Home U.S. Coin Forum

Non-pattern reverse "Cheerios" Dollar on eBay

2»

Comments

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    somebody at a TPG hand wrote "901" on a printed list of recognized varieties...[sic].. and somebody else read it as a 4.

I think this is the most likely case. Is it a 4 or a 9?

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something like that.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@keets said:
    so, in the end this is a little more than a coin listed on eBay with a picture too small to determine the Variety and a comment based on insert information?? do I have that correct??

PCGS certainly needs feedback/input to get it right.

Quite possibly, and I will be following up with PCGS. Fred gave me a name to contact.

On the bright side, I think I stumbled across a new and possibly useful die marker worthy of further study.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

Keets said **so, in the end this is a little more than a coin listed on eBay with a picture too small to determine the Variety******_
    what are the chances that the person who bought this on Ebay is a member here and can post better pics than the listing had, when he or she receives it, that started this post and conversation ? That might help.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay bidder posted positive feedback, so the $4050 MS63 example found a satisfied buyer

@keets said:
    so, in the end this is a little more than a coin listed on eBay with a picture too small to determine the Variety and a comment based on insert information?? do I have that correct??

PCGS certainly needs feedback/input to get it right.

edited October 24, 2022 11:36AM

Is this an example of a cheerios dollar that does not have enhanced tail feathers ?

"Regular Reverse"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125539878139?

Seller "no returns on this item"

I can't see rare enhanced tail feathers using NGC images either

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6461280-001/68/

@LindyS said:
    Is this an example of a cheerios dollar that does not have enhanced tail feathers ?

"Regular Reverse"

It appears to be. Hard to tell anything from the photos.

edited November 11, 2022 8:55AM

I asked seller for better reverse images twice:

"Nope, your images are fuzzy. As you likely know not all cheerios dollars were struck with rare enhanced tail feather design. This rare reverse die alone makes the coin valuable. I wonder if this is why NGC says 'Regular Reverse" which implies it has common dollar reverse of which some were included in cheerios packaging.

Still like to see great images this week, when possible. It would help me decide to buy. Thank You !

mbarrcoins

I'm sorry, this item is at an inventory fulfillment center and we are unable to pull it for additional photos :(

You should be able to view a close up using the eBay Zoom feature!

Andrew

Happy Monday ! Can you show me a detailed image of reverse including tail feathers details please ? I received you 500 off offer, but I need to see better images of reverse and a sharper image of obverse too would be perfect as I see you do not offer returns on this item. Thank You ! "

They refused to provide better images on this 10k as-is sale, contrary to ad text offering return option.

Item later pulled.

I will now assume NGC's designation "REGULAR REVERSE" on Cheerios Dollar means it was in the cereal packaging, but it does not have detailed tail feathers.

Not all 5,000 Cheerios Dollars have the rare reverse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file