a discounted price.

----- kj

Comments

• Options
    doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

I'm guess for silver bars at least the reason might be because the silver will be used for industrial purposes, espically large silver bars. Their just gonna be melted down so theirs no point in listing any other info aside from weight and purity.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 12:21PM

I stamped my "Joey" on it. :blush:

And keep them weighing and testing proper.

But

I'm not commercially smelting or minting. Yet, I understand what you mean. I have several half ounce bars that pass the sigma test but do not stamp the weight... but they have their name. Makes them harder to move.

• Options
    edited January 6, 2022 1:03PM

TwoSides2aCoin, somebody will find that chunk of silver 100 years from now and wonder.. what in the world?!! It'll probably be a rarity!

Sure seems that it would take very little additional effort to place info like " XYZ company - minted by **** Metals Co." even if in very small font so design is not impacted if that is a concern. And of course include the purity and weight. Sure would make some of those buffalo, Indian, liberty designs etc. much more desirable, as more info would translate to more confidence... thus more desirable and easier to sell. Seems every one would gain from it.

And of course I am not referring to the type of private silver such as TwoSides2aCoin smelted, but rather the common commercial designs out there.

----- kj
  • Options

doubleeagle07 the industrial aspect can certainly be a factor. But still seems like it would still be advantageous to add that little bit of info!

----- kj
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 1:14PM

If you're proud of your bar you would think you'd put your name on it. :)

Someone's gonna find 2sides nugget in a stream someplace and spend some time wondering where the source is coming from.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Putting that information on art rounds would mess up the art - IMO.... Probably could put it around the edge (third side). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2022 8:47AM

@ricko said:
    Putting that information on art rounds would mess up the art - IMO.... Probably could put it around the edge (third side). Cheers, RickO

Usually if just the initials are present, that doesn't detract from the art...exhibit A
    CMG's bottoms up bar.