Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins in gen3 (?) holders should they be resubmitted

PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

Over the years I had many older pcgs holders and I never resubmitted the coins to try and get a higher grade.
In general what are the odds of a coin in a gen 3 holder getting a one or two movement higher in grade?

Example attached is a 1898o ms64 Morgan dollar in I believe to be a gen 3 holder. It probably doesn’t make sense to resubmit this coin but in general what is the probability for a grade improvement.
Thank you in advance

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grade improvement depends upon the coin not the holder

There is no database where the coin public keeps upgrade results by holder type. Everyone’s mileage may vary.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I understand.
    I have to believe coins that were graded 30 years ago might grade differently today. Since many coins have been resubmitted over the years the information, not a guarantee, must exist on the percentage that get upgrades.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 7:24PM

I wouldn’t do it unless it went up 4 figures or the holder was beat to crap and I couldn’t stand looking at it. I probably focus too much on old holders that are as clean as a new holder.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:
    Yes, I understand.
    I have to believe coins that were graded 30 years ago might grade differently today. Since many coins have been resubmitted over the years the information, not a guarantee, must exist on the percentage that get upgrades.

You are incorrect, there is no such information database that exists on upgrade percentages by holder type or age. In your case the price difference between the current MS64 in the OGH vs an MS65 in a new holder is so small that you could lose value after the grading fees. And that assumes you would get the upgrade, which from your photos is at best a 50/50 shot IMO.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

The information does/did exist. In 2021 how many old holders did pcgs reconsider/regrade? How many did they do it the last five years, ten,….
    The information was/is there over time but it may have never been compiled in a database or if it was a decision was made not to distribute it. Unless the records of all submissions over the years have been deleted the information is there.

I have to believe people on this forum have some personal experience on the success of grade improvement which would be a starting point.

In case of the coin I mentioned I agree it probably doesn’t make sense because I would need a two grade jump to ms66. However, if we knew that on average two (this is a guess to drive home my point) percent of the coins graded 30 years ago received a two grade improvement and 10% received a one grade improvement that might make some people take the risk if the coin value increase was substantial.
    🙂

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 8:54PM

@Ppp said:
    The information does/did exist. In 2021 how many old holders did pcgs reconsider/regrade? How many did they do it the last five years, ten,….
    The information was/is there over time but it may have never been compiled in a database or if it was a decision was made not to distribute it. Unless the records of all submissions over the years have been deleted the information is there.

I have no idea if PCGS keeps any internal information on the type or generation of holder that gets submitted for regrade, I highly doubt that they do but if so I have never seen that information disseminated.

@Ppp said:
    I have to believe people on this forum have some personal experience on the success of grade improvement which would be a starting point.

Yes but that would be skewed as the coins submitted for regrade are coins that the submitter felt had a high chance of getting a higher grade and the financial reward was worth the risk of losing the old holder. In other words those were cherrypicked coins not just a random sample so those results would not apply across the board.

@Ppp said:

In case of the coin I mentioned I agree it probably doesn’t make sense because I would need a two grade jump to ms66. However, if we knew that on average two (this is a guess to drive home my point) percent of the coins graded 30 years ago received a two grade improvement and 10% received a one grade improvement that might make some people take the risk if the coin value increase was substantial.
    🙂

Maybe but I think you underestimate the market power and value of the old holder, but please by all means you send in all of your old holders. Everyone that gets cracked out just makes the old holders I have that much more valuable.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you have a coin that is a slam dunk for a significant upgrade (that would mean value is well over cost of submission), then why even bother? Of course, I do not sell coins, so squeezing a few dollars out by regrading does not interest me. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file