Home Q & A Forum
Options

What is the current PCGS holder?

Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Is generation 6.1 the current PCGS holder. Please advise? Can you show a photo of a coin in its current PCGS holder. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2, 2022 3:37AM

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try this link.
    It shows all PCGS Holder generations.
    https://www.oldslabholders.com/post/pcgs-slab-generations
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    Try this link.
    It shows all PCGS Holder generations.
    https://www.oldslabholders.com/post/pcgs-slab-generations
    Wayne

I did it’s showing this, but I don’t see one in any of the auctions

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some examples of PCGS GEN 6.1 and GEN 6.1S holders from eBay:

~ 2021-S Proof ASE T2 (Mint 21EMN; PCGS #854431) -- Link
    ~ 2021-P Unc. McAuliffe Silver Dollar (Mint 21CJ; PCGS #852970) -- Link
    ~ 2021-W Proof High Relief Gold Liberty (Mint 21DA; PCGS 887595) -- Link

Note - these are all "base" coins (i.e., not "First Strike", "First Day of Issue", etc.).

Disclaimer - I am in no way associated with any of these listings.

• Options

Strange. I just clicked on the link that I posted, and it showed all of the PCGS slabs.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    Strange. I just clicked on the link that I posted, and it showed all of the PCGS slabs.
    Wayne

I would like to see a coin in the newer holder that isn’t a modern issue like this one.

• Options

@Joey29 said:
    I would like to see a coin in the newer holder that isn’t a modern issue like this one.

Both the "PCGS Museum of Coin Holders" and the resource provided by @WAYNEAS contain images of coins from the late 1800's to the early 1900's in the current holder.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Joey29 said:

Both the "PCGS Museum of Coin Holders" and the resource provided by @WAYNEAS contain images of coins from the late 1800's to the early 1900's in the current holder.

Can you please post a picture of one that is a Morgan or Walker. I see only the modern one.

• Options

@Joey29 said:
    Can you please post a picture of one that is a Morgan or Walker. I see only the modern one.

Please go to the link provided by @WAYNEAS in the third post of this thread. Once there, scroll down the page until you see "Generation 6.1 - Common" and "Generation 6.1S - Common". It is near the bottom of the page. Immediately to the left of these words, you will find images of a 1880-S Morgan (PCGS #40765406), and a 1904-S Morgan (PCGS #39270230) in current holders.

Additionally, there is a 'slideshow' at the bottom of the page (i.e., "PCGS Slabs By Generation"). Left click it. Slide #32, PCGS Generation 6.1, also happens to be a 1881-S Morgan (PCGS #41750105) in a current holder.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Joey29 said:

Please go to the link provided by @WAYNEAS in the third post of this thread. Once there, scroll down the page until you see "Generation 6.1 - Common" and "Generation 6.1S - Common". It is near the bottom of the page. Immediately to the left of these words, you will find images of a 1880-S Morgan (PCGS #40765406), and a 1904-S Morgan (PCGS #39270230) in current holders.

Additionally, there is a 'slideshow' at the bottom of the page (i.e., "PCGS Slabs By Generation"). Left click it. Slide #32, PCGS Generation 6.1, also happens to be a 1881-S Morgan (PCGS #41750105) in a current holder.

Thanks I will check it out

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@MetroD said:

@Joey29 said:

Thanks I will check it out

I went to the site but they show a 6.1 and a 6.1S holder, one with a shield one without. Not sure which one I would receive. What do you think?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Receive from whom?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Receive from whom?

If I resubmitted my coins to PCGS for a regrade would I get Gen 6.1 or 6.1S?

• Options

@Joey29 said:

The holder would depend upon the "Service Group" that you select on your submission form (i.e., Box #3 of the U.S. Submission Form). If you select "standard", you would receive a GEN 6.1. Conversely, if you select "Gold Shield", you would receive a GEN 6.1S. In other words, it is your decision.

Note #1 - The difference between the two holders is "Gold Shield". Here is an explanation of "Gold Shield".

Note #2 - Please be aware that the term "regrade" has a specific meaning with respect to PCGS submissions.

"REGRADE: For a coin previously graded by PCGS you feel might be worthy of a higher grade, submit coin in the holder. The coin will be removed from the PCGS holder and regraded. Grading fees will apply whether the coin upgrades or not. Coins that do upgrade will also be charged the Guarantee Premium* based on the value of the coin. If the coin grades lower, the terms of the PCGS guarantee will apply. For full disclosure of the PCGS guarantee, visit PCGS.com/Guarantee."
    Source (Page #2, "Submission Guidelines", Section #5)

FWIW, you have other submission options (e.g., reholder).

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Joey29 said:

The holder would depend upon the "Service Group" that you select on your submission form (i.e., Box #3 of the U.S. Submission Form). If you select "standard", you would receive a GEN 6.1. Conversely, if you select "Gold Shield", you would receive a GEN 6.1S. In other words, it is your decision.

Note #1 - The difference between the two holders is "Gold Shield". Here is an explanation of "Gold Shield".

Note #2 - Please be aware that the term "regrade" has a specific meaning with respect to PCGS submissions.

"REGRADE: For a coin previously graded by PCGS you feel might be worthy of a higher grade, submit coin in the holder. The coin will be removed from the PCGS holder and regraded. Grading fees will apply whether the coin upgrades or not. Coins that do upgrade will also be charged the Guarantee Premium* based on the value of the coin. If the coin grades lower, the terms of the PCGS guarantee will apply. For full disclosure of the PCGS guarantee, visit PCGS.com/Guarantee."
    Source (Page #2, "Submission Guidelines", Section #5)

FWIW, you have other submission options (e.g., reholder).

Thanks so much for the valuable information

• Options

@MetroD said:

Thanks for enlightening @Joey29.
    His OP only required a yes / no answer but obviously, they wanted much much more of an answer which we both provided.
    Thanks for taking the extra time to be more precise.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    Thanks for enlightening @Joey29.
    His OP only required a yes / no answer but obviously, they wanted much much more of an answer which we both provided.
    Thanks for taking the extra time to be more precise.
    Wayne

@WAYNEAS

It was a team effort, and the resource you provided was extremely helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us. :)

• Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

The easiest way to tell is how clear they are compared to older holders. Comparing the two it becomes obvious, the older holders have a bluish hue.

• Options

@CopperWire said:
    The easiest way to tell is how clear they are compared to older holders. Comparing the two it becomes obvious, the older holders have a bluish hue.

Which one you like better?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are grading a new coin it doesn’t matter which is better. You’ll get the colorless one.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I relooked at my slabs and found a few UNCOMMON 4.2 and 4.3. If UNCOMMON, does it affect value, up or down?