Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it me or is PCGS grading really slow

It's been 2 months since PCGS received my Morgan's, got 2 graded but it's just getting so slow, is e everyone seeing the regular grading turnaround time this long. In the end, grade it 70 and I'm fine, but good luck getting a call back from CS.

Best Answer

Answers

• duck620duck620 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS received 4 coins from me on Nov 10th still in grading????

• JmisJmis Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Yep 👍🏻

• PeyroguyPeyroguy Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Glad it's not just me, Nov 5th these 4, they graded my designer set but without the designer set label. Had to ship it back and wait another month for that, thankfully they are done. Funny, they are having grade 5 coins get one free, yet they can't seem to keep up with demand. I guess this is really price we pay getting the premium over NGC, which seem to grade much faster.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know about faster. Per their site, the early bird tier has a 60 business day wait time, economy 64 days, and modern at 78 days respectively. I dont know if that is better than it was.

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the PCGS anniversary coin/commem. is still being sent back with the larger orders? It seems the gold colored PCGS slab holder is out of stock.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE said:
    Does anyone know if the PCGS anniversary coin/commem. is still being sent back with the larger orders? It seems the gold colored PCGS slab holder is out of stock.

It feels random. I didn’t get either when I received my 4Q order back in mid-December yet there were reports on this forum earlier this week of gold boxes received this week! Seems there is some element of random.

• I just got orders back I submitted in mid-September.

• stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

I can't imagine waiting that long for my coins to come back. If I really want something graded in the future or reslabbed, I will just take it to a show that has on-site grading.

@FixedFrameNate said:
    I just got orders back I submitted in mid-September.

That's just crazy

• @Peyroguy said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

That's just crazy

I basically was sending in one order a week all year. Until my September submissions they were all coming back in the advertised time window.

Something happened in early September to back them up, and it hasn’t really cleared yet. All my October submissions are still in grading.

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double these times and you'll have a much more honest amount. These are up double since last year. Which means you can expect a 300-400% increase in turnaround times than you received last year. This has been my experience.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am about to send in an error submission. I have heard they take "months". We will see. Not a big rush to get them back, just do not want them to disappear.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

92 calendar days in grading and counting...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got grades on a 10/13 regular submission a couple days ago. Took a week in encapsulation and another week in QA. The last part usually only took a day or two max all year.

Hopefully they're able to chew through those morgans and get back to somewhat normal. 50+ days for a regular is ludicrous.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

@3stars said:

It's just wrong, when you wait over 3 months and counting you better see a 70

54 callers ahead if you, that's what you hear when you call. Emailed them 4 days ago, nothing back yet. I'm ok with waiting, my issue is send a email out to let us know, You pay for the highest level membership you should expect a little better service

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

It aint you

Yeah so just spoke to PCGS, nice enough CS ppl there. My 2 orders just moved into imaging, they said 40 working days is the updated turnaround fir regular. Right now I'm 39, so 40 sounds like a Longshot, maybe 50

40 is a long shot, I got one that sitting right at 39 business days today and thats taking into account a few extra days in addition to the pcgs holidays , and its not even in qa yet.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peyroguy said:

@3stars said:

If I see any 70's on the coins I submitted, I'll be a billionaire... (Buffs, large cents, Barbers)

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:

@Peyroguy said:

@3stars said:

If I see any 70's on the coins I submitted, I'll be a billionaire... (Buffs, large cents, Barbers)

Lol

• @DelawareDoons said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

@Peyroguy said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

That's just crazy

I basically was sending in one order a week all year. Until my September submissions they were all coming back in the advertised time window.

Something happened in early September to back them up, and it hasn’t really cleared yet. All my October submissions are still in grading.

I think something happened in October and it's called "suddenly 100k "Morgans" to grade."

Why was there a glut of Morgans?

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FixedFrameNate said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

@Peyroguy said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

That's just crazy

I think something happened in October and it's called "suddenly 100k "Morgans" to grade."

Why was there a glut of Morgans?

The 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars that were released by the Mint late last year.
    5 flavors of Morgan, one of Peace.

Collector, occasional seller

• MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

I'm one of those people who's mucking everything up with the 2021 Morgans. They've been in QA status for over a month now.

What REALLY has me concerned is that the mintmarks (on my order) are different than what I sent in. For example, I sent in two each CC & O, and it looks like they've got them as 1-P, 1-CC and 2-O. I called and emailed, and the very nice CS people said they'd be flagged. If they get the mint mark wrong, does that make them highly collectible errors?? ;)

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    40 is a long shot, I got one that sitting right at 39 business days today and thats taking into account a few extra days in addition to the pcgs holidays , and its not even in qa yet.

What do they do in qa?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:

@jdimmick said:

What do they do in qa?

Well...mine have been in QA since early December...

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a simple solution. they just fly about a dozen of us out there, brush us up on their protocols, sign our NDAs, help us find a reliable area to stay, come in and do our 9-5 with a 1.5 hour lunch? so we have time to catch, clean and cook and bring some back for others. we'll have that backlog out in NO TIME!

i personally would LOVE to be let loose for attributions and authentication. reality is, i'd prob be doing stupid moderns all day.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Why not just pay the express instead of waiting so long for your coins. It’s more money but better than waiting months

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint didn’t do anyone favors this past year when it came to grading. They dumped all the new 2021 Morgan’s in the market along with the Peace dollar….then they jammed the new versions of the Silver and Gold Eagles on top of their normal run of coins. Add that all up and something had to give…and that was lead times. They couldn’t hire enough new people into grading and have them trained. Hopefully you understand the problem and accept it for what it is….the perfect storm!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    The mint didn’t do anyone favors this past year when it came to grading. They dumped all the new 2021 Morgan’s in the market along with the Peace dollar….then they jammed the new versions of the Silver and Gold Eagles on top of their normal run of coins. Add that all up and something had to give…and that was lead times. They couldn’t hire enough new people into grading and have them trained. Hopefully you understand the problem and accept it for what it is….the perfect storm!

While the Mint might have “dumped” and “jammed” the coins onto the market, it didn’t submit them to the grading companies. 😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Herb_T said:

While the Mint might have “dumped” and “jammed” the coins onto the market, it didn’t submit them to the grading companies. 😉

I'm also not sure the number of moderns is creating the traffic. There are tens of thousands of new issues submitted EVERY year as well as tens of thousands of silver eagles.

Methinks there is more at play here...

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent in 6 submission with number 4 sub being all 2021 Morgan’s and Peace and that sub just went into being holder stage, the other nicer stuff sent in before like walkers and older Morgan’s that where in three weeks before and still being graded so hopefully those get out soon. You would think they would come out in order.

Hoard the keys.
  • djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    I sent in 6 submission with number 4 sub being all 2021 Morgan’s and Peace and that sub just went into being holder stage, the other nicer stuff sent in before like walkers and older Morgan’s that where in three weeks before and still being graded so hopefully those get out soon. You would think they would come out in order.

Why would you think they would come out in order?
    Moderns for the most part are graded by different graders than Classics.
    They also tend to grade smaller submissions first as it makes the numbers look better to get out ten orders of 2 coins rather than 1 order of 20 coins.

The other two submissions are two coins per submission of the 2020 palladium rec in on 12/22 /21 and this order of Morgan’s just went in on 1/14/22 so how can you say that? Oh maybe they have palladium and gold and platinum graders as well.

Hoard the keys.

Oh and there are 39 coins in that Morgan order.

Hoard the keys.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if premiums and demand will increase for pcgs holdered coins already in the market because of slow turnaround?

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    I wonder if premiums and demand will increase for pcgs holdered coins already in the market because of slow turnaround?

Grading has been relatively slow for a LONG time. I can't imagine that the current turnaround times will have any noticeable impact on prices.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

It really is frustrating in my opinion. They can get coins graded in less than 24 hours at shows, but as a premium members for MANY years many of us are waiting MONTHS for coins that will probably only get a 3-4 SECOND look. It can't take that long to grade all the new 2021 Morgan's and Peace dollars since they are right off the press. I am just wondering what the coin companies/dealers are paying to PCGS to justify such quick grading, FDOI, and signed inserts while everyone else waits in line for many months? It's like the smaller collector has been put on the back burner. If you have so much business that you can't keep up, you need to scale back or stop accepting coins till you get semi-caught up. My 2021 Morgans/Peace dollars were sent in the last week of October and they didn't even get logged in till 2.5 weeks later. JMHO

• BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

My four received 12/1/2021 went quickly from received to quality check. Been there for over a month now.

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@Bikingnut said:
    My four received 12/1/2021 went quickly from received to quality check. Been there for over a month now.

What submission tier?

(l8-)>>

• BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

Economy, 51 days and counting.

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • It is today February 28, 2022. I sent in 7 coins economy back at the beginning of October. PCGS Acknowledged acceptance on October 13, 2022. That is 138 days. Coins are listed as being encapsulated. I called 2 weeks ago and told that the coins would be put on an expedited list. Still no movement. Very disappointing. I have another coin I sent in to be re-holdered and re-pictured only because it had the pictures used on coins submitted from overseas. They mailed the re-holdered coin on February 10th and as of today February 28th the new pictures have still not been downloaded by PCGS. They did of course withdraw payment for the service I am still waiting for.

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would the grading on site at upcoming Baltimore show save some time?

I just sent one in the other day and used it express, really not cost effective for what i submitted, but tired of waiting, so I just bit the bullet and did it, just reached qa, should be a matter of a few days now. still have regulars since nov/dec in grading

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does any one knows Why the photo takes so long to show up on PCGS site? Once they took the photo it should be mater of push them out. When they take the photo it should be on the computer right away. I don’t understand why it takes so long to show up.

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    Does any one knows Why the photo takes so long to show up on PCGS site? Once they took the photo it should be mater of push them out. When they take the photo it should be on the computer right away. I don’t understand why it takes so long to show up.

They have to edit the photos and prepare them in the template you see for trueview. This really could be automated using technology, but not sure they have anything implemented.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think of their speed as an air cooled vw beetle racing in Nascar.

But patience is a virtue for quality. While I don't like the long waits, I will now for the quality. I just won't renew my membership until my current orders are completed.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Herbie is upset with your statement!

@privatecoin said:
    I think of their speed as an air cooled vw beetle racing in Nascar.

But patience is a virtue for quality. While I don't like the long waits, I will now for the quality. I just won't renew my membership until my current orders are completed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file