Home Sports Talk
Options

Madden died today

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I have right now

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2021 5:51PM

I'm in shock, I had no idea he passed. His impact on the game of football will always be felt. RIP to a true legend.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! That's indeed a shocker. So far have not heard anything about it on the news........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

The football world lost a true legend today. I grew up watching Madden and Summerall doing their thing. The best football announcing combo ever in my opinion! RIP

• Options

He was 85 years old, I just read it online. He's the kind of guy you would love to have played for, always right there with his players in the heat of battle, then made the transition to broadcasting. I loved listening to him in the booth with Pat Summerall calling games and talking about football, he was a football genius. And everyone has played his video game, this is devastating news, I really admired John Madden.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am also devastated. John Madden was one of the soundtracks of my childhood. the greatest announcer I ever heard. i will miss him.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the best, RIP Coach.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2021 7:12PM

R.I.P.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP. I can't imagine the number of lives he influenced and the number of young men he guided to fulfill their promise.

• Options

This is pretty cool, this is the original first John Madden football game he created, it was released in 1988, and it was a computer game that came on a floppy and hard disk.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2021 7:13PM

And you can see the evolution of graphics from the original 1988 game to today, John Madden worked with the video game companies to improve the game as the years went by, he wanted it to be as close to reality as possible.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    R.I.P.

you edited your post before I could chime in. I have been to the eating establishment you mentioned and why am i not surprised that you have too :D

you wanna tell the story or do you want me to?

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad day. RIP.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Madden and Summerall in the booth defined football for a generation. He will be missed.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP John Madden. You sir will be missed

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2021 11:07AM

you edited your post before I could chime in. I have been to the eating establishment you mentioned and why am i not surprised that you have too :D

you wanna tell the story or do you want me to?

No , but thaks for the offer. I just felt bad about the whole thing and I wanted to say something about Cal Poly instead. Two posts would be one too many. We both went to school there. Him much earlier than me. MUSTANGS!.. I thought it was more fitting. I started another post about the Cal Poly thing but didnt finish it.......so I got rid of the first one. But, Chuys is a great place and the Madden Haul of Fame there does sort of have a tie in to Cal Poly.....fear of flying and riding a bus instead. It's all kinda sad. So I edited both of the posts out.....
    ....RIP.

P.S. The Lovely Mrs. Chuy sometimes gave me an EXTRA chile relleno...or two....gratis!

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭

RIP coach.
    Loved both the bench and booth

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea madden football began in 1988. i figured it started sometime in the 90s. incredible.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

The GREATEST EVER, never gonna be another John Madden.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 8:35AM

ok i'll tell the story. out in far West TX it is so desolate that the speed limit is 80, or at least it was the last time i was trekking through that area. in the middle of a whole lot of nothing is a blip on the radar called Van Horn. population around 1,500 or so. in this tiny town there is a hole-in-the-wall Mexican-food joint called Chuy's (not to be confused with the restaurant chain) that John Madden stumbled across many years ago and fell in love with. remember, he always drove and never flew. well, he ended up forming a bond with restaurant ownership and any time he passed through Van Horn while traveling on I-10, he stopped there to eat. he had his own room, his own table, and his own chair with his name on it in front of a big screen television.................reserved just for him and his posse.

many years ago i was driving to El Paso for a high school football game, and of course i had to stop at this place and throw down. i remember the food being so-so, but then again i'm a born and raised Texan and thus my experiences with Mexican food are quite vast. but the lasting thought i had was, "how the hell did Madden find this place?"

RIP big John

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a very good coach coach and the best ever announcer. He will be greatly missed. It's good that Fox did a tribute to him before his death.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Galaxy,...I have a great Van Horn story.......I'm driving down main street (the only street?) and a horse, all saddled up, goes charging by in front of me. In hot pursuit was a guy running after the horse....the horse goes through an open door into a building...... Cowboy goes to the door....then, horse runs out of building and knocks cowboy flat on his as*. Then.....the pursuit resumed down main street!...... Only in TEXAS!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    ok i'll tell the story. out in far West TX it is so desolate that the speed limit is 80, or at least it was the last time i was trekking through that area. in the middle of a whole lot of nothing is a blip on the radar called Van Horn. population around 1,500 or so. in this tiny town there is a hole-in-the-wall Mexican-food joint called Chuy's (not to be confused with the restaurant chain) that John Madden stumbled across many years ago and fell in love with. remember, he always drove and never flew. well, he ended up forming a bond with restaurant ownership and any time he passed through Van Horn while traveling on I-10, he stopped there to eat. he had his own room, his own table, and his own chair with his name on it in front of a big screen television.................reserved just for him and his posse.

many years ago i was driving to El Paso for a high school football game, and of course i had to stop at this place and throw down. i remember the food being so-so, but then again i'm a born and raised Texan and thus my experiences with Mexican food are quite vast. but the lasting thought i had was, "how the hell did Madden find this place?"

RIP big John

You summed it up......way better than I could have. I was a regular at Chuys for many, many, years. 1980''s until a few years ago. I miss that place. Cold beer. Good beans.. Hot tortillas!
    Nothing on Earth beats that. Well maybe something else.💃. Good people..... Nobody better..... GALAXY......THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU!

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 5:14PM

Hey, Galaxy.... Those pictures you posted of Chuys brings tears to my eyes......I can't believe it......The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant and my hang-out..........IT'S A SMALL WORLD!!!

• Options

I was able to dig this up, John Madden's last call, Super Bowl XLIII, what a game, check it out.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 5:29PM

AND.....you're right....the food is so-so....UNLESS you know the cook........then QUE LASTIMA!!!!

P.S....Don't bother to look it up. Tex-Mex for Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!......always good for A laugh...... That's what it's all about....🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

That Chuy's is on the way to the highest point in Texas, Guadalupe Peak, as well. That is how I found it. There is not much in that part of the state so any decent restaurant is good to know. When I stopped there the first time, on the way to the Guadalupe Mountains, I had no idea of the association with Madden, but found out and saw his table while I was there, it was cool. Afterwards Chuy's was pretty much a required stop when passing that way.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came across this gif embedded in one of the articles online about him. I had never seen anything like it before, not just for Madden, but any NFL head coach. It was different times, for sure, and I've posted the famous Len Dawson pic of him smoking at halftime of the first Super Bowl, and Dave Parker and teammates smoking in the dugout. There's the famous Dick Allen SI cover of him with a cig. I do recall as a kid watching This Week In Baseball, or perhaps WGN or TBS, and them showing manager Jim Leyland and players like Keith Hernandez sneaking smokes.

Also, love the Royal blue windbreaker with the Raiders logo that he's wearing. Not sure I've ever seen off-colored team branded NFL gear in pics and video from that era, although I've never really looked.

Without further ado, and tagging @doubledragon because I know he'll love it and I want to make absolutely sure he sees it, I give you Smokin' John Madden!

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I came across this gif embedded in one of the articles online about him. I had never seen anything like it before, not just for Madden, but any NFL head coach. It was different times, for sure, and I've posted the famous Len Dawson pic of him smoking at halftime of the first Super Bowl, and Dave Parker and teammates smoking in the dugout. There's the famous Dick Allen SI cover of him with a cig. I do recall as a kid watching This Week In Baseball, or perhaps WGN or TBS, and them showing manager Jim Leyland and players like Keith Hernandez sneaking smokes.

Also, love the Royal blue windbreaker with the Raiders logo that he's wearing. Not sure I've ever seen off-colored team branded NFL gear in pics and video from that era, although I've never really looked.

Without further ado, and tagging @doubledragon because I know he'll love it and I want to make absolutely sure he sees it, I give you Smokin' John Madden!

That is awesome, I've never seen that before, he looks so cool!

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw the special on Madden that was to air before he died. It was great especially him setting in his chair watching on the big screen. No head sets on the sidelines for coaches then