Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bill Jones to Speak at FUN about Abraham Lincoln

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that a lot of people are bailing on the FUN show because of the pandemic. If you are planning to attend, please consider coming to my presentation. My topic will be the life of Abraham Lincoln with an emphasis on his early life and how he won the 1860 presidential election. I will show how the major issues of the day were debated on presidential campaign medalets, and show some U.S. coins that bear key dates in Lincoln's life. I think that you will see some aspects of our hobby that you have noted previously.

I am Bill Jones, and I will speak on Friday, January 7 at 1:30 PM in Room N320E.

Thank you for your attention.

Here is an unofficial inaugural medalet that was issued prior to March 4, 1861 when Lincoln took the Oath of Office.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Bill, as long as my flight isn’t cancelled I’m looking forward to it!

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill's Exhibits at FUN have always been award winning and spectacular in presentation and quality of the examples. I have always gone over to the exhibits specifically to see what he is showing. So an oral presentation by Bill on Lincoln, one of his key numismatic/historical pursuits, will be a highlight of the show. I wish I could be there.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I make it there, and it is still in the works, I will certainly attend.

Tom

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like it's worth the price of admission right there. I wish I was going to attend, but I haven't made it in many years.
    Good luck with your presentation Bill !

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I were going this year. I'd be all over attending this lecture. Sounds terrific.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 9:40AM

@spacehayduke said:
    Bill,
    Any chance the FUN organizers could film your pres and possibly post it on their website or youtube following the end of the convention?

Best, SH

+1

Would love watching @BillJones presentation but I won’t be attending FUN.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could attend this event. I grew up in Galesburg, Illinois and went to Knox College. I attended classes in Old Main, the last surviving building where a Lincoln-Douglas debate took place.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to be there just to see this. I do hope you can link us to the re-runs.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to it Bill!

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh wow Bill how I wish I could be there! Will it be taped(recorded) for us that can’t make it.
    I would simply love to see and hear it.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 12:44PM

This should be a great talk! Bill's posts are always super informative and he has great pieces in collection to back it up.

If you like our 16th President, please stop by to chat with Abraham Lincoln (aka Dennis Boggs) at FUN as well!

It would actually be great for Lincoln to participate in Bill’s talk but I’m not sure if that can be done. Imagine a photo or video of them together giving the talk? Maybe for the future?

Photo courtesy of Todd Hibbs.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great link, thanks!

@BillJones said:
    Here is a link to past FUN seminars. If they tape my presentation this year, this is the place it will be.

funtopics.com/Education.html

Thank you all for your interest!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I could be there, but thanks for the link to watch the video.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 2:17PM

@Zoins said:
    If you like our 16th President, please stop by to chat with Abraham Lincoln (aka Dennis Boggs) at FUN as well!

Does he plan to mask up? ;)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2021 2:18PM

@spacehayduke said:

@Zoins said:
    This should be a great talk! Bill's posts are always super informative and he has great pieces in collection to back it up.

It would actually be great for Lincoln to participate in Bill’s talk but I’m not sure if that can be done. Imagine a photo or video of them together giving the talk? Maybe for the future?

Does he plan to mask up? ;)

We'll find out soon enough! If he does, it would be great to get some photos!

I think there will be enough social distancing for talks like his Gettysburg Address, but it could be different if he's mingling with the crowd, signing things, etc.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for letting us know, Bill!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2022 10:25AM

whoops

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Here is a link to past FUN seminars. If they tape my presentation this year, this is the place it will be.

funtopics.com/Education.html

Thank you all for your interest!

Wish I was going this year. I certainly would take the time to introduce myself in person and listen to your presentation. I'm sure it would be time well spent. Good luck with your presentation and I will follow your link after FUN to see if it's available to watch on-line.

Mark

I do have every intention of being at next year's show... God willing.

Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file