Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on a 84-S Morgan

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello folks. Could I get some opinions on this 84-S Morgan. Its PCGS graded AU details. Would you call it 53, 55 or 58 details? I appreciate the input. My pics dont capture the blazing luster and the reverse is almost fully prooflike. Thanks!

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

From these two photos I would say AU58.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

53, outside chance of 55
    Al

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Among the three choices given, I’d go with 53.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• JWPJWP Posts: 20,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

a 55

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2022 3:09PM

I can certainly see the ‘WHY’ of the details grade.

AU 55 seems right.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

I would go with AU55 details.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long Time no see! Where have you been hiding???

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Of the three I agree, but I’m more inclined to agree with PCGS’s AU details determination.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

Of the three I agree, but I’m more inclined to agree with PCGS’s AU details determination.

Sorry for not having been clearer. I agree with the AU details grade, too. But I thought the OP was asking for opinions regarding the amount of wear on the AU details graded coin, as in 53 (details), 55 (details) or 58 (details).

“Would you call it 53, 55 or 58 details?”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

55 details.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with AU55 details..... and I am taking into account the OP's descriptive information that is not readily apparent in the pictures. Cheers, RickO

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

AU55 details.

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go with the AU55 details.

The question I have is the details due to improper cleaning/dipping, wiped hairlines, something else? For a coin with little apparent wear, I would expect more luster and not just confined to the motto, legend, date,& stars.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say AU55 Details as well. My first impression was that someone tried to dip it once too many times? I'm not seeing hairlines, but I am seeing sort of flat surfaces... It's an issue that's a conditional rarity in MS and the motivation to turn a nice AU coin into a 5-6 figure "gem" is overwhelming to some...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 55 as well. Too bad it was cleaned.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to say that a cleaned AU coin has a speciifc level of detail, since the remaining luster, which is important for establishing an AU grade, is impaired by the cleaning. Eye appeal is also important for AU, but only counts before the cleaning. I see enough wear on the coin that I can't see how it would have been an AU58 before being cleaned. AU53 is much more likely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file