Home U.S. Coin Forum

What to do with collection?

Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice. Years ago I inherited a large coin collection. I am working through cataloging the items, have yet to begin with all the books and jars of loose coins and bills. Thus far I've inventoried the proof sets and "special" coins procured through the Washington Mint and the US Mint. For example, I have Premier Silver Proof Sets from US Mint, years 1992-1998, all in hinged "velvet" boxes with certificates. I have a fair number of Prestige sets as well. Then I have 8 half-pound silver certificates, .999 fine silver, from the Washington Mint...all in a wooden collector box. And a bunch of commemorative-style coins, also .999 fine/pure silver, from Washington Mint, ranging anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 lb.

Question - I have no idea what to do with these. Are they more valuable for the silver content or for the sets themselves? I've been loath to part with them, but we are downsizing for retirement...and I don't really have anyone to pass them to when I'm gone. Thanks!

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of those are just silver content. No real collector premium.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Washington Mint items have very little aftermarket interest from collectors. If you can get anything close to melt value, you'll be doing well.

Sometimes those private mint issues are plated ("layered" as they say in the ads). If that's up the case, it will be difficult to find a buyer.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

You probably have considerable silver value but that is about it. Hopefully the Washington Mint items are all marked as to weight and fineness. If they are not marked they will be a tough sell.

All glory is fleeting.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you have described so far is fairly typical for a collection.
    Are the "books" folders with coins in them, like a Lincoln Cent Collection 1909-1939?
    Jars of loose coins are often foreign coins from travels.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TT1518 .... Welcome aboard. Good advice so far, however, to get more specific advice, we will need pictures of the items... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file