Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

One Ancients One French - What are they?

I am totally unfamiliar with ancients. I am in need of help with attribution and valuation sources / resources for two coins shown in the four pictures here. I would be very thankful to know what these things are. I expect minimal, if any, value due to the quality of the specimens. Can anyone seeing this post help me? very much appreciated! This is my first time in the World & Ancients Coins Forum.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this on the French medal... is this correct: "N. J. Schloss & Co., New York City boy's clothing merchants. "Exposition Universalle" above seated, draped woman crowning semi-nude man with laurel wreath, above "1889" over the Eiffel Tower and exposition grounds, in background are a tree, book, lamp, painter's pallet, etc. / "Republique Francaise" to left, star above naked angel blowing trumpet, left hand holding wreath around pillar surmounted by bust of France, tree to right, with "N. J. Schloss""

Value roughly $40 or so?

• Options

"Bronze antoninianus from the reign of Roman emperor Probus (276 to 282AD). The antoninianus denomination suffered (like all coins during national deterioration) from devaluation, and the XXI annotation on the reverse is thought to indicate a 20 (XX) to 1 (I) ratio of bronze to silver in the coin. Initially the coin was made of pure silver with a value of 2 denarii, but, by the time of Probus, had debased to only 5 percent silver.

The image on the back is likely to be the Roman god Jupiter handing the globe to Probus, but there are several other interpretations and several other patterns as well."

Value about $25?

• Options

You can use this website to identify Roman coins http://numismatics.org/ocre/results?q=rev_leg_text:Clement*+AND+portrait_facet:"Probus"+AND+fulltext:XXI

Probus coins are common and have a lot of variety - so while they are collectable, even rarities are cheap. They need to be in great condition to go for much. $25 is ok, maybe even slightly low - this one is on for $45, although that looks a bit optimistic https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/numiscorner/239/product/coin_probus_antoninianus_276282_antioch__billon_ric921/1178787/Default.aspx

• Options

Thanks so much John, very helpful. I will discuss with the owner the rough value level and what he has.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Found this on the French medal... is this correct: "N. J. Schloss & Co., New York City boy's clothing merchants. "Exposition Universalle" above seated, draped woman crowning semi-nude man with laurel wreath, above "1889" over the Eiffel Tower and exposition grounds, in background are a tree, book, lamp, painter's pallet, etc. / "Republique Francaise" to left, star above naked angel blowing trumpet, left hand holding wreath around pillar surmounted by bust of France, tree to right, with "N. J. Schloss""

Value roughly $40 or so?

An advertising fob, not a medal. Poor quality art work. A $40 valuation sounds VERY high to me.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth Thank you for sharing that info.