Home Q & A Forum
Options

Civil War Eagle sword belt plate. Authentic or not?? Opinions welcome

I've done some research and believe this is an authentic M 1851 Eagle belt plate with a silver wreath from the American Civil War but welcome others opinions.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell us what you found about the stamped 9 99 and the rough brass cast bubbles. And whatever else is relevant. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

There isn't much publicly available information out there but it appears as though the stamped numbers make it more likely to be authentic. The minor dimple in front of the clasp on the obverse could indicate a mold pour mark.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no expert on these, but here are my reactions:

1) looks too new
    2) I don't like the casting roughness - products usually had better finish/QC back then.
    3) the font on the stamped numbers looks modern.

• Options

I agree with @JBK I just examined more than a dozen authentic buckles on dealers sites. None have numbers stamped on the back and the brass castings are smooth and full. You should research further. Plenty of buckles for sale with great pics.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 thats one of the issues with these. I've seen authentic belt plates with the stamped numbers and some "experts" say they are a definitive indicator that they are genuine.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

99.9%brass?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

The sheer volume of buckles made is definitely part of the challenge. I see there's differences between Officer, NCO and Enlisted buckles. There's also at least 2 different silver wreath styles. Interesting. Peace Roy

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trader007 said:
    @Namvet69 thats one of the issues with these. I've seen authentic belt plates with the stamped numbers and some "experts" say they are a definitive indicator that they are genuine.

Fake buckles can have stamped numbers added easily enough.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just googled the belt plate and this one looks off. Unable to get a copy to post here. I agree with @JBK looks questionable.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    m4832m4832 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

I found one of these years ago with a metal detector. It's not as nice as the one pictured of course and the soldered part is missing.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

have a expert look it over and they can tell you of it's real or not

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the hasp on the back on an authentic piece was added after the plate was cast. There should be solder around it where they attached it. Your piece looks like the hasp is part of the plate and not added after. Could just be the photo though.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

just to keep it coin orientated

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...