Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA Christmas Ratings Crash to Near Historic Lows

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NBA has looked at Christmas Day as their personal showcase for quite some time. However, they might start looking at it differently after looking at the ratings.

The NBA got thoroughly dominated by the NFL on Christmas Day. The NFL’s late Christmas offering of Browns-Packers garnered more viewers than the entire slate of NBA games. For example, the NBA’s featured game, Nets-Lakers, only drew 5.75 million viewers, five times fewer than the nearly 29 million who watched the Browns and Packers.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

🙌

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 3:32AM

I tried watching an NBA game on Christmas, I just couldn't make it, I ended up watching the Twilight Zone, the episode about the robot boxers!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this league folded in the 90’s? When your star is a communist sympathizer you’re only audience are 12 year olds working in sweat shops making sneakers for Nike.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 9:18AM

Between most teams playing that day having rosters that were decimated by Covid,The NFL having games playing at the same time and online streaming taking viewers away this really isn't all that surprising. Where at a time in history where you can watch literally any professional sporting event on your phone where ever you want.

Some may think that this is just an NBA thing but the Bucs-Chiefs SB had the lowest ratings since 1969 and the past two World Series were some of the lowest in history. I'd say this is less an indictment on these particular sports and more about people viewing games different from the way they did 20-30-40 years ago so of course ratings will go down.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went color TV and watched Columbo

@doubledragon said:
    I tried watching an NBA game on Christmas, I just couldn't make it, I ended up watching the Twilight Zone, the episode about the robot boxers!

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:
    I went color TV and watched Columbo

@doubledragon said:

I love Columbo, just one more thing!

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

The leagues are too social/political and have turned off tons of people. Some people just want sports entertainment. Especially on a holiday.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want the NBA to go bankrupt and fold

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should have their holiday games on May Day. Roller Derby is interesting than the NBA, even though the outcome is predetermined. Better still, they should move the whole league to China. The “Canton Celtics” has a nice ring to it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?