Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2002 Error Penny

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and have been spending a bit of time searching through my change and came across a 2002 d penny that appears to have some sort of stamping on it that looks like another
penny was pressed into it. Is this a legit error or nothing but pennies being pressed together? any thoughts would be much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

you are right with this one:
    nothing but pennies being pressed together

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacklaughlin said:
    Hello everyone I am new to the forum and have been spending a bit of time searching through my change and came across a 2002 d penny that appears to have some sort of stamping on it that looks like another
    penny was pressed into it. Is this a legit error or nothing but pennies being pressed together? any thoughts would be much appreciated thanks.

If the stamping is raised, and not reversed, it is a legit error. If it is pressed in and reversed, it is post mint damage.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

That's what I thought! and i have one more question about this penny. Is this doubling?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

the lower shelf-like metal results from the coin moving against loose machinery

it is called mechanical doubling, but is not the doubling that is collected. that would be a die with more than one image in it ... e.g. a doubled die

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! Best place there is to get advice from many experts on those coin questions. I agree with those above about your coins. Keep an eye out... there are some good ones out there waiting to be found!

----- kj
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats the reverse look like? Alot of time when coins are squeezed together, to make it look like they were double struck, the reverse has some obvious distortion/damage.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

2002 has been faked so it is damaged and not an error coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacklaughlin ... Welcome aboard.... Your cent in the OP is Post Mint Damage (PMD) and your second cent is mechanical - or sometimes called machine - doubling... no numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

all no goes, jmo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file