Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is Washington Crossing the Delaware Quarter a Series?

rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2022 12:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/washington-crossing-delaware-quarters/203665/most-active
https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/circulating-coins/general-george-washington-crossing-the-delaware-quarter

If so, it's a pretty short "series". But there are some special varieties, mostly errors? (sorry no W's my bad) .but I dont think it can be called a series unless there are more than one date.

(These were from pocket change, obvious wear one man's junk)

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Comments

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

I think it was authorized under the America the Beautiful series, was it not? At least that's what the US Mint site says. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-110publ456/pdf/PLAW-110publ456.pdf But it isnt actually part of the series because the Obverse is the pre 50 states obverse, was it authorirized by congress or not? Is it a series ? or an orphan?

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2021 8:51AM

Thought it was being replaced next year.

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a one coin series - which is why I love that coin

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, series implies multiple issues/dates. This only one year. I would call this a one year type coin. Just my opinion

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2021 4:31AM

I'd call it a series. It was meant to be the new design going forward but the series was ended after one year due to subsequent legislation that authorized yet another series.

• mlittlemlittle Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

It should be a series instead of the women's reverse quarters starting in 2022. They should use the new obverse of Washington that's coming in 2022 and the Washington Crossing the Delaware reverse that's on the 2021 quarter.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

Yup. Similar to the 1976 Bi-Centennial coins which were a one year issue but collected as part of their respective series.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2021 4:33AM

@PerryHall said:

@Che_Grapes said:

Yup. Similar to the 1976 Bi-Centennial coins which were a one year issue but collected as part of their respective series.

Two year, both years with the same date(s). ;)

That one gets a little messy. :D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one in change this week.... I do not think it is a series though. Never can be sure what the Mint may do though. Cheers, RickO

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we can all agree that it's a neat and well executed design. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlittle said:
    It should be a series instead of the women's reverse quarters starting in 2022. They should use the new obverse of Washington that's coming in 2022 and the Washington Crossing the Delaware reverse that's on the 2021 quarter.

I thought the crossing was the new/old Washington obverse?🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2021 11:29AM

@Oldhoopster said:
    To me, series implies multiple issues/dates. This only one year. I would call this a one year type coin. Just my opinion

Type is good. To me, it's a "sub-type" because one side is the same as before, but if sub-type is not being used, type works.

• mlittlemlittle Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

The crossing has Washington facing left as he always has. In 2022 the Mint will have a new profile of Washington facing right.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlittle said:
    The crossing has Washington facing left as he always has. In 2022 the Mint will have a new profile of Washington facing right.

Not only are they facing different directions, Laura Gardin Fraser will finally get her due!

• smuglrsmuglr Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

A W mint mark variety ??

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I think we can all agree that it's a neat and well executed design. B)

... Hmm. I personally don't like it.
    And I refuse to take it seriesly. 😉

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    edited January 9, 2022 12:16PM

Looks like the Series is one year, with three mint marks. And 100 varieties due to all the errors at the Philadelphia mint these days :p How do you prove what year it was minted in. I'm hoping there is a mule out there hiding in a bank roll, like there were with the Sacagawea's $1 when they introduce the Presidential $1. :D

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rooksmith said:
    https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/washington-crossing-delaware-quarters/203665/most-active
    https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/circulating-coins/general-george-washington-crossing-the-delaware-quarter

If so, it's a pretty short "series". But there are some special varieties, most notably a W mint mark.but I dont think it can be called a series unless there are more than one date.

What W mint mark are you referring to?

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a singularity. Not a series. The obverse has Washington's portrait just a little larger and in higher relief. It's actually quite beautiful. This is only available in P,D, and S....no W's.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think there is a "W" mint mark. Only the usual P/D uncirculated versions and S (proof) in clad and silver.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got one in change recently. I like it. Very well-executed design, in my opinion. My quarter (now in a 2x2) is a 2021-D.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2022 7:56PM

It's a gap coin. It fills the 10 month gap between two multi-year quarter series. The last coin of the ATB series (Tuskegee Airmen) was issued in early 2021. The American Women Quarters series (2022-2025) features a right facing George Washington on the obverse. Would love to see some W's minted.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be a part of the pre-state-quarters series, same as the 1976 Bicentennial quarter is.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was the new permanent reverse. After women and youth sports, it will revert back to crossing.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:
    Depends. How many times did he cross the Delaware?

/s

At least 3... the original crossing, the "retreat", and then the second crossing.

I quoted "retreat" because it was a tactical decision - from an unholdable position, not under fire.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BearlyHere said:
    I thought it was the new permanent reverse. After women and youth sports, it will revert back to crossing.

It was going to be the permanent reverse after ATB. However, the current law doesn't actually sunset the Youth Sports coins after the semisesquicentennial in 2026.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/1923?q={"search":["coinage+act","coinage","act"]}&s=2&r=3

" Section 5112 of title 31, United States Code, is amended by adding
    at the end the following new subsection:
    (z) Redesign and Issuance of Quarter Dollars and Half Dollars Emblematic of Sports Played by American Youth.--(1) Redesign of quarter dollars beginning in 2027.--
    ``(A) <> In general.--
    Effective beginning January 1, 2027, notwithstanding the
    fourth sentence of subsection (d)(1) and subsection
    (d)(2), the Secretary shall issue quarter dollars that
    have designs on the reverse selected in accordance with
    this subsection which are emblematic of sports played by
    American youth."

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

But it may be the last with that classic obverse. We will never know, I'm keeping my small hoard. They will probably end up like the 1976 quarter - over-hoarded and then gradually used in circulation. They are likeable coins, in my opinion. Something to give away to your grandkids.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file