Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

New Coin Photography Setup for 2022: Focus Stacking Rig

Happy New Year to All! To kick off 2022 I am offering a new type of system for folks interested in high resolution photography. It is based on my System-400, but I have added an industrial 2mm pitch linear rail (THK KR2602B), 0.9-deg Stepper motor with manual operation knob (Vexta PK243m-01BA), and a Stepper motor controller with computer interface.

I don't expect to sell a lot of these, but for folks wanting to do high resolution work, this system has the capability.

Check it out, and PM me if you have interest in doing high resolution 2D and 3D work:

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Comments

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - looks awesome. It kinda looks to be out of my price range, so I'll stick with Kodak Instamatic. I like low tech. LOL

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice rig, motorized rail is sweet. B&H got nothing on you. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few folks have asked for pricing on this system, so I figured I post it here.

The copy stand (wood base, 18" column, hardware) plus THK rail, Motor, Arca Plate and clamp, and Stacking Controller are $575. You supply the camera and lens and lights, or I can supply a turnkey system.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2022 2:44PM

@rmpsrpms said:
    Happy New Year to All! To kick off 2022 I am offering a new type of system for folks interested in high resolution photography. It is based on my System-400, but I have added an industrial 2mm pitch linear rail (THK KR2602B), 0.9-deg Stepper motor with manual operation knob (Vexta PK243m-01BA), and a Stepper motor controller with computer interface.

I wish I understood English better and knew what all this meant.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2022 3:49PM

@rmpsrpms
    I'm always interested when I see your posts but don't quite need this yet. I'm curious though if my existing camera would be able to be used with your setup or if I would need additional/different equipment for the best results. I have:

• Canon T4i
    • 18-135mm lens
    • 55-250mm lens
    • 50mm 1.4f lens
    • speedlight 430EX 2

Thanks!

Justin

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options

@lablover said:

@rmpsrpms said:

I wish I understood English better and knew what all this meant.

Hah! It's not so bad, but it does take some specialized hardware to create pictures like these:

• Options

@jshaulis said:
    @rmpsrpms
    I'm always interested when I see your posts but don't quite need this yet. I'm curious though if my existing camera would be able to be used with your setup or if I would need additional/different equipment for the best results. I have:

• Canon T4i
    • 18-135mm lens
    • 55-250mm lens
    • 50mm 1.4f lens
    • speedlight 430EX 2

Thanks!

Justin

Your Canon T4i is an excellent coin camera. The images above were taken with a T2i, so you can do just as well or better with your camera.

Your lenses can't do any high resolution work. You can shoot full slabs and Dollars with them, but smaller coins will start to lose resolution because you'll need to crop them. You'll need a microscope objective to do the high res work. They are not too expensive. The adapter is actually more than the objective in many cases! You could probably get by with a 4x Amscope objective, a cone-shaped adapter, and a few extensions. Total cost <$100.

I am not sure about the speedlight. Most likely it will work fine but you'll just have to add a diffuser to "shape" the light for best results.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the quick and informative response. I'm guessing someday I'll be in touch.

Thanks!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this where the first lunar landing took place?

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2022 8:13PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Is this where the first lunar landing took place?

Many of these renderings look like that. This is an unabraded die clash behind Lincoln's head on a Wheat Cent. I rendered it at a low angle in order to emphasize the depths of the 3 clashes. Some folks say these look like the old Battlezone game. I remember having a lot of fun playing that game!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive set up and outstanding pictures.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...