Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Playoff picture

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's time to start thinking about the playoffs, here is how it's looking as of now.

NFL playoff picture entering Week 17:

All but eight NFL teams are still alive for the playoffs heading into the Week 17 games.

While only two playoff spots remain in the NFC, six are still up for grabs in the AFC heading into NFL Week 17.

With the addition of a third Wild Card team in both conferences, it has allowed even more fanbases to be engaged this late into the year. Only one-quarter of the league has been eliminated from playoff contention through 16 weeks. With the Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs holding the top spots in their respective conferences, here are the latest playoff pictures.

These are the AFC standings heading into the Week 17 slate.

AFC playoff picture entering Week 17

z-Kansas City Chiefs (11-4)
Tennessee Titans (10-5)
Cincinnati Bengals (9-6)
Buffalo Bills (9-6)
Indianapolis Colts (9-6)
New England Patriots (9-6)
Miami Dolphins (8-7)
Baltimore Ravens (8-7)
Los Angeles Chargers (8-7)
Las Vegas Raiders (8-7)
Pittsburgh Steelers (7-7-1)
Cleveland Browns (7-8)
Denver Broncos (7-8)
e-New York Jets (4-11)
e-Houston Texans (4-11)
e-Jacksonville Jaguars (2-13)
z=Clinched division

e=Eliminated from playoffs

Kansas City has already won the AFC West and would have home-field advantage if the season ended today in the AFC at 11-4. The Tennessee Titans lead the AFC South at 10-5 and would be the No. 2 seed. The Cincinnati Bengals lead the AFC North and would be the No. 3 seed at 9-6. Leading the AFC East at 9-6 are the Buffalo Bills and they would be the No. 4 seed in the AFC.

Nine more teams are still alive in the AFC playoff picture entering Week 17. The three Wild Card teams would be the Indianapolis Colts (9-6), New England Patriots (9-6) and Miami Dolphins (8-7). The Baltimore Ravens (8-7), Los Angeles Chargers (8-7), Las Vegas Raiders (8-7), Pittsburgh Steelers (7-7-1), Cleveland Browns (7-8) and Denver Broncos (7-8) are on the outside looking in.

The New York Jets (4-11), Houston Texans (4-11) and Jacksonville Jaguars (2-13) have all been eliminated from playoff contention in the AFC.

Here are the NFC standings heading into the Week 17 slate.

NFC playoff picture entering Week 17

z-Green Bay Packers (12-3)
z-Dallas Cowboys (11-4)
x-Los Angeles Rams (11-4)
z-Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11-4)
x-Arizona Cardinals (10-5)
San Francisco 49ers (8-7)
Philadelphia Eagles (8-7)
Minnesota Vikings (7-8)
Atlanta Falcons (7-8)
New Orleans Saints (7-8)
Washington Football Team (6-9)
e-Carolina Panthers (5-10)
e-Chicago Bears (5-10)
e-Seattle Seahawks (5-10)
e-New York Giants (4-11)
e-Detroit Lions (2-12-1)
z=Clinched division

x=Clinched playoff berth

e=Eliminated from playoffs

Green Bay has already won the NFC North and leads the conference with a 12-3 record. The Dallas Cowboys have won the NFC East and would be the No. 2 seed at 11-4. While the Los Angeles Rams have not clinched the division yet, their 11-4 mark has them in the playoffs and leading the AFC West. The NFC South division champions Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the No. 4 seed at 11-5.

Seven more teams are still in the mix for the final two NFC playoff berths. The three Wild Card teams would be as of right now the Arizona Cardinals (10-5), who have clinched a playoff berth, San Francisco 49ers (8-7) and Philadelphia Eagles (8-7). The Minnesota Vikings (7-8), Atlanta Falcons (7-8), New Orleans Saints (7-8) and Washington Football Team (6-9) are still alive.

The Carolina Panthers (5-10), Chicago Bears (5-10), Seattle Seahawks (5-10), New York Giants (4-11) and Detroit Lions (2-12-1) have been eliminated from playoff contention in the NFC.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it will come down to Green Bay vs Tampa and the Chiefs vs Indy

Green Bay vs Chiefs

Green Bay winner

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2021 2:11PM

I think you're right, Perky. I pick Green Bay to go all the way. But....the Rams are peaking. Could go all the way. They had a bad Nov. because of the loss of Robert Woods and the offense trying to adjust to OBJ......without that they would have the best won lost record in the league..... It will be interesting to see how the Rams handle the personnel situation in the next two games. The Rams are the best "TEAM" in the league..... they have the momentive right now.....but.....it will come down to Brady and Rodgers in the NFC.....COOL!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

bold statement time.

let me preface this by saying that i despise the Cowboys. have for many decades. but i always shoot straight. always. whether i like or dislike a player or team matters not when i opine. and right now, my spidey-sense is telling me that the Dallas Cowboys are going to win the Super Bowl for the first time since 1995.

they have arguably the two best defensive players in the league in Micah Parsons and Trevon Diggs. their defense is nasty when everyone is healthy. and they have all kinds of talent on the offensive side of the ball. they lead the league @ 30.5 per game. they have the most complete team in the NFL, yet no one is talking about them.

until now.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    bold statement time.

let me preface this by saying that i despise the Cowboys. have for many decades.

Well, Galaxy, at least we have that in common..... Can anybody say, "HOLLYWOOD HENDERSON?!?!"..........

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@galaxy27 said:
    bold statement time.

let me preface this by saying that i despise the Cowboys. have for many decades.

Well, Galaxy, at least we have that in common..... Can anybody say, "HOLLYWOOD HENDERSON?!?!"..........

i can. i can also say "28 meelyun"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hollywood-henderson-wins-lotto/

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    bold statement time.

let me preface this by saying that i despise the Cowboys. have for many decades. but i always shoot straight. always. whether i like or dislike a player or team matters not when i opine. and right now, my spidey-sense is telling me that the Dallas Cowboys are going to win the Super Bowl for the first time since 1995.

they have arguably the two best defensive players in the league in Micah Parsons and Trevon Diggs. their defense is nasty when everyone is healthy. and they have all kinds of talent on the offensive side of the ball. they lead the league @ 30.5 per game. they have the most complete team in the NFL, yet no one is talking about them.

until now.

Lawrence, Parsons and Diggs are without question the most solid trifecta of defenders out of all the other teams right now. They are performing lights out.

They will find a way to not win though, I really believe that. I like the Cowboys, always have since the 70’s when I started watching football so I’m not bashing them I’m just saying what I think.

The offense has been together all year and they did hit a cold streak, they are rocking it now but that could be subject to change again.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2021 4:05PM

BREAKING NEWS!.....O.K., I have a confession to make.....Apologies to DD.......I always pull for A. Rodgers!....why?....because a few years back in a playoff game he not only beat the Cowboys, but he beat the crooked refs, and he beat the NFL Big Boys! TRIFECTA!!!!!.......That game is burned into my memory...... Want to beat the Cowboys, especially in a playoff game?????.......you have to beat the Cowboys, the refs, and the big boys. And $Jerry$ Jones$! ....want to win a playoff game against the Cowboys, AMERICAS TEAM?.....Here's the formula...... Beat them BIG.....REALLY BIG!......or you lose! Go PACKERS!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:
    bold statement time.

until now.

Lawrence, Parsons and Diggs are without question the most solid trifecta of defenders out of all the other teams right now. They are performing lights out.

They will find a way to not win though, I really believe that. I like the Cowboys, always have since the 70’s when I started watching football so I’m not bashing them I’m just saying what I think.

The offense has been together all year and they did hit a cold streak, they are rocking it now but that could be subject to change again.

you may very well be right, perk. but i just have a funny feeling that Jerry is gonna get another one before he passes on, and he's creeping up on 80. i can practically close my eyes and see his mug plastered all over my television with a sh*t-eating grin on his face and confetti raining down on his head. this team is loaded -- so if not this year, when?

i like Dallas' chances WAY better than Tampa's

• Options

No way, Galaxy! The FOOTBALL GODS will not allow a Cowboy Championship. They have spoken to me.......they say......"RODGERS BEATS JERRY BUCKS".

• Options
    edited December 28, 2021 4:28PM

Did you catch the double entendre, galaxy?? .....Jerry?.....Bucs?....never happen......PACKERS OR RAMS. It's A toss up.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    BREAKING NEWS!.....O.K., I have a confession to make.....Apologies to DD.......I always pull for A. Rodgers!....why?....because a few years back in a playoff game he not only beat the Cowboys, but he beat the crooked refs, and he beat the NFL Big Boys! TRIFECTA!!!!!.......That game is burned into my memory...... Want to beat the Cowboys, especially in a playoff game?????.......you have to beat the Cowboys, the refs, and the big boys. And $Jerry$ Jones$! ....want to win a playoff game against the Cowboys, AMERICAS TEAM?.....Here's the formula...... Beat them BIG.....REALLY BIG!......or you lose! Go PACKERS!

It's ok Hydrant, I have a little confession of my own. Ok, here goes...........I'm actually starting to become a fan of Bill Belichick, the guy just fascinates me, I don't know what it is about him but I can't help it, I like the guy!

• Options

I mean, you can't help but like the guy!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:
    bold statement time.

until now.

you may very well be right, perk. but i just have a funny feeling that Jerry is gonna get another one before he passes on, and he's creeping up on 80. i can practically close my eyes and see his mug plastered all over my television with a sh*t-eating grin on his face and confetti raining down on his head. this team is loaded -- so if not this year, when?

i like Dallas' chances WAY better than Tampa's

I wont count out Tampa, it’s tough to repeat but Tom is Tom.

Surprisingly the D has actually outperformed the O recently, I’m still not sure what to think about them getting blanked by N.O, they were undermanned but still.

I think it will be fun if Dallas is in the mix, let’s hope for a good playoff format either way

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@Hydrant said:

It's ok Hydrant, I have a little confession of my own. Ok, here goes...........I'm actually starting to become a fan of Bill Belichick, the guy just fascinates me, I don't know what it is about him but I can't help it, I like the guy!

Double D it might be time for an avatar change? The mustache needs to stay though!! 😂😂😂

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Cowboys even get as far as the NFC Championship game, it will be non-stop Cowboys 24/7. And if they made it to the SB, it would be chaos.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cowboys played a 3rd place schedule because of their record last year. With Dak out and the defense a mess the got to feast on bottom dwellers this year. They had a 9-7 team if Dak didn’t get hurt. They have changed from a 3-4 to a more conventional 4-3 and added playmakers. That doesn’t mean they will be able to compete every week with the elite teams. I wouldn’t get too excited about 4 wins in a row. Saints w/o a QB. Giants and two wins against the WFT. Cardinals are doing their yearly late bow out.
    The league loves the Cowboys when they’re winning. Lots of merchandise sales and the hype is overwhelming. Weak division and weak schedule doesn’t equate to a Super Bowl or even a deep run on the playoffs. If they win 2 games in the playoffs I’d be surprised. More than surprised. Shocked actually

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2022 8:25AM

I'm saying a prayer - any team in the SB except the Packers.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I guess the Browns Cowboys Super Bowl will have to wait until next season. :'(

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    I'm saying a prayer - any team in the SB except the Packers.

I have the same thought about Dallas.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2022 10:25PM

Trevon Diggs is over rated. Pro Football focus who grades out every position every week currently has Diggs at #75 or so for the season. PFF is the Bible amongst insiders. Diggs has a lot of INTs as teams throw at him a lot. The reason? He gives up a ton of big plays. True to form he gave up many today.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Trevon Diggs is over rated. Pro Football focus who grades out every position every week currently has Diggs at #75 or so for the season. PFF is the Bible amongst insiders. Diggs has a lot of INTs as teams throw at him a lot. The reason? He gives up a ton of big plays. True to form he gave up many today.

m

Not sure if he’s overrated, just over hyped at this point. Besides Brady and Herbert he’s feasted on rookies and back ups on bad teams. Teams throw at him because he’s a rookie. AJ Green put a double move on him last night and he showed that. He’s going to be just fine. AJ Green did the same thing to White of the Bills in his first year and he turned out ok.
    Remember this is the Cowboys and everything, every move, every uttered word if HUGE news.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    The Cowboys played a 3rd place schedule because of their record last year. With Dak out and the defense a mess the got to feast on bottom dwellers this year. They had a 9-7 team if Dak didn’t get hurt. They have changed from a 3-4 to a more conventional 4-3 and added playmakers. That doesn’t mean they will be able to compete every week with the elite teams. I wouldn’t get too excited about 4 wins in a row. Saints w/o a QB. Giants and two wins against the WFT. Cardinals are doing their yearly late bow out.
    The league loves the Cowboys when they’re winning. Lots of merchandise sales and the hype is overwhelming. Weak division and weak schedule doesn’t equate to a Super Bowl or even a deep run on the playoffs. If they win 2 games in the playoffs I’d be surprised. More than surprised. Shocked actually

Cowboys offense still struggles against good defenses and the secondary got exposed. Murray came through with his legs and most teams struggle with a scrambling QB.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2022 12:53PM

Trevon is a risk/reward d-back if ever there was one. always trying to anticipate, always jumping routes. when he guesses right, he regularly flips the possession arrow. when he's wrong and doesn't have safety help, he gives up big plays. last Sunday A.J. Green got him to bite on a double move and was so wide open down the sideline that i think it looked like an optical illusion to Kyler. :D

as TD's career evolves I expect a regression toward the mean on both counts -- fewer INTs and fewer chunk plays given up