Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help! Can Anyone Recommend an eBay Alternative for Selling My Graded CC Morgan Dollars?

C2CC2C Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
edited December 15, 2021 7:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to everyone that helped with my question.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 15, 2021 3:46PM

It was stated by someone the listing the years and mint mark/certified company of the actual coins, while not offering them for sale here, was "shilling". So I have removed the dates of the coins I was asking about. I thought it was important to show they were not raw, but certified, but another disagreed.

I simply do not want to be robbed using eBay. Finding a good outlet would be appreciated. Thank you.**

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

BST has worked for many. Check out the rules for doing that.

The other option involves auction houses. Those come with fees though. There is Great Collections and Heritage (both have representation here on CU).

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again as said, GC or here

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's some nice CC dollars you have. I would definitely try the BST forum.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

what they said ... BST !!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend the BST too.

Part of it is I want to see the coins your selling as do many of us here so the BST recommendation may be a little biased. ;)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would try BST first, no seller fees, no buyer fees and a sophisticated audience.

If you don't want the hassle of dealing with the end user Heritage or Great Collections would both be good choices but both charge the buyers fees that most buyers take into consideration when placing their bids and there are also seller fees involved.

Why are you not interested in selling on eBay? Sure there are seller fees involved but no buyer fees and you can list your dollars for free only paying if they sell and include what you would pay in eBay fees in your asking price. For what you get I think the eBay fees are very competitive.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@C2C The BST Forum is a great place to sell coins since there are no fees. As a relatively new member here, you may be requested to ship any coins prior to payment. This is not a problem if you are dealing with a well established forum member.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you put them on BST, make sure you price them highly enough. There's no advantage to selling at wholesale on the BST.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know what you want to net on each? How soon do you want money? Do you like the thrill of auctions?
    Do you want to deal with someone locally?

• Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Great collections

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@C2C - I just sold my complete CC Morgan set to focus on chasing old holders. I did the research and the math by comparing recent sales of similar coins and grades on GC, Heritage and ebay. As @jmlanzaf noted, don't get hung up on the fees if the net result is a higher return. I chose Heritage even with their higher buyer's premium. In the end, their marketing and large audience more than compensated for the premium. I was very satisfied with the results.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also try Heritage. They would offer a fair amount for the entire set. Cash on the spot so you don't have to hassle fees and shipping (and subsequent, possible: "I didn't get the coin" scenarios).

peacockcoins

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I would also try Heritage. They would offer a fair amount for the entire set. Cash on the spot so you don't have to hassle fees and shipping (and subsequent, possible: "I didn't get the coin" scenarios).

This makes great sense. Heritage can probably predict what such coins will bring within a few dollars. They are popular but not rare. CC's move quickly so their offer will probably be very reasonable.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Does Heritage and GC report your sales to the IRS? If so, your tax returns just got more complicated.
    Does Heritage and GC collect sales taxes? If so, do most bidders factor that in when they determine their maximum bid?

• Options

@MFeld said:

@PerryHall said:
    Does Heritage and GC report your sales to the IRS? If so, your tax returns just got more complicated.
    Does Heritage and GC collect sales taxes? If so, do most bidders factor that in when they determine their maximum bid?

I would hope that regardless of the selling venue, everyone pays taxes and files with the IRS in compliance with the applicable laws,

I would like to laugh...but I also HOPE everyone pays their taxes.

Of course, the sales tax issue is a little more complicated and could be avoided in certain cases such as the BST. I don't know where GC is with regard to sales tax collection in all 50 states.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m interested in a few of those! Can you pm me please?

• Options

Thanks everyone. I'll check out Buy Sell Trade here. I'm new enough to the forum that I didn't realize there was one here, so I'm happy to hear there is. I've also looked at the major auction houses, but wanted to get some collectors thoughts and maybe discover something like BST.

I appreciate all of the responses. I'm going to read through them all and I'l pass out some "likes".

• Options

" Why are you not interested in selling on eBay? Sure there are seller fees involved but no buyer fees and you can list your dollars for free only paying if they sell and include what you would pay in eBay fees in your asking price. For what you get I think the eBay fees are very competitive."

As for eBay, I know these will sell there, but the fees are just too high given the value of some of my coins. I'd strongly prefer an alternative.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    @C2C The BST Forum is a great place to sell coins since there are no fees. As a relatively new member here, you may be requested to ship any coins prior to payment. This is not a problem if you are dealing with a well established forum member.

This actually brings up an important question for me. What, if any, seller protection is there here? That's probably the one major concern I've got. Years ago, I was robbed blind on eBay with a new MacBook Pro. I was the seller and I lost the money and the laptop. I had done the due diligence and contacted eBay directly before shipping and was guaranteed a buyer could not take the shipment and then reverse payment, but that's exactly what happened. Seller claimed their card was stolen and within a week eBay ruled against me. No laptop, no cash. I lost $2,100 in an instant. I'd like to never go through that again. It's a second reason I really don't like eBay for selling.

-William

• Options
    edited December 15, 2021 3:35PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@C2C said:
    I'm looking at selling:

1881-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS65 CAC
    1881-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS66 CAC
    1885-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS RATTLER M63 PL
    1885-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS66
    1890-CC Morgan Dollar NGC MS63 CAC
    1890-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS64
    1891-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS64
    1891-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS64 PL
    1892-CC Morgan Dollar NGC MS64+
    1892-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS XF40

I don't want to be robbed by eBay. Any help finding a good outlet would be appreciated. Thank you.

eBay won't rob you. They charge a fair price for a fair service.

If you get 20% more but it costs you 12% to get it, you are up 8%. Don't make the mistake of focusing on the fees and ignoring the important thing: net dollars in your pocket.

I mentioned this in another response, but I have in fact been robbed using eBay. Whether eBay was simple the useful idiot of the situation or not, I was still out a laptop and $2,100 cash. All it took was the buyer, after receiving the laptop, claiming their card had been stolen and within a week I had lost my new MacBook Pro and my cash, so please be aware that robbery does in fact happen there. Also, fair fee amount to unfair fee amount is very subjective. I don't feel anything above a 10% fee is fair, but you like the 12.9% area. Very subjective. I very much appreciate your sharing your opinion though. :)

• Options

"If you get 20% more but it costs you 12% to get it, you are up 8%." Don't make the mistake of focusing on the fees and ignoring the important thing: net dollars in your pocket.

How do you account for 20% more? Very curious about that... Do you mean by listing above market by 20%, or something else? I don't understand.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

These are not taxed in my State.

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    I’m interested in a few of those! Can you pm me please?

If I can figure out how, yep.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, intentionally or not, you are already shilling them on the US coin board when you aren't supposed to list things for sale here. Follow the advice of others and if you are too skittish walk them to a dealer.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited December 15, 2021 3:43PM

@TomB said:
    Well, intentionally or not, you are already shilling them on the US coin board when you aren't supposed to list things for sale here. Follow the advice of others and if you are too skittish walk them to a dealer.

See, its remarks like this that are bothersome. Did my asking about forums to sell these violate a rule? I'd take the post down. I'm not offering them here, but asked where other collectors would recommend and what I was selling. I offered nothing here for sale. Why was it worth your time to interject in such a way? If I've violated a rule asking about outlets other than Ebay, please let me know, otherwise, why be insulting and interject where no rules are broken? There has been no "shilling" of anything...

• Options

The safest was to sell on the BST is to accept PayPal. Don't ship until after you get paid. PayPal will protect the buyer.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@C2C said:

@PerryHall said:

This actually brings up an important question for me. What, if any, seller protection is there here? That's probably the one major concern I've got. Years ago, I was robbed blind on eBay with a new MacBook Pro. I was the seller and I lost the money and the laptop. I had done the due diligence and contacted eBay directly before shipping and was guaranteed a buyer could not take the shipment and then reverse payment, but that's exactly what happened. Seller claimed their card was stolen and within a week eBay ruled against me. No laptop, no cash. I lost $2,100 in an instant. I'd like to never go through that again. It's a second reason I really don't like eBay for selling.

-William

How long ago was this? Recent policies are that sellers are protected from unauthorized credit card use as long as you are able to provide delivery confirmation to the correct shipping address. Though the fact that you contacted eBay makes me wonder if there was something unusual about the transaction.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2021 3:49PM

@PerryHall said:
    The safest was to sell on the BST is to accept PayPal. Don't ship until after you get paid. PayPal will protect the buyer.

PayPal no longer protects the seller as I found out :o

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@PerryHall said:

PayPal no longer protects the seller as I found out :o

Well, that sucks. I knew that was the case with PayPal Friends and Family, but I thought the 3.5% regular PP fee
    included buyer protection.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@C2C said:
    I'm looking at selling:

1881-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS65 CAC
    1881-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS66 CAC
    1885-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS RATTLER M63 PL
    1885-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS66
    1890-CC Morgan Dollar NGC MS63 CAC
    1890-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS64
    1891-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS64
    1891-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS MS64 PL
    1892-CC Morgan Dollar NGC MS64+
    1892-CC Morgan Dollar PCGS XF40

I don't want to be robbed by eBay. Any help finding a good outlet would be appreciated. Thank you.

eBay won't rob you. They charge a fair price for a fair service.

If you get 20% more but it costs you 12% to get it, you are up 8%. Don't make the mistake of focusing on the fees and ignoring the important thing: net dollars in your pocket.

If you get 10% less and it costs you 12% to get it........... Well....................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@C2C said:

Classic feepay going against sellers, bite the hand that feeds.......................................................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

"How long ago was this? Recent policies are that sellers are protected from unauthorized credit card use as long as you are able to provide delivery confirmation to the correct shipping address. Though the fact that you contacted eBay makes me wonder if there was something unusual about the transaction."

It was several years ago, but the scar still stings....

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@C2C said:

Classic feepay going against sellers, bite the hand that feeds.......................................................

Actually, eBay would have had nothing to do with that, The credit card company would be in charge of that. So, curse Mastercard or Visa.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2021 4:47PM

Hey C2C- no lie, there is an element of trust on BST. However, the big dealers and the collectors on BST depend on their reputation and a bad customer experience buyer or seller does not stay quiet. I have purchased and sold many times on BST and knock on wood, every time has worked out fine. One time a dealer sent me the wrong coin, I bought a $100 Morgan and he sent me a four figure coin and sent my Morgan to a dealer in the Midwest. Soon as I got it, the three of us got on the phone and got it squared away asap. Reputation matters. Good luck selling man.
    V/r
    Mike

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@C2C said:

@TomB said:

See, its remarks like this that are bothersome. Did my asking about forums to sell these violate a rule? I'd take the post down. I'm not offering them here, but asked where other collectors would recommend and what I was selling. I offered nothing here for sale. Why was it worth your time to interject in such a way? If I've violated a rule asking about outlets other than Ebay, please let me know, otherwise, why be insulting and interject where no rules are broken? There has been no "shilling" of anything...

That request to contact that member is not acceptable behaviour on his part. All you can do with it is ignore him.
    Maybe it might be best to let Great Collections handle your coins. If you're not in the business of selling, there is a lot of noise to deal with and GC is my recommendation.

Good luck in your journey.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@C2C said:

@PerryHall said:

These are not taxed in my State.

There may not be sales tax, but there most assuredly is a tax on your gains from the sale. Even if your state doesn’t have an income tax you will have a taxable federal gain unless you sell for a net loss.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@C2C said:
    "If you get 20% more but it costs you 12% to get it, you are up 8%." Don't make the mistake of focusing on the fees and ignoring the important thing: net dollars in your pocket.

How do you account for 20% more? Very curious about that... Do you mean by listing above market by 20%, or something else? I don't understand.

It was hypothetical.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@C2C said:

Actually, eBay would have had nothing to do with that, The credit card company would be in charge of that. So, curse Mastercard or Visa.

Not so, eBay froze the transaction did an "internal investigation" which took just under a week, and ruled against me as the seller. I know, because I was the seller...

• Options

@streeter said:

@C2C said:

@TomB said:

That request to contact that member is not acceptable behaviour on his part. All you can do with it is ignore him.
    Maybe it might be best to let Great Collections handle your coins. If you're not in the business of selling, there is a lot of noise to deal with and GC is my recommendation.

Good luck in your journey.

Thanks, I was just contacted by GC and may well go through them. Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

• Options

There may not be sales tax, but there most assuredly is a tax on your gains from the sale. Even if your state doesn’t have an income tax you will have a taxable federal gain unless you sell for a net loss.

And then it becomes a deduction. ;)

• Options
    edited December 15, 2021 6:18PM

@C2C said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@C2C said:

Not so, eBay froze the transaction did an "internal investigation" which took just under a week, and ruled against me as the seller. I know, because I was the seller...

eBay may have communicated with you, but whenever there's an outside payer, they defer to the payer whether it is PayPal, the CC or both. eBay will only step in after the payer steps out.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@C2C said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@C2C said:

eBay may have communicated with you, but whenever there's an outside payer, they defer to the payer whether it is PayPal, the CC or both. eBay will only step in after the payer steps out.

:)

• Options

@C2C said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@C2C said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

@C2C said:

I've been through it a dozen times over the years, for what that's worth.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@C2C said:

And then it becomes a deduction. ;)

Maybe. Taking a deduction for a loss in coin sales has much more of an “it depends” than does recording a profit as income.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file