Home Sports Talk

Baker Mayfield received death threats after Packers game

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baker Mayfield's wife revealed on Instagram that they have received death threats because of Baker's performance in the Packers game. What is wrong with people, I have watched the NFL for decades, but I never let myself take the game too serious and I always try to find humor, even when my team is going through a rough time.

Baker Mayfield received death threats after Browns loss to Packers

Baker Mayfield's wife, Emily, revealed on her Instagram story that the Cleveland Browns quarterback has received death threats.

The Cleveland Browns were close to potentially pulling out an upset win over the Green Bay Packers in Week 16, but ultimately lost 24-22. After the loss, quarterback Baker Mayfield has been subject to heinous messages from individuals.

Mayfield's wife, Emily, took to her Instagram story on Tuesday to reveal that the she and the signal-caller have received death threats.

Mayfield missed out on the team's rescheduled Week 15 game against the Las Vegas Raiders due to being placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list. He was just activated ahead of the Packers game and flew to the game separately from the team.

In the game, Mayfield threw three interceptions in the first half, but it did not knock the Browns out of it. Cleveland trailed bounced back, cutting their 12-24 deficit to 22-24 after a 37-yard field goal from Chris Naggar and a five-yard touchdown pass from Mayfield to wide receiver Anthony Schwartz. But, as the Browns looked to get ahead of the Packers in the final minutes of regulation, Mayfield's pass intended for wideout Donovan Peoples-Jones was intercepted by cornerback Rasul Douglas.

On the day, Mayfield completed 21-of-36 pass attempts for 222 yards, two touchdowns and four interceptions.

The Browns face off against the Pittsburgh Steelers on the Week 17 of Monday Night Football, with both teams looking to climb into a playoff berth.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heck, I don't know what the Cleveland fans are whining about, I would gladly trade you quarterbacks, try this on for size big daddy! And yes, these are real photos.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are always some idiots out there acting up on social media, Emily should just continue to support her husband and just do them both a favor and get off social media, it’s not helping him at all

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is awful and unacceptable. The way the major sports leagues are shoving gambling at us at every angle these days it wouldn't surprise me if some of this stems from folks losing some coin due to his performance??

@LandrysFedora said:
    This is awful and unacceptable. The way the major sports leagues are shoving gambling at us at every angle these days it wouldn't surprise me if some of this stems from folks losing some coin due to his performance??

Honestly anyone that took the Cleveland money line deserved to lose their money. The Browns covered otherwise so not sure if it’s gamblers that are flipping out

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Honestly anyone that took the Cleveland money line deserved to lose their money. The Browns covered otherwise so not sure if it’s gamblers that are flipping out

Good point Perk, I was trying to possibly tie it to something close to logical, not that there's any valid excuse for it. In my mind I don't see anything else justifying that behavior. There are many other serious issues our society faces today other than a football player having a bad game. Maybe this is just a reflection of the society we live in now??

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

just insane that a person would threaten someones life over a football game.

stupid

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    just insane that a person would threaten someones life over a football game.

stupid

Easy to do on social media.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you are Cleveland Browns fan, you have to know your place in the world, just like those us who follow the Philadelphia Eagles. We are all second class citizens in pro football.

The Eagles have won it all twice in my lifetime. I expect that to be it. When you follow a team that almost never makes the grade, you should be happy for the few good things you get. New England Patriots fans were in the same boat before the Belichick / Brady era.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@LandrysFedora said:

@perkdog said:

@LandrysFedora said:

Good point Perk, I was trying to possibly tie it to something close to logical, not that there's any valid excuse for it. In my mind I don't see anything else justifying that behavior. There are many other serious issues our society faces today other than a football player having a bad game. Maybe this is just a reflection of the society we live in now??

I’m numb to it honestly, people are capable of thinking, saying and actually doing anything unfortunately.

Regardless if anyone is a sports fanatic or not there is zero excuse for such ignorant behavior

I've come to accept that the Panthers will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. I've gotten used to their shenanigans, their idiocy, their ineptitude, their stupidity, and I deal with it the way any normal person would.

And I've learned to look forward to every season, and appreciate each of the five wins we get every year.