Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Any card collecting New Year's Resolutions?

Greetings, I was wondering if anyone had any goals for the New Year, collecting-wise?

Personally, I am still on the lookout for a high-end Steph Curry Refractor RC in a decent grade.

Best wishes and season's greetings!

Comments

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year, my general goal was to help as many people as possible with hobby related issues.

I hope to get closer to complete on my 1946 Propagandas Montiel set and my Mickey Mantle Master set.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Sell more, keep PC focus, grade more if prices drop

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Get some of my PC graded. I might have to go with a different TPG (other than PSA). I don't care so much about resale value -- really just want about a dozen of my PC graded with one of the major TPG's.

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was all over the map in 2021, so I want to narrow my focus when purchasing cards, be more selective in choosing which cards to grade, do a better job sticking to a budget.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tons of inventory to sell. Just need the time to do the hard work of listing it.

• DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

(1) Slow down, the prices being asked for cards are mostly crazy and yet I buy them to fill a player set or something then watch the values continue to fall. I started this whole PSA collection with NFL HOFer RCs and will be more patient this year rather than jumping to a player set because I'm not finding cards I need.
    (2) Quit buying $25-$50 dollar cards for player sets and just be patient and buy a $200 - $300 for a card I need for my HOF RC set.
    (3) Stop over paying for cards, just because the cost for grading a card has jumped doesn't make the card itself worth more money. I will be more patient and find cards I want at a cost that is fair.

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@DMasci said:
    (1) Slow down, the prices being asked for cards are mostly crazy and yet I buy them to fill a player set or something then watch the values continue to fall. I started this whole PSA collection with NFL HOFer RCs and will be more patient this year rather than jumping to a player set because I'm not finding cards I need.
    (2) Quit buying $25-$50 dollar cards for player sets and just be patient and buy a $200 - $300 for a card I need for my HOF RC set.
    (3) Stop over paying for cards, just because the cost for grading a card has jumped doesn't make the card itself worth more money. I will be more patient and find cards I want at a cost that is fair.

To your point #3- Why shouldn't a card be worth more since the cost of grading is higher now? I think it should make a card price higher. You can't get a card graded now because those levels are closed and when you can the cost is higher. My gallon of milk and food is higher. Pass the cost along to the buyer.

• DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

To your point #3- Why shouldn't a card be worth more since the cost of grading is higher now? I think it should make a card price higher. You can't get a card graded now because those levels are closed and when you can the cost is higher. My gallon of milk and food is higher. Pass the cost along to the buyer.

While I agree with you, how many times have we been given the advice to buy the card not the holder. Theoretically a card that grades PSA 8 that cost $10 to grade and the same card that grades PSA 8 but cost $50 to grade should be worth the same amount. But I get it....the consumer always has to pay. The problem is today that there are cards being graded that turn out to be not worth the cost of grading.....

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy it more (at whatever level you are at). Twelve months from now a lot of the current questions will be answered. So however you approach the next 12 months….enjoy it!!!!!

Happy New Year everyone!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • voxels123voxels123 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

@DMasci said:

While I agree with you, how many times have we been given the advice to buy the card not the holder. Theoretically a card that grades PSA 8 that cost $10 to grade and the same card that grades PSA 8 but cost $50 to grade should be worth the same amount. But I get it....the consumer always has to pay. The problem is today that there are cards being graded that turn out to be not worth the cost of grading.....

True. I agree. The hard truth is that if grading PSA cards [still] costs in a year more than 5X what it costs to grade them 10+ years ago, prices will go up, or the fresh supply will dwindle. There is really no other way.