Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

81 T BBCE Vending - RIPPING W/ PICS

balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2021 12:33PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1/2 my clan has Covid, expecting mediocre football games today. So….one of my few remaining “ROI be-dammed” unopened boxes is calling.

Encouragement needed or talk me off the ledge! LOL!

Steve

Comments

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Don’t do it!!! Be strong!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely. I was just talking to MisterTim, and he was saying there are literally THOUSANDS of PSA 10 Fernando’s out there waiting to be submitted.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote go for it for the price. Would be a fun rip with less monetary stress. With a potential nice hit.

• Options
    MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2021 3:47PM

Absolutely. I was just talking to MisterTim, and he was saying there are literally THOUSANDS of PSA 10 Fernando’s out there waiting to be submitted.

Yup, since they printed WAY over ONE MILLION of Fernando's card that year, odds are there's at least 1,000 PSA 9's still out there.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I Ripped a 81 FB vending and released 2 Montana Rookies. Go for it.

• Options
    GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Here's a comforting thought: in 1981 the U.S. population was about 230 million and in 2021 it's about 330 million, so today there are about 100 million more people with the potential to want to own one of those 1 million Valenzuela cards than there were back then. As one who has far too many junk wax cards, I consider this a comforting thought.

• Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

That's a great box!. Would be hesitant to open though. I've had few early 80's vending boxes that I opened and although pulled some rookie and HOF cards, most had bent corners or were off center. Would suggest the box itself has more "market" value long term if unopened as well as more "personal" value with the possibility of one or two Fernando's in it.

• Options

Rofles….now that you def can’t open.

• Options

I once bought a 1976 Topps vending box for $100 (long time ago) and every card was off center 90/10 top to bottom. They were razor sharp, but it annoyed the heck out of me that every single card was miscut that way. Something to consider before you open any vintage vending box.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Rofles….now that you def can’t open.

YES.. Ty, I needed to read that! lol

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do NOT open.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

I ripped a couple modern boxes with my young kids (5&8). We had a blast.

Also put an 87D to the side for them to rip as well. Looking for Mac, mattingly, Bo, bonds, Maddux and Larkin.

Been a lot of fun

Point is, don’t expect a return outside of entertainment.

Life is short, have fun!

Signed,
    80s Unopened Degenerate.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

What sport is the box?

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

I recently opened a 1973 Topps Football Vending. I was not entirely sure if the box had been compromised so I decided to see what was in it. Luckily (or unluckily), the box was not touched and wielded about 70 Hall of Fame cards. I think the only two stars I did not get were Stabler and Franco. The centering was hit and miss as expected but all the cards were razor sharp.

• Options

Baseball.

Only thing holding me back is I already have 50+ 81T cards set aside for grading. Unless a $10 sub returns, will never have them graded. So, do I want to add to that long pile of raw 81 T cards?. Lol.

• Options

@balco758 said:
    Baseball.

Only thing holding me back is I already have 50+ 81T cards set aside for grading. Unless a $10 sub returns, will never have them graded. So, do I want to add to that long pile of raw 81 T cards?. Lol.

After re reading your original post, I am tempted to say "RIP IT" I am sure it would be a blast, but if you already have a bunch to send in, I wonder if you won't end up regretting it.

Also depends on how much unopened you have. If you have more of this year then go for it. Don't expect a lot of well centered cards though.

You would be able to put together some nice raw sets though, if you enjoy that.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    I recently opened a 1973 Topps Football Vending. I was not entirely sure if the box had been compromised so I decided to see what was in it. Luckily (or unluckily), the box was not touched and wielded about 70 Hall of Fame cards. I think the only two stars I did not get were Stabler and Franco. The centering was hit and miss as expected but all the cards were razor sharp.

Hey Art,
    Did you get a decent Unitas? If so I'd be interested. Just shoot me a PM.
    thanks

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rip it, why not? Surprised so many posters want to keep it intact, this a vending box or 81 Topps, sure it has value but its not irreplaceable by any means. Live a little.

• Options

I am gonna rip it. Just stinks there isn’t anything terribly exciting to look for.

Yeah yeah, I know there are cool cards, but you all know what I mean.

But will be fun. More later.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO unless you're a Baines fan.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Don’t sub much, but pulled a psa 10 ‘81 Henderson from
    BBCE vending a few years ago.

Let ‘er rip!

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2021 1:06PM

@Ahmanfan said:

@ArtVandelay said:

Hey Art,
    Did you get a decent Unitas? If so I'd be interested. Just shoot me a PM.
    thanks

I did get one but am keeping it for the set I put together from the vending box.

Fantastic start Balco!

• Options

Best of the rest….oh well that was fun!

• Options

Baines and Reggie. Neither any good.

Rickey and Schmidt had shark bites.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like 17 candidates for PSA 10 based on the centered “best” you posted. That is pretty solid for early 80s Topps vending. Nice to see a few stars in that mix in Murray, Seaver and Fisk. Thanks for sharing the rip!

• Options

Very nice!

• Options

I absolutely love the 81 set and have built one over the last decade+. Finally finished in all 9 or 10s (#4 on registry) and love seeing the chase for these super challenging cards in high grade. I've been lucky enough to rip wax and racks (years back) and also have a cut case from each sheet. So cool to see these come out of vending!!!

Quick question, does anyone know exactly what happens when there is a, for lack of better term, reverse fish eye on a card? You can see an example of this on the Nolan Ryan posted, along the top border in the blue/white. I have this on some 81s (along with other weird print issues....Mike Heath, Don Aase, Lynn McGlothen, Dennis Lamp....cards also missing top borders....usually top row of double-printed cards). The reverse fish eye seems to occur on 81s that are a bit more "grey" or darker than others. Just curious if anyone had any input on this.

Carlton Fisk is also interesting as it has a white dot on the Red Sox hat below the E. I have only come across one Fisk that does not have that white dot (it's a PSA 9)....I also have a 10 that has the white dot. Along the same lines, Gary Carter always has a blue dot on the left side border. I haven't come across one that does not have it.

I don't post on here often but would love to talk 81s if anyone has more knowledge to add on this set. Thanks!

• Options

Me submitting 17 cards typically gets back the below results:

PSA 9 = 2
    PSA 8 = 8
    PSA 7 = 5
    PSA 5 = 1
    Min Size = 1

I can’t be alone??!! :)

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayeaton I've bought a few of your extras over time, as I'm building this set myself, at #6 on the registry, and I know how tough this set is. I've been working on it 9+ years, and have made it to 86+%. I do have a Skaggs and an Adams in an 8 as placeholders (not sure if/when I'll upgrade those toughies), but everything else is currently 9s or 10s.

I also have been fortunate to open a great quantity of 81s, but nothing recently. I just did a quick look at my stacks of Carters and Fisks, and every one has the print dot that you mentioned, including both of my 9s. I've also noticed the "reverse fisheyes" before, and not just on 81s.

By the way, the OP's Baines is the "eyelash" variation. Some of those were printed with that black line near the bottom right border. Neither version, with or without, seems much more common than the other to me, but I haven't really done a legitimate survey.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    I am gonna rip it. Just stinks there isn’t anything terribly exciting to look for.

Yeah yeah, I know there are cool cards, but you all know what I mean.

But will be fun. More later.

Are you kidding? It seems that the Scioscia rookie, if a 10, would be the most exciting card of the entire decade.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing the results, Steve! Some very sharp cards there!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the category is 1981 Topps Baseball and I need to use a life line I'm for sure ringing @jayeaton

Great thread Steve. That was fun!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always, a pleasure sifting through a balco (Steve) rip thread!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Nice cards. I like the Fisk, Ozzie and Seaver. What’s the issue with the Baines?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

Thx guys.

Dan I still have 1 78 cello box left….

Re Baines. Both left side corners are touched.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Live vending fresh 80s cards, some really sharp examples there that really pop. I’ve opened very little 81 and have no connection to the set, but what little I have opened have been in horrendous shape.

Thanks for sharing!

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

countdouglas, I didn't know about the Baines! Very cool, I'll have to look for that. I know Harry Spillman has that in the baseball/topps logo part. Seems to be close to 50-50 split on which version for him.

• Options

Here's the Fisk that I was referencing. The 9 is the only one I've ever seen without the white dot.

• Options

Don Aase (smudge on hat) and Lynn McGlothen (blue smudge in sky)

• Options

Mike Heath with a line running through the upper right seems to be somewhat common. What I found interesting is I have a "Rediscover Topps" that they inserted in packs years later. You can see the slight beginning of that line taking shape. Made me think of the 1990 thread on here with potentially some getting onto the printing plates.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow count! You weren't whistling Dixie

Thanks for all the great info

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Count, that’s some awesome OCD.

Imagine the Sesame Street Count…

1 Baines, ah ah ah. 2 Baines, ah ah ah. You would need entire series of shows to count your 81’s!!

Love it.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loved picking these up from BBCE (not FASC) for $35 each whenever he had them. What do they go for now? $100? $200?

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Loved picking these up from BBCE (not FASC) for $35 each whenever he had them. What do they go for now? $100? $200?

$389 was the last price I saw them listed for.